PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

OldWill

Part of the Furniture Now
Feb 9, 2022
Blanco, Texas
These are only the ones that I currently have out to smoke. There are at least a dozen more that I have put away. Remember that I grew up in Missouri, so I acquired most of them before I left to ultimately become aTexan.
IMG_20220414_092145.jpg

Reactions: hoosierpipeguy

didimauw

Staff member
Jul 28, 2013
Burlington WI
These are only the ones that I currently have out to smoke. There are at least a dozen more that I have put away. Remember that I grew up in Missouri, so I acquired most of them before I left to ultimately become aTexan.
View attachment 139938
I like the one with the bullet casing on it. Looks like it's been smoked a lot! I'm not a fan of bullet attachments on pipes but I like how worn that pipe looks!

Fralphog

Lifer
Oct 28, 2021
Idaho
While visiting the local antique mall, I saw this little cob pipe and had to have it. It is a circa 1970s Missouri meerschaum pipe. They don’t make the diamond shank and stems much anymore.
Overall, it was in great shape. Minor carbon buildup on the rim and just a little bit of normal wear and tear on the cob and wood. I used a little Murphy’s soap on the outside and it cleaned up easily. The bowl needed some minor reaming and sandpaper. I decided to stand the top of the rim clean and apply some paragon wax. I had to pry an old filter out of the shank which was a little tricky.

The stem was intact but had some major tooth chatter on the end near the button. I looked and looked for some type of replacement stem and decided it was unlikely I would find one.
I went out to the workbench this morning and took a very sharp knife and some 600 grit wet dry sandpaper and went to work removing some of the significant tooth marks. After I smoothed it out fairly well, I took some Flitz Polish to it. It took some elbow grease but it finally turned out really nice. The polish cleaned up some of the minor scratches and really helped with the area I had cleaned up near the button. I used the Flitz polish on the nickel band as well.
Inhaste to get to the workbench, I forgot to take before and after pictures. But here’s a picture of this little gem!
image.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpgI showed it to my wife when I was done and she was impressed how well it turned out. Now to decide what type of Baccy to smoke in it?

Fralphog

Lifer
Oct 28, 2021
Idaho
My wife and I ran by the antique store this morning since we were in that part of town. The last vendor booth I went through had this wonderful Missouri Meerschaum pipe circa 1970s. Never been smoked! Everything is in great shape. I just need to run a pipe cleaner down it and smoke it.

I’m going to save this pipe for the up-and-coming Velvet tobacco smoking comparison and review sponsored by @ashdigger !
image.jpg
image.jpg

Bengel

Lifer
Sep 20, 2019
My wife and I ran by the antique store this morning since we were in that part of town. The last vendor booth I went through had this wonderful Missouri Meerschaum pipe circa 1970s. Never been smoked! Everything is in great shape. I just need to run a pipe cleaner down it and smoke it.

I’m going to save this pipe for the up-and-coming Velvet tobacco smoking comparison and review sponsored by @ashdigger !
View attachment 146006
View attachment 146007
Is that the antiques collective in Boise on Overland by the movies?

Bengel

Lifer
Sep 20, 2019
Used to go to that one on Overland, Youth Ranch’s would have pipes in there “antique” section, but not anymore that I can find.

Reactions: Fralphog

Dyakoff

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 16, 2022
Ukraine
I had owned 3 ordinary Missouri Meerschaum corncobs. Funny that only one of them won my heart and two got discarded.

Awful drilling didn’t stop it from being a great smoker.
A207A1FF-B761-4FB7-A8DF-187534EABA78.jpeg
Unfortunately age, and heavy usage in unfavourable weather conditions had taken its toll and it simply can’t take it much longer. So after some farewell polishing it has now been given honourable retirement on the stack.