PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

mikethompson

Lifer
Jun 26, 2016
Near Toronto, Ontario, Canada
On our racks we have pipes that we've bought online, from a B&M, or from a vintage shop that cleans up well, smokes fine, and is generally drama free.

I'd like to see a pipe of yours that tells a story, whether it be how you got it, something funny while cleaning it up, or some back story to it. I think that more than other objects pipes have a certain quality to them that gives them personality.

Here is a globe Meer from *about* 1921. It was for sale here on the classifieds and I immediately commented on how beautiful it was, but alas no spare cash at the moment. Another forum member, lets call him Tim, bought it and decided to gift me the pipe. I was staggered and grateful. It could very well be the most beautiful pipe I will ever see.

P_20210120_124440.jpgP_20210120_124457.jpgP_20210120_124519.jpg

stevecourtright

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 4, 2018
Evanston, IL
IMG_1876.JPG

My Great-Uncle Pascoe - we called him Uncle Pat - earned his license to practice law around the time of the Prohibition and smoked pipes and cigars much of his life. He was also fond of Manhattans as were all of his siblings. In fact, my grandfather would often mix up a pitcher thereof and a number of his brothers would promptly arrive at the house at 4:00 to visit and have a glass. One of my favorite stories was about when Uncle Pat was offered a substantial sum to work for the "Capone boys." Uncle Pat would always say "Capone" with three syllables, so I accept that pronunciation as Gospel. Anyway, the amount often quoted was $1000 a week as a retainer. This was during a time when a nice apartment in Chicago would run you about $45 a month. Well, Pascoe was the oldest of a large family and he was expected to help out with the bills so he asked his father whether he should accept the offer. His father said, "I'm not going to tell you what to do but remember this: you can only say "no" once." Despite growing up with the Capone family in the neighborhood and considering them friends, he found a way to decline. Uncle Pat had a long and successful career and was still my favorite Great-Uncle when he passed away in his 90s. While I don't have one of his pipes, we do, on occasion, raise a Manhattan to his memory. At such times, we toast with the traditional family invocation: "Confusion to our enemies."

Merton

Part of the Furniture Now
Jul 8, 2020
Boston, Massachusetts
View attachment 103940

My Great-Uncle Pascoe - we called him Uncle Pat - earned his license to practice law around the time of the Prohibition and smoked pipes and cigars much of his life. He was also fond of Manhattans as were all of his siblings. In fact, my grandfather would often mix up a pitcher thereof and a number of his brothers would promptly arrive at the house at 4:00 to visit and have a glass. One of my favorite stories was about when Uncle Pat was offered a substantial sum to work for the "Capone boys." Uncle Pat would always say "Capone" with three syllables, so I accept that pronunciation as Gospel. Anyway, the amount often quoted was $1000 a week as a retainer. This was during a time when a nice apartment in Chicago would run you about $45 a month. Well, Pascoe was the oldest of a large family and he was expected to help out with the bills so he asked his father whether he should accept the offer. His father said, "I'm not going to tell you what to do but remember this: you can only say "no" once." Despite growing up with the Capone family in the neighborhood and considering them friends, he found a way to decline. Uncle Pat had a long and successful career and was still my favorite Great-Uncle when he passed away in his 90s. While I don't have one of his pipes, we do, on occasion, raise a Manhattan to his memory. At such times, we toast with the traditional family invocation: "Confusion to our enemies."
Great advice...sort of like " never write when you can speak, never speak when you can nod and never nod when you can wink"...and a Manhattan is a great classic cocktail meeting Noel Cowards advice that a cocktail should be anesthetic and antiseptic... i love the family invocation. In my family we use a long family tradition that the gaelic motto on our traditional family crest meand " bite em in the ass"

Briar Lee

Lifer
Sep 4, 2021
Humansville Missouri
Here’s exactly the same size long, small, straight apple Dr. Grabow that my pipe smoking idol Harry Hosterman favored, the kind he bought himself for maybe two dollars, when I was a little kid in the early sixties.

Mine is a newer Blue Spade Golden Duke, and Harry probably bought the Lark, but it’s the same shape. It rights itself on a table when you sit it down. You can get about 35 smokes from an ounce and a half of tobacco if the cake is kept to the thickness of a dime. It stays lit, because of the small chamber. And it fits in a certain pocket on a pair of Big Smith bib overalls.

0C7F7DA8-5D8F-4057-B396-EDAD125CB89A.jpeg
83CDBE53-9E42-4291-B4AC-5467C7D4B68A.jpeg8F230510-A8D7-4BF6-9702-A2FFC1917319.jpeg
Harry Hosterman wasn’t poor, and wasn’t rich. He was a loving husband, kind father, excellent provider, and faithful servant of the Master. He lived so far back in the tall timber of Spout Spring Hollow he’d usually take his pickup and drive to our place, instead of walk in his tireless lope he and my father and even I walk with.

Much is written in praise of Nathaniel Bedford Forrest and the Rebel cavalry. The Youngers and Quantrill and the James brothers are legends.

