PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

dunnyboy

Lifer
Jul 6, 2018
New York
Absolutely stunning! Thanks for sharing the photos. Is this pipe dedicated to specific type or blend?
It is one of the few pipes I smoke English blends in, probably—and this makes no sense—because it's fumed. I also smoke other blends it it as well. Ghosts don't generally bother me.

Reactions: AroEnglish

dunnyboy

Lifer
Jul 6, 2018
New York
Castello 75th Anniversary shape 33 pot. I had an estate "chubby Canadian" that I sold a couple of years ago because it didn't smoke well. I'm hoping this one smokes better because I love the way it looks. Though it looks like a nose warmer it's actually 135mm long and, despite the short stem, clenches comfortably. Mind you, I'm used to the thick Castello bits!IMG_6221.jpegIMG_6222.jpegIMG_6223.jpeg

daveinlax

Charter Member
May 5, 2009
WISCONSIN
Some Really Nice Looking Wood! I especially like that 33 with the yellow stem. That subtle stain looks very unique and very good with the yellow stem. Love that chubby bowl with the plateau! One of the best looking Castello’s I’ve seen in a while!

Searock Fan

Lifer
Oct 22, 2021
U.S.A.
My 53rd Castello for my 50th birthday. Broke in today with Hogshead. View attachment 156751
Here's a tip, for what it's worth. Seeing this beauty it struck me what a shame it's going to be when the inside rim of the bowl gets scorched from lighting and smoking. Note how the pipe is bored so the inside edge is a sharp 90 degrees. This sharp edge looks good, but it gives a place for the flame and heat to start burning the wood. I've prevented this burning from happening on all my pipes. What I do is remove the 90 degree edge and make it into a 45 degree edge. There are several ways to do this, but perhaps the easiest is to use a ball shaped grinding stone. A drill press works best but a hand drill will work too if you take care. Just place the bowl against the stone and using a slow speed lightly grind the sharp edge till you get a 45 degree angle. Be sure to try and make the edge even all around. That's it. puffy

dunnyboy

Lifer
Jul 6, 2018
New York
Some Really Nice Looking Wood! I especially like that 33 with the yellow stem. That subtle stain looks very unique and very good with the yellow stem. Love that chubby bowl with the plateau! One of the best looking Castello’s I’ve seen in a while!
Thanks. That's high praise coming from you! I don't necessarily like all the Castello special edition releases but I really like the 75th Anniversary pipes. I would have liked to snag an old antiquari but I got a two different castello grades in addition to this pipe. Nice chunky feel in hand and they handle flakes beautifully.

dunnyboy

Lifer
Jul 6, 2018
New York
Here are the other two Castello "Castellos." The bottom one is a six-sided panel with a plateau top. IMG_6291.jpeg

AuroraSurrealis

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 24, 2019
Finland
Got my second searock from a post office yesterday. It’s a pipe from the time before K-grading and stamped as sa31, if my memory serves me well, pipes from year 1955 to 1965 have the sa/sb/sc sizing. When I’m checking shape 31 Castellos from the Internet, there’s quite a variation of desings what comes stem curvature and a ratio of length between stem and shank. Still, I find this a peculiar one.A6F4BCE8-D43F-4656-9E3B-FC21F489D7B8.jpegD67291E8-19EE-4C19-8D53-549AE63B91CE.jpeg