PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

newbroom

Lifer
Jul 11, 2014
Florida
Storytime about pipes.
I'm sure most of us have at least one or two cobs in our racks or boxes and probably favor one over another for some vague or not so vague reason.
Anyway, I have several, and my favorite for many years, in addition to the one that started me into pipe smoking has been a MM Pride 2nd. and I've often used the pin on a Czech tool to plunge through a too tightly packed bowl to open it up. Well, several times, I've found that I've pierced the pith. Not a good thing.
So, I tend to smoke my funkiest pipes because they're available to carelessness I suppose, and one of those has been a Dr. Grabow Westbrook small wire brush rusticated apple. It's made of briar, so, whenever I used the pin on the Czech tool, I was unconcerned, until one day, probably after having smoked it a few bowls in a row, I plunged the pin right through the bottom of my trusty Westy.
I've got several sad like stories of pipe calamities, but they are all just lessons in the hobby and in life.
Most of the time, I have no trouble at all.

Reactions: kcghost

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
Wow! That's a very nice looking pipe. That stem transition is great.
Thanks very much. I thought it turned out quite well. All I did was ask him to do a new color for me and give the Rhodesian a smooth top. He knows what type of dimensions I want so I don't have to bust my balls over a commission.