My people suppressed that rebellion, bought up the estates of dead rebels, and built new schoolhouses and churches, to better serve the Master.

Harry Hosterman was the grandson of a Missouri Volunteer Dark Horse Cavalryman of the Eighth Regiment.

He and my father and their generation were the last to chase foxes with hounds at night and could walk through pitch blackness in the timber without a kerosene lantern light. I tried it and it scared me so much I had to light my lantern to walk behind them.

We were hillbillies, once, in the Scottish highlands long ago.

I learned so many stories I couldn’t possibly tell any one, without having to tell another and another.

So I’ll leave it at that, for now.:)

Jun 18, 2020
Wilmington, NC
Here’s exactly the same size long, small, straight apple Dr. Grabow that my pipe smoking idol Harry Hosterman favored, the kind he bought himself for maybe two dollars, when I was a little kid in the early sixties.

Mine is a newer Blue Spade Golden Duke, and Harry probably bought the Lark, but it’s the same shape. It rights itself on a table when you sit it down. You can get about 35 smokes from an ounce and a half of tobacco if the cake is kept to the thickness of a dime. It stays lit, because of the small chamber. And it fits in a certain pocket on a pair of Big Smith bib overalls.

View attachment 104101
View attachment 104105View attachment 104106
Harry Hosterman wasn’t poor, and wasn’t rich. He was a loving husband, kind father, excellent provider, and faithful servant of the Master. He lived so far back in the tall timber of Spout Spring Hollow he’d usually take his pickup and drive to our place, instead of walk in his tireless lope he and my father and even I walk with.

Much is written in praise of Nathaniel Bedford Forrest and the Rebel cavalry. The Youngers and Quantrill and the James brothers are legends.

My people suppressed that rebellion, bought up the estates of dead rebels, and built new schoolhouses and churches, to better serve the Master.

Harry Hosterman was the grandson of a Missouri Volunteer Dark Horse Cavalryman of the Eighth Regiment.

He and my father and their generation were the last to chase foxes with hounds at night and could walk through pitch blackness in the timber without a kerosene lantern light. I tried it and it scared me so much I had to light my lantern to walk behind them.

We were hillbillies, once, in the Scottish highlands long ago.

I learned so many stories I couldn’t possibly tell any one, without having to tell another and another.

So I’ll leave it at that, for now.:)
This thread was just calling your name! You are a master story teller.

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
The first Rad Davis pipe I bought in August of 2012 was an epiphany as to how well a pipe could smoke. I had owned Formers, Rainer Barbi's, Castello's, Matzholds, Balleby's, Upshalls, Dunhills, and tons more. Not a one smoked as cool and dry and none had a stem as good as Rad's.

I was told to check out Rad by a guy named Big Van on this site as he collected American made artisan pipes. I was also told by a guy named Ed Anderson(rip) who created a private forum over at pipesmokers.uk. That board was called the Common Sewers and there was lots of knowledge there. Ed told me to buy quality instead of quantity. Between Big Vance and Ed I began collecting Rad's pipes and other American artisans.

My first Rad was a brand new Lovat that I bought from Marty Pulvers. My second was my first commission with Rad or with anyone else for that matter. Rad made it so easy, never asked for a deposit and didn't make me wait 6 months or longer. I ended up with a 7 day set of Rad's and lots more. At one time I owned 22 of his pipes.

I also learned a valuable lesson, when Rad retired I was planning on another 7 day set and bang, no more Rad's. If people think I am nuts for buying so many Jack Howell pipes, it is because I know what his real job is and when he gets back to it, you won't see anymore Howell's. He disappeared years ago before I could buy even one pipe. I am now talking to him about my 13th pipe from him and will keep going for as long as he is still carving. After my culling my 36 count rack is full and my 15 count is empty. I have a basket for my two big pipes that won't fit in any rack and I have a few meers that collect dust.

Working with Jack is a pleasure and it is pretty much like working with Rad again. His pipes smoke just like my Rad's and the stem work is great.

I also have some other American artisan pipes in my collection and will add only new pipes if possible. All of my Howells have been commissions. Most of the Rad's in my cabinet are also commissions. My days of stealing pipes on ebay or at smoking pipes are done. There are just too many people smoking lakeland swill and I am done having to deal with their ghosts. If wood is showing on an estate I like I will go after that.
Here is my first Rad that started it all.

Here is my first Howell

Here is my latest Howell

kcghost

Lifer
May 6, 2011
Olathe, Kansas
I have a W. O. Larsen Danish pipe. It's a half=bent, rusticated freehand. One day at the St. Louis pipe show Tonni Nielsen asked what I was smoking. I told him the blend and said I was smoking a W.O. Larsen. He looked at me oddly and asked to see the pipe. I handed it to him and he looked at it carefully and said, "I made this pipe". I was a little shocked because the pipe was thirty years old. I later learned that Tonni had served as an apprentice at W.O. Larsen starting when we was a teenager. I later acquired 3-4 more Tonni's and can finally see how he recognized it as his. He makes the most elegant to bits in the world.