PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Kingsley

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 16, 2020
PA
For a long time I’ve despised Latakia, but, I’ve been trying to overcome that, so I’ve now a pipe specifically for Latakia-based blends. A Le Dune Shape 55.
C6C8E6B6-32AF-461D-BC96-A81DBD27B303.jpeg
This pipe is as massive as I’ve ever had, weighing in at 2.22 ounces, with a .93 inch chamber diameter and a 1.5 inch deep bowl. 86F7AFAC-690B-4BE4-BEEE-D2E9EB79D69C.jpeg
FCDF4041-27A2-46B1-BB98-9825356C3924.jpeg
Honestly, this makes me fear for the Penzance I’m currently running through it, as this pipe seems like a real consumer, but, I hope to focus on some other new-to-me blends as well, such as Captain Earle’s Mystic Blend and Nightwatch, G.L. Pease’s Quiet Nights, Ashton’s Artisan’s Blend and Father Dempsey. Either way, a gorgeous pipe, and so far, a wonderful smoker, let’s just see if I can keep it lit, and smoke half a bowl without passing out from the spins. XD

dunnyboy

Lifer
Jul 6, 2018
New York
Alright, it took two weeks, but, I finally found a make of one of their more popular shapes that caught my eye. It’s a Castello ‘Castello’ KKKK Shape 55, with a silver military mount. The bowl twist sold me immediately, and while completely smooth isn’t a common thing for me, I still think it looks quite good.
View attachment 137521View attachment 137522View attachment 137523View attachment 137524

Being a little over 5 inches, with a chamber diameter of .78, and a depth of 1.24 inches, and all together weighing only 30g, this is quite a small pipe. I know many of you adore/have experience with this shape, so I was wondering, I was looking to dedicate a pipe to Latakia-based blends, do you think that this pipe would do well for that, or should I have this pipe stick to my Virginias, like my other Castello? Also, surprisingly, I’m not looking for the sentiment that has been shared since time immemorial that you can smoke anything out of any pipe. I’m aware, we all are, I’m just shooting my shot.
Spectacular and unusual pipe. You've probably already decided about the question you asked. Personally, I like smoking english blends, especially ribbon cuts, out of larger bowls because the latakia seems to burn very rapidly. Larger 55s would be more suitable for lat blends. I'd reserve this petite beauty for your virginias.

dunnyboy

Lifer
Jul 6, 2018
New York
For a long time I’ve despised Latakia, but, I’ve been trying to overcome that, so I’ve now a pipe specifically for Latakia-based blends. A Le Dune Shape 55.
View attachment 138766
This pipe is as massive as I’ve ever had, weighing in at 2.22 ounces, with a .93 inch chamber diameter and a 1.5 inch deep bowl. View attachment 138771
View attachment 138772
Honestly, this makes me fear for the Penzance I’m currently running through it, as this pipe seems like a real consumer, but, I hope to focus on some other new-to-me blends as well, such as Captain Earle’s Mystic Blend and Nightwatch, G.L. Pease’s Quiet Nights, Ashton’s Artisan’s Blend and Father Dempsey. Either way, a gorgeous pipe, and so far, a wonderful smoker, let’s just see if I can keep it lit, and smoke half a bowl without passing out from the spins. XD
Beautiful 55! I've never seen a le dune with knurled rings and a brindle stem. Wow! Enjoy.