PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Briar Lee

Lifer
Sep 4, 2021
Humansville Missouri
My pipes came today and frankly, were a bit disappointing.

Instead of being inlaid five pointed star pipes, they are merely stamped.

Boo who who waaaa!

Poor me.

I’m too spoiled with too many Lees.:)

The Canadian is a push stem, and except for stamped stars the quality is typical middle run top of the curve Lee production.

I wonder, if Stuart Allen bought Lee at the meridian height of inlaid five pointed star quality?

If only, the Lees could talk.:)

Briar Lee

Lifer
Sep 4, 2021
Humansville Missouri
The previous owner of these two Lees was extraordinarily fortunate to enjoy two of the finest pipes I own in my huge stash of pipes. Both were spotlessly clean inside, but moderately caked. I used a sharp pocket knife to clean the chambers of both down to bare briar, and both smoke as cool, sweet, and mild as the best of my pipes can smoke.

Except for the stamped stars, these two Lees equal the very best Pre War Kaywoodies. To try and duplicate this level of briar quality today would cost a whole lot of money.

Just because the stars are not inlaid is no reason to pass on a Star Grade Lee.

B1E549EE-0D7F-4AAD-A4BE-3D01EC31A87D.jpeg2E808A60-30D7-4569-B47D-C0E77D1FF2BF.jpeg

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
In the semi-rural NorthEastern USA
An extremely high condition Lee Three Star 7 point star walnut stained medium squat Bulldog. $40 on eBay, delivered today.

It had been smoked once or maybe twice, halfway down.

View attachment 164713View attachment 164714View attachment 164715View attachment 164716View attachment 164717View attachment 164718View attachment 164719View attachment 164720
This one has really nice grain, above and beyond typical three star, but it’s dark stained, so they could use briar with more hidden fills.

Cleanup was with ever clear and 4/0 steel wool, plus grapeseed oil.

These were the best factory pipes on earth in 1946.

And, it’s a mere $10 Three Star.
beautiful pipe.

Briar Lee

Lifer
Sep 4, 2021
Humansville Missouri
Playing around examining these pipes, the Canadian, especially, simply had to have been hand made, by a master artisan. He didn’t use the screw stem because of the six inch flattened oval shank meant a long bore hole, and the push stem he hand filed is noticeably not concentric unless pushed in one way.

Damn, Lee was at the top of their game during this period.

The briar used on both pipes is just impossibly close grained, with spectacular flame and cross grain, and not even the smallest fill is evident.

And these only rated three stars. There were two grades above these.

Each Lee should be examined on an individual basis.

None are bad, but a few are truly among the best pipes ever made, period.

Red Leader

Might Stick Around
Feb 12, 2022
Colorado
I've been looking at Lees, since I genuinely want to add a nice example to my collection of vintage American pipes, but this thread brings up a philosophical conundrum...

Does @Briar Lee extol the virtures of these pipes so much so that he is unable to keep from buying them all, thereby negating all his efforts to have everyone else buy one to try?:ROFLMAO:

I actually have a bid on one right now...but who knows if I'll make it to the finish line! I think it is a 3-star 7-point stamped star stem.

Reactions: Briar Lee

Fralphog

Lifer
Oct 28, 2021
Idaho
Two Lee Three Stars are on the way, one Standard Bulldog and a curious saddle bit Canadian with stars on the shank. Price was $35 each, delivered.

Both appear in high condition, and five pointed star inlaid era.

View attachment 182546View attachment 182547View attachment 182548View attachment 182549
Where do you find Lee pipes. Your enthusiasm for them has sparked my interest. I’ve looked on a few estate pipe sites but haven’t come across one yet. Even on eBay.

Reactions: Briar Lee

Briar Lee

Lifer
Sep 4, 2021
Humansville Missouri
There is a way you can program eBay to send email alerts when Lee pipes come up for sale.

I’ve never sold a Lee. I can’t imagine ever wanting to.

If I pay more than $30 I’m buying what I think is a middle period inlaid five pointed star example in high condition.

Be careful to look at the stems. I cannot imagine it’s economical to replace a stem on a true Lee Star Grade with a screw stem.

I think what us Lee pipe lovers are seeing is a form of survivor bias, where the best and most expensive pipes were given by wives and sweethearts to men who didn’t smoke a pipe. This explains why Three Star Lees ($10) vastly outnumber the Two Stars ($5) that almost all got smoked up and tossed.

These last two Lees I bought were smoked, and smoked a lot.

But some pipe lover like us smoked them. He didn’t hurt either one a bit.

Reactions: Fralphog

Briar Lee

Lifer
Sep 4, 2021
Humansville Missouri
I have a very similar Lumberman: push stem, stars stamped on the shank instead of the stem. Yours makes only the second I’ve seen with that stamping.
View attachment 183046View attachment 183047View attachment 183048View attachment 183049View attachment 183050
Still some pretty briar in these later models.]
Look at that briar.

