Should I Send My Grandpa A Block of Briar To Carve (pic heavy)

SmokingPipes.com Updates

Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

photoman13

Lifer
Mar 30, 2012
I have been thinking of sending my grandpa a block of briar to make some kind of figural pipe. He is a very talented carver and has even been in carving magazines. I am worried about the briar being too hard to carve. He has really high end carving tools but am not sure whether or not he could carve briar. What do you guys think?
Here are some of his carvings. Sorry about the crappy phone pictures.

0618021006b.jpg

0618021005.jpg

0618021006a.jpg

eagle.jpg

0618021007a.jpg

johnnyrebel

Starting to Get Obsessed
Dec 3, 2010
Heck yea, that sounds awesome. That'd be really cool to have a piece to smoke from that your Grandpa carved out too.

photoman13

Lifer
Mar 30, 2012
I would probably go the drilled route. I know that he normally uses a soft wood to carve. Although he has built everything from a Model T to a model airplane. I am thinking why not just let him give it a try. Any good places to buy pre-drilled blocks that are cheap? I'm very tight right now so an emphasis on cheap is pretty important!

ichbinmuede

Part of the Furniture Now
Feb 17, 2011
It'd definitely be more difficult to carve than the usual stuff but it would mostly mean that he'd have to sharpen his tools more often. I can't imagine that a guy with the level of skill and experience shown in the pics (which is downright staggering to me) would have much trouble with it. I wouldn't be surprised if he had a grand old time with it.
I do know that 4noggins offers some drilled ebauchon kits for a reasonable price and there's also J.H. Lowe who offers the same but in a wider range of sizes and for a slightly better price.
Just what I know and think. I don't mean to sound like some forum know-it-all if I do. :P

dochudson

Lifer
May 11, 2012
I would get him the best wood I could.. those cravings in your pictures are outstanding. You might want to talk to him about your idea and see what he thinks would be best a kit or block, size, etc.
Tinsky kits

dervis

Lifer
Jan 30, 2012
Hazel Green AL
You should not send him 1, you should send him 100. Sell them buy a store front with a glass window where people can watch him work and become a must have pipe brand. The talent is there in those pictures. I am blown away

photoman13

Lifer
Mar 30, 2012
I think, for now I want to just find a cheap drilled one to send him in the mail for a surprise. If it turns out well I might see if he wants another one that he could pick himself. He hasn't carved anything in 4 years so he might not be into carving a pipe. As I've said cheap for me, right now, is best.

mluyckx

Lifer
Dec 5, 2011
Texas
Amazing carving work 8O
Tinsky, Pimo, JH Lowe.. any of those three are good. Which one you pick depends on your definition of "cheap" ;-)

dochudson

Lifer
May 11, 2012
If it turns out well from the look's of those pictures I would be extremely surprised if it turned out anything other then outstanding.

photoman13

Lifer
Mar 30, 2012
I've thought about meerschaum but I know very little about it. I would assume those kits would be quite a bit more.

lonestar

Lifer
Mar 22, 2011
Edgewood Texas
I believe he would have a lot more fun carving meerschaum. Carving briar into figurals I really think will be an art to itself, something he would have to learn carving all over again to do.

Meerschaum on the other hand is like carving something slightly harder than a bar of soap. All of his softwood carving skills would be immediately applicable.

He has a wonderful talent with those carvings !

lonestar

Lifer
Mar 22, 2011
Edgewood Texas
On the cheap; http://www.tobacco-barn.com/s-165-carve-your-own-meerschaum-kits.aspx

For the real deal; http://altinokmeerschaumpipes.com/detail.asp?product_id=ME170
Google "carve your own meerschaum" for more options.

nsfisher

Lifer
Nov 26, 2011
Nova Scotia, Canada
Hell yes, send him a piece. If you don't want to, I will. Just give me his addy. He has talent and I am sure it would be a very nice pipe. But, I would make it a pre-drilled though.

Status
Not open for further replies.