Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

F

fMf Piper

Experimenting with bending stems with hot water. I never cared for the heavily bent bits, so I bent some straight bits until they were about level with the bowls. I'm very pleased with how they turned out and this mod was virtually free.
The stems turned out great and look awesome.

I may have to try this, I am not a fan of the sharp bend on my Diplomat either.

didimauw

Staff member
Jul 28, 2013
Burlington WI
I find it annoying that the stem(s) I've had in my MM General bend themselves just outside the ferrule. Maybe these need a more solid replacement stem than what comes with the General.
I have original forever stems for each of my cobs, but the draw is really restricted. Nice quality though!

Did you happen to leave yours in a hot vehicle? My first bent meerschaum ended up almost completely straight after one day in a hot car. Wouldn't even fit in it's case.

JRW11b

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 18, 2023
Nothing fancy, just a handful of Missouri Meets. The Freehand at the bottom was my dad’s that he grabbed at Iwan Ries in the late sixties.View attachment 215460
Got her all polished up now…
View attachment 215461
Thats a beautiful rifle you have there. My grandfather left me a Winchester model 94 when he passed. Thats a nice collection of cobs and a really relaxed doggo!!

thepipesman

Lurker
Apr 13, 2023
So after a couple smokes and cleaning my cob pipe today I decided to remove the sticker on the bottom. I discovered that the bottom center of the pipe is very soft, and would dent with light fingernail pressure. I am hoping this is just due to the soggy bowl from too many smokes without rest. Will it harden up again after drying out? I know they are cheap pipes, but does this mean its useful lifespan is coming to an end? How long do corn cob pipes typically last?

Jul 26, 2021
Metro-Detroit
So after a couple smokes and cleaning my cob pipe today I decided to remove the sticker on the bottom. I discovered that the bottom center of the pipe is very soft, and would dent with light fingernail pressure. I am hoping this is just due to the soggy bowl from too many smokes without rest. Will it harden up again after drying out? I know they are cheap pipes, but does this mean its useful lifespan is coming to an end? How long do corn cob pipes typically last?
Take care of your cob and it can last a lifetime. Some members have cobs 50 years old and @mikethompson did an experiment here:

While others may suggest other methods to plug the bottom of your cob, perhaps gluing a coin to the bottom may help. Being cheap and easily replaceable, you at least got your monies worth out of it.