PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Searock Fan

Lifer
Oct 22, 2021
U.S.A.
Castello Crew, I need your thoughts.

Anyone know if finding this finish in a shape 11 will be pretty hard to do? I really like the look of this 10 but would much rather have it in a shape 11.

A lot of people like the "Natural Virgin" finish on some Castello pipes. Or, the same finish, called whatever, on other brands. Supposedly these pipe are not stained and may or may not have a coat of wax. That's it. Here's the problem. They may look pretty when new, but unlike some other finishes they do not age well. The oils and dirt from your fingers and elsewhere will penetrate into the wood and pretty soon you have a pipe the just looks dirty and ugly. But hey, each to his own. puffy

dowddddnload.jpg

Jun 23, 2019
A lot of people like the "Natural Virgin" finish on some Castello pipes. Or, the same finish, called whatever, on other brands. Supposedly these pipe are not stained and may or may not have a coat of wax. That's it. Here's the problem. They may look pretty when new, but unlike some other finishes they do not age well. The oils and dirt from your fingers and elsewhere will penetrate into the wood and pretty soon you have a pipe the just looks dirty and ugly. But hey, each to his own. puffy

View attachment 237114

That's a point of personal opinion - like meerschaum pipes, the people who like the natural vergin finishes often also like the way they dirty over time.

AroEnglish

Lifer
Jan 7, 2020
Midwest

View attachment 237114
Good point! Do you have any pics of smoked ones (or know where I can find some)?

Reactions: dunnyboy

tfdickson

Lifer
May 15, 2014
East End of Long Island
Good point! Do you have any pics of smoked ones (or know where I can find some)?

Here is one of mine, quite well smoked. You can see a dark spot on the back of the bowl where my thumb rests. Also the opposite side of the bowl is darker than the side visible in the pic as I’m right handed so that’s the side that my fingers and palm contact.

B77A0C4F-E1D6-4585-BBCF-174B6572C077.png

Jul 28, 2016
Finland-Scandinavia-EU
I do like pipes with natural finishes or where only a light stain was applied but one thing, I really don't like is that bowl rims on the aforementioned types of pipes are very prone to darkening. theres sem to be no way to prevent it ,I have several pipes with more or less natural finishes ,mostly ashton&dunhill brand ,bowl rims on all these turned to dark. some people say cold coffee and meticulous rubbing with microfiber cloth may help to remove those darkening and soothing.

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
I do like pipes with natural finishes or where only a light stain was applied but one thing, I really don't like is that bowl rims on the aforementioned types of pipes are very prone to darkening. theres sem to be no way to prevent it
Other than darkening with the rest of the pipe, I've noticed no unusual darkening. This one was unstained.

Screenshot_20230609-133242_Samsung Internet.jpgScreenshot_20230609-133325_Samsung Internet.jpg20230802_043000.jpg20230802_043652.jpg

Searock Fan

Lifer
Oct 22, 2021
U.S.A.
There are "true" virgin finished and then there are those that are just called "virgin" but actually are not. The latter lack a stain but do have a coating of shellac that seals them and helps to keep them clean looking and makes them color like any other pipe.

p.s. There is a myth that all the "good" pipe makers don't use shellac on their pipes. Don't believe it, almost all do. puffy

Reactions: dunnyboy

telemitry

Lurker
Aug 28, 2023
View attachment 243213
IMG_6167.jpeg

First post, longtime lurker. So I’ve been into pipe smoking for a few years now. I started with my buddy here in TN Pete Prevost’s pipes and still love them. Then got into Savinelli, and a Dunhill kick and enjoyed hunting patent era estate pieces . After reading several posts on here I decided to try a Castello. Luca at T. Corti was an amazing tour guide. I decided if I’m going to get my first “55” I might as well go with a Cadillac. This is a 4K Fiammata with bark style top. I joked with Luca that it feels like power steering on a pipe it draws so smooth. There truly is something special about these pipes. New favs for sure