PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
Okay, I took a chance on P&C, got 18 ounces of Gawith Hoggarth Kendal Gold Banana, and here are some thoughts after two bowls.
img_20170519_002125-337x600.jpg

The golden Virginia ribbons are a fine shag cut that are dry to the touch out of the bag, yet pliant. No goopy stickiness or need for dry time. The bag note is of slightly overripe banana peels, not so much as when large black spots begin to appear, but when they start to freckle. The charring light is Virginia sweetness, and the smoke is Virginia hay and grass with light banana in the background. This is where it gets interesting. The banana doesn't present itself like banana candy, it's more toasted banana like what you would taste in a banana muffin or banana bread. This comparison made itself more pronounced in my car. I smoked a bowl in my car on my lunch break tonight, and when leaving at the end of my shift, my car had a bakery smell to it. Very pleasant room note. Burned to the bottom of the bowl with minimal tamping, and the smoke was cool and dry even when pushed. I wouldn't necessarily label this one an aromatic as I would call it a fruit enhanced Virginia. Virginia smokers should give this one a go, but those looking for a heavy banana aromatic won't find it here. A very good hybrid tobacco that I will be buying more of.
img_20170519_002109-337x600.jpg

newbroom

Lifer
Jul 11, 2014
Florida
When I first started out, the thought of such things as banana muffins tasting or smelling tobacco was exactly what gave me the impetus to experiment.

I don't have the appetite for many of the so called aromatics and favor pure tobacco tastes with a decent nicotine content, but the spice of life IS variety.

This blend sounds pretty good. Would you compare the base tobacco to that of C&D's AE?

Another blend that seems to be 'similar' would be D&R Athey.

By similar, I mean VA based, shag/ribbon cut with a light sweet topping, or as in AE's instance, several applications of topping over time?

ophiuchus

Lifer
Mar 25, 2016
:clap:
Sounds cool as hell! Dry Virginia ribbon, toasted banana vs. candy, non-aro that smells good ... from one of the few who appreciates both Rattay's Exotic Orange and Paladin Black Cherry. You friggin' sold me. I'm going to try some of this out! Domo arigato gozaimasu! :puffy:

I've been smoking through an 8ox bag I bought when it was first released. It had a hint, a smudge, a mere suggestion of banana as Duane has said at the very first opening of the bag, but then as the tobacco dries out, it doesn't seem to have any of that flavoring. Hmmm, mild to medium. I never felt like my nic itch was scratched at all with this one, and I usually smoke straight Virginias in the daytime. But, everyone is different when it comes to this. I would have to put it in the no nicotine category for me, but YMMV.
I found this to be much better blended in with other mixtures, instead of by itself. It adds a mellow and oily taste in a mix, which can be great with the right mix. By itself, I found it very monotone from start to finish, and if pushed the slightest bit can be bitey also. But, that may just be the steam. Mine came sopping wet, as most of the products by this blending house usually do.
But it a unique tobacco, worth trying, for sure. Good review. I will also add that it is hard for me to detect the taste of banana in banana bread. So, maybe It is out of my flavor range.

prairiedruid

Lifer
Jun 30, 2015
The Captain of the Black Frigate has returned to port. Last time it was a load of exotic oranges and this time bananas; could mangoes and papaya be far behind. And rum, always rum. :lol:

Reactions: elasmo

mayfair70

Lifer
Sep 14, 2015
The Captain of the Black Frigate has returned to port.

Aye. Good review Cap! I like the D&R fine shag Virginias and they are always a good burning smoke.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OGldNpngDws :puffy:

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
But it a unique tobacco, worth trying, for sure. Good review. I will also add that it is hard for me to detect the taste of banana in banana bread. So, maybe It is out of my flavor range.
That's how baked goods with banana are. The banana aspect gets lost in the baking, but if it wasn't there, it would be missed. Same with this tobacco. The Virginia hay and sweetness is there, but with that extra sweetness from the banana. I was very pleased that this was not overly done to taste like banana candy. I'm thinking about trying this with a light burley to give it a bit of nuttiness as well. May resemble banana nut muffins.

Reactions: Scottmi
Status
Not open for further replies.