PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Dec 3, 2021
Pennsylvania & New York
View attachment 329969

Just arrived today:

Kriswill Bernadotte 1815 BR
•.78” / 19.8mm chamber diameter
•2.13” / 54mm chamber depth

I’m super excited about this piece, it’s already my favorite pipe in my small collection to look at. Once I get it cleaned up, I hope it smokes as good as it looks!

That’s a really cool Kriswell—I love the triangular shank and the blast. Please take care when polishing the stem (so as not to obliterate the logo).

Reactions: Tongue-Fried

Hillcrest

Lifer
Dec 3, 2021
Bagshot Row, Hobbiton
Forgive my naivete, and I realize you can smoke any tobacco in any pipe, but for what tobacco are chimneys the preferred pipe by most chimney smokers ? There's probably an easier way to phrase that but why a chimney ? What is the advantage ? Thank you in advance for explaining.

Tongue-Fried

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 17, 2024
NC Foothills
That’s a really cool Kriswell—I love the triangular shank and the blast. Please take care when polishing the stem (so as not to obliterate the logo).

I love the shank and blast too, I’ve been staring at it since I opened the mail this afternoon.

I’m wary of the logo as well… it’s got a decent amount of oxidation on the stem that’ll need to be addressed: will an oxi-clean bath remove the logo paint? If so, I’ll just tape the logo and micro mesh the stem, skipping the oxiclean bath.

In the meantime, the stummel got a gentle warm water (with a couple drops of Murphy’s) brush-down with a soft toothbrush, then dried with a paper towel. I placed a clean pipe cleaner in the draught hole, a cotton ball in the chamber, wet the cotton ball with alcohol, and set it aside.

I put a drop of Dawn Free and Clear on the logo, and gave it the gentlest brushing I could muster with a soft toothbrush. The logo didn’t brighten up completely, but I didn’t feel comfortable going any further (quit while you’re ahead).

Upon reinspection, the stummel looks superb, and boasts a soft gloss. I’ll give it some Renaissance wax, and that should be that. It’ll just be the stem to finish after that.

Dec 3, 2021
Pennsylvania & New York
I love the shank and blast too, I’ve been staring at it since I opened the mail this afternoon.

I’m wary of the logo as well… it’s got a decent amount of oxidation on the stem that’ll need to be addressed: will an oxi-clean bath remove the logo paint? If so, I’ll just tape the logo and micro mesh the stem, skipping the oxiclean bath.

In the meantime, the stummel got a gentle warm water (with a couple drops of Murphy’s) brush-down with a soft toothbrush, then dried with a paper towel. I placed a clean pipe cleaner in the draught hole, a cotton ball in the chamber, wet the cotton ball with alcohol, and set it aside.

I put a drop of Dawn Free and Clear on the logo, and gave it the gentlest brushing I could muster with a soft toothbrush. The logo didn’t brighten up completely, but I didn’t feel comfortable going any further (quit while you’re ahead).

Upon reinspection, the stummel looks superb, and boasts a soft gloss. I’ll give it some Renaissance wax, and that should be that. It’ll just be the stem to finish after that.

I personally have not used OxiClean, but I have used Before and After Pipe Stem Deoxidizer, which can be safe for some logos, but not for others—it depends on the logo. I would err on the side of caution and skip the OxiClean bath and tape the logo and go with micro mesh.

Reactions: Tongue-Fried