If you sent that masterpiece to a custom maker today and said make me one to match it,,,

Could it even be done?

And what would it cost if it could?

Briar Lee

Lifer
Sep 4, 2021
Humansville Missouri
Yes it could be done, and I don’t imagine it would be overly expensive.
As in how much?

The above pipe might have cost $15 in 1955 or so, whenever Lee quit inlaying jeweler’s gold into the stars, and there was a price increase to $5 per star.

An inflation calculator renders $167. But the Lee was a factory production pipe, you could either order or walk into a pipe shop and buy. My Lumberman is the same pattern.

The briar on Parsimonious Piper’s example looks even better than mine, and mine is gorgeous.

So let’s give our modern day artisan the benefit of $25 in 1955, which Lee would have gladly filled an order for the same Lumberman in a Five Star. That’s $278 in modern money.

Could $300 buy such a bauble?

I’d say it would be well worth that, if new from a master artisan.

Last edited:

telescopes

Pipe Dreamer and Star Gazer
As in how much?

The above pipe might have cost $15 in 1955 or so, whenever Lee quit inlaying jeweler’s gold into the stars.

An inflation calculator renders $166. But the Lee was a factory production pipe, you could either order or walk into a pipe shop and buy. My Lumberman is the same pattern.

The briar on Parsimonious Piper’s example looks even better than mine, and mine is gorgeous.

So let’s give our modern day artisan the benefit of $25 in 1955, which Lee would have gladly filled an order for the same Lumberman in a Five Star. That’s $278 in modern money.

Could $300 buy such a bauble?

I’d say it would be well worth that, if new from a master artisan.
Without a doubt. Check artisan prices for some of the lesser known pipe makers. My brother got one of better quality than what you are showing for around $150

Briar Lee

Lifer
Sep 4, 2021
Humansville Missouri
Without a doubt. Check artisan prices for some of the lesser known pipe makers. My brother got one of better quality than what you are showing for around $150
That’s good to know.

Lee’s little gadget screw stem system was a duralumin mortise, tenon, and removable stinger that would have only cost pennies in serial factory production. Today nobody would tool up to make it, the tooling cost would be prohibitive, not counting the learning curve to fit the gadget.

On some special shapes like the Lumberman it probably couldn’t be fitted.

His jeweler’s gold inlaid stars could be duplicated, but then and today stamped stars with fake gold would be lots cheaper.

The only Lee Star Grades I’ve seen with spectacular briar are in the middle run.

Then and today finding a flawless piece long enough to make a Lumberman with a six inch shank isn’t a Dr Grabow factory mill run item.:)

Not to mention hiring a man skilled enough to hand make the pipe and stem.

Last edited:

Parsimonious Piper

Can't Leave
Oct 12, 2019
Lee’s little gadget screw stem system was a duralumin mortise, tenon, and removable stinger that would have only cost pennies in serial factory production. Today nobody would tool up to make it, the tooling cost would be prohibitive, not counting the learning curve to fit the gadget.

On some special shapes like the Lumberman it probably couldn’t be fitted.
Could and was. This Canadian has a more slender stem than the Lumberman.
030E1D0B-9F45-4B53-BC3C-C7D60839C54F.jpegF6ABDC98-3251-4893-93F4-94CA0D65ED64.jpeg306598B0-FF83-41CA-9935-17CFA4AB73E3.jpeg

Briar Lee

Lifer
Sep 4, 2021
Humansville Missouri
Could and was. This Canadian has a more slender stem than the Lumberman.
View attachment 183383View attachment 183384View attachment 183385
So the elimination of the gadget was only to cut costs.

In college economics I was taught every company tries to build moats to make their product exclusive.

Lee’s biggest moat was those gold stars.

Maybe the five pointed stars were to cut costs, but I don’t think so. Until I’m shown otherwise I think it was an upgrade when the price structure was revised upward to five dollars a star.

The second moat was that in invisible, hidden screw stem with detachable stinger. Who really cared that much, about that? Push stems were cheaper.

And when they were brand new in the shop a fake gold star shone as brightly as an inlaid star.

I wonder if they quit oil curing briar, at the end? Dunhill did. A few smokes and it’s no longer a concern.

As much as they cost, and as scarce as advertising copy is, the wonder is Lee sold enough pipes we can hoard so many all these years later.:)

Briar Lee

Lifer
Sep 4, 2021
Humansville Missouri
Spectacular is subjective, but I’d apply it to the use of grain on this middle run ’dog. It’s aligned so that straight grain and birdseye alternate in adjacent ”fields” as you walk around the pipe. Not too shabby for a factory pipe.
View attachment 183386View attachment 183387View attachment 183388View attachment 183389
Wow.

That is my definition of spectacular.

And this is an ordinary mill run middle grade pipe, that if it cost $15 in 1955 would retail in a shop today for $167.

No way, no how, can a pipe that nice for sale in a shop today only be priced at $175.

They’d not sell enough to keep them on the rack.

Which probably explains the death of the Lee brand.