PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

topd

Lifer
Mar 23, 2012
Emerson, Arkansas
Being in South West Arkansas, I seldom have a chance to visit an actual brick and mortar tobacco shop, so since retiring here in '91 I do almost all my shopping on-line. When I do get to the big city and walk into a shop, if I have any questions, the first one will be "Are you a pipe smoker?" I try to remember that shop owners have a product to sell and will most likely try steering you toward what they have the largest stock in, and want to get rid of. So I seldom ask for advice there, I know what I want before walking in.

Read reviews of different tobacco's, a good place is TobaccoReviews.com and here, PipesMagazine.com. Tobacco reviews gives the contents of every tobacco listed, Perique or Latakia, etc....

By the way, 'I would have been Pissed!' and would have had an equally snide remark for him.
TopD

cyndi

Lifer
Nov 14, 2009
Flowery Branch, GA
As the daughter of a cranky old asshole, I would have just thanked him for his time and left. I love old guys who have fountains of knowledge in their heads but when they get in "a mood" I just figure they have a hemorrhoid and won't be of much help at all. If it's worth it to you, keep stopping by and maybe one of those times he'll be in the mood to talk. If not, there are other places that sell tobacco...

lifeon2

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 19, 2012
denver co
There is no excuse for poor customer service. I have had plenty of bad days but regardless of what kind of day I am having my customers get the questions they have answered in a pleasant manner and I go out of my way to be helpful in any way I can. I spent almost an hour teaching a customer draw and presentation drills and I didnt make a dime for it, this particular guy comes to me for everything even though he knows I cant beat a lot of the big box stores and quite a few of the online retailers. He gave me a shot a while back and was so impressed he now refuses to go to anyone else and on top of that he has sent me a ton of referral business. So yeah I dont care how much knowledge someone has if you want to be an ass I can go elsewhere because it has always chapped my hide that those with a bit of knowledge seem to forget that they werent born with it, once upon a time they were as ignorant as the newest guy they meet.

maduroman

May 15, 2010
as a certified cranky old asshole, sometimes we just are more cranky than others.
the young fellers that flock to me for advice on life, women and smoke can tell at a glance if it is a good day to ask for my pearls of wisdom.

steyrshrek

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 1, 2012
Just because they are old doesn't make them wise, it's obvious he has very little wisdom in regards to customer relations.

spartan

Lifer
Aug 14, 2011
This thread to me would benefit if the site had a "Polling" funtion.
30% Suggested you give the old geezer another go.
70% Said "**** him." :puffy:

taerin

Lifer
May 22, 2012
He's screwing himself by doing business like that, however he could have thought right after saying that "woops, that sure came out wrong!" I never let a snyde comment end a relationship; just add it as a negative to doing business with him and see if the benefits still outweigh the negatives, such as less than stellar customer service.

barkar

Lifer
Apr 17, 2012
There is always this group of people that seem to think by talking down to someone they elevate themselves. Your red wine must be dry, your steak must be med rare, pipe tobacco must be english blend, your golf balls can't be solid centres, and the list goes on and on. The fact is you likely know more then they do but just don't boast about it. I would tell him to shove his tobacco where the light doesn't shine and never set foot in the place again.... :puffpipe:

carlosviet

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 23, 2012
And, maybe, he is not putting you down, but criticizing the Perique touch snobbism. I have seen pipe smokers arguing passionately if there was -or not- Perique in the tobacco they were smoking. Yes, some times is noticeable, and many others, it is just so because you read it in the tin. Like the "ripe plum flavors" of some red wines.
Just a possibility. Instead of saying that you were not good enough for Perique, maybe he was saying that you were too good for it.
I like to think good of people :D

captainbob

Oct 5, 2010
gwynclan,
In my opinion, you certainly are entitled to be offended. Personally, I would have been offended, as well. Instead of snobbing you, he should have expressed admiration in your desire to move deeper into your interest in pipe tobacco. He should have complimented you on your dedication and then given you a free sample of what you were seeking. This was his opportunity to deepen his relationship with you and become your mentor. If, he indeed knew what he was talking about, he should have offered additional insight and information into the adventure of blends containing Perique. There is a lot to be said about Perique. If there is an alternative pipe shop, I'd look elsewhere. I don't think this guy will be valuable to you. He certainly does not deserve your business.

__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

guitarguy86

Jul 6, 2012
I was just in a similar predicament. I traded in one of my guitars for other instruments, and the store owner told me that I could come back in a week if I wasn't happy with the trade. So, I come back in a week because my wallet said I shouldn't have made the deal in the first place. Right before I walk out the door with the guitar I gave them a few days earlier, one of the owner's friends shook his head and smiled as if to say, "This kid." This incident quickly came to mind while reading your post here.

dochudson

Lifer
May 11, 2012
it would depend on the context and how you have interacted with him in the past. 75yo guys are going to act the way they act. he may have just been trying to get a rise out of you. I've said about the same thing to guys that bum cigars from me on the golf course. they always ask are these the good ones and I say they wouldn't know a $20 cigar from a rolled up dog turd. I find guys from the 60's seem to have a sarcastic type of humor the younger folks just don't get.

tre123

Might Stick Around
Jul 5, 2012
I recently started smoking a pipe. Did not know the first thing about it ( still very new but learning). Went to a tobacco shop in baton rouge, told the owner my situation. He sold me an enexpencive pipe, gave my an oz. of the tobacco he recommended to try first. Also gave me a tamper , pipe cleaners , and a two hand full of matches. He then gave me some instruction and told me when I am done with that oz. to bring my pipe back and sample some other blends to see what I would like to buy next time. So far my visits have always been a pleasure.

wnghanglow

Mar 25, 2012
The only B&M I have wouldn't know what an English or an aro blend was. In fact I asked if he carried captain black white and he said he didn't know what It was, and what he had was in the jars xD be lucky you have someone who at least knows enough to be a snob..

kabong30

Can't Leave
Jun 2, 2012
I work at a corporate Service Desk (IT) but I've also worked in restaurants and hotels (which shaped my view of customer service). My basic philosophy is this, "You (the customer) do not get paid to be an expert. You pay me to be that expert and to be able to tap that knowledge on demand." We recently had a "cranky old dude" working here and he was cranky one time too many to an executive and it got his ass fired. People tend to forget that there is a direct link between the customer and the pay check.
I try very hard to be nice to the folks who serve me in stores and restaurants and will put up with a fair amount as long as I can see the person is trying and maybe just having a tough time of it, but the second you pull an attitude and act like you're somehow better than I, the lowly customer, we're done. I have no problem with being direct and addressing an issue and explaining that an establishment has just lost my business.

karlj

Lurker
Jan 2, 2012
Steger, IL
Some people like to use sarcasm and ridicule. I find it an excellent teaching tool when I have an apprentice under me. Nothing meant to loose sleep over, just to keep em on their toes. In your case Id tell the guy "next time I want your opinion, Ill give it ot you" (dont try that with your wife though)

-Karl

mrenglish

Lifer
Dec 25, 2010
Columbus, Ohio
I used to work in a B&M and we had this one cranky customer who would come in and hang out. He had been smoking a pipe longer than I have been alive (he passed away, sadly). Anyway, he would always try and start arguments about the prices of tobacco or pipes or the owners or the color of the sky. I would always be polite and not take the bait, but one day was cranky and gave it back to him. The smile on his face was priceless and we were totally cool after that.
My recommendation would be to give it back to him in spades, but if it really bothers you then take your business elsewhere.

Status
Not open for further replies.