Show Off Your Foursquare / Panel Billiard Pipes!

SmokingPipes.com Updates

Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

AroEnglish

Rehabilitant
Jan 7, 2020
What I've wondered about this shape is: do they turn a billiard then flatten the sides or cut the four faces then round the corners?

Reactions: dunnyboy

georged

Lifer
Mar 7, 2013
Also, what was the purpose of the step cuts on the old English tenons?

'Tis a mystery.

I've never talked to anyone who actually knows. Steps were commonly found on many British factory brands, as well.

Best guess is it's simply an artifact of the tooling used to cut tenons at the factories which produced them that way, such as a hollow mill; or some indexing procedure the workers were told to do.

dunnyboy

Lifer
Jul 6, 2018
New York
Taking the liberty of expanding beyond four square to six squared. Four square is a Castello shape 33. The six-paneled billiard by Rainer Barbi is absolutely brilliant work. The stummel tapers towards the rim and the center ridge carries through the shank and stem. Very lucky to win this on recent eBay auction. I've included multiple photos from the listing to show off Barbi's virtuosity.Screenshot 2024-08-03 at 10.30.37 PM.jpegs-l1600.jpgs-l1600-1.jpgs-l1600-2.jpgs-l1600-3.jpgs-l1600-4.jpg

sasquatch

Lifer
Jul 16, 2012
What I've wondered about this shape is: do they turn a billiard then flatten the sides or cut the four faces then round the corners?
A very good question indeed. I've panelled round pipes, and I've started square and done the "rounding" at a later stage, and ... probably... probably that's a little bit easier. It's very weird though to take a block of briar, run it this way and that way, and another, and like this and NOW ... now it's ready for 5 minutes on the lathe.

AroEnglish

Rehabilitant
Jan 7, 2020
A very good question indeed. I've panelled round pipes, and I've started square and done the "rounding" at a later stage, and ... probably... probably that's a little bit easier. It's very weird though to take a block of briar, run it this way and that way, and another, and like this and NOW ... now it's ready for 5 minutes on the lathe.
Yeah I can imagine how odd that would feel 😂

• Love
Reactions: dunnyboy

Uguccione

Can't Leave
Jan 22, 2024
Italy
I'll tell you my opinion: the panel was born (like other shapes, especially free hand) in an attempt to avoid the imperfections of the briar.
Just as you cut off a slice of a rotten apple (and you don't throw away the whole apple), so someone, one day, after having made a Billiard, noticed an imperfection on the briar and decided to cut off a slice hoping to find the smooth underneath. Then, to even out and give symmetry to the whole, he also cut the other three sides.
Then, over time, it became a shape 😁

My two million dollars.

I have a couple 'flat-edgers'.
These are new-to-me Estates which I have not cleaned up yet, so no judging...

1.jpg2.jpg
First one (in the middle actually) is the true 4-panel - a Savinelli de luxe 515.
The lower one is a Kaywoodie Drinkless 6-panel 7781C.

I know its not a 4-panel so I make up for this with the one on top - which is 2 flat and two curved...
a Kaywoodie Super Grain 5122C.

And to answer the great debate of why make a 4-panel pipe, it is so you can smoke two at a time and they stabelize each other. This allows endless custome blends. Obviously this works better with the same size/shape pipe but we make due.

3.jpg

BingBong

Lifer
Apr 26, 2024
London UK
Has nobody made a 5-sider? I suppose there's a risk of a demon popping out halfway through a bowl of Haunted Bookshop.