PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

nsfisher

Lifer
Nov 26, 2011
Nova Scotia, Canada
Once I am talked down to, I don't associate with that person again. If someone pisses me off, same thing, they do not exist to me anymore. But that is me. It all boils down to the fact that I would feel belittled, therefore, my business would be concluded in said establishment. Just my thoughts

jasongone

Part of the Furniture Now
Mar 23, 2011
I won't name any names sir, but being in the same neck of the woods I know what you speak of, and I have to say you now know what vibe has kept me out of there. I personally prefer the 130 year old option downtown Jeff.

ulteriorzaiak

Lurker
Feb 12, 2012
You know, the interactions I've had with the guys at Pipes and Cigars, Mr. Boswell, and Jack at Sterlings have been nothing less than exemplary. I may have to wait a couple of days for my products, but I know that I would never be spoken down to no matter what I asked or ordered.
I say never go back, as there are plenty of people out there that run shops that would love your business.

buster

Lifer
Sep 1, 2011
spartan wrote;

@Buster, your direct approach reminds me of a drug deal in the alley. Don't talk to the guy, just tell him what ya want, fork over the cash and get the hell out of there lol.
Well tobacco is a drug spartan so get your stuff and move on :puffy:
I only have one pipe shop in my area and they have awesome stuff but only one cranky old dude. I just put on the thick skin when he is working and dont sweat it. I do like portascat's shot back at him. Some times it takes a good shot to make them lighten up. If they can dish it out they should be able to take it.

orionpyoung

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 5, 2012
Marquette Michigan
I work in a natural grocery co-op. As a "specialty" store AND member driven, we have a very demanding customer base. In other words, a lot of very rude and self conceded jerks. So I wasn't surprised when I met a cranky, older professor with a New York accent that was entirely rude to most everyone. That all changed one day when she walked up to the customer service desk, where I had just talked down a cranky customer on the phone. Before she could open her mouth I said "So, what do you want to complain about today?" I regretted that at first and was actually in fear of my job when I realized she was laughing her ass off!!! Now her and I are great friends. She hates how fake everyone is in customer service and wants people to be more honest to each other. Now I look forward to her coming into the store, I look forward to being honest and mildly rude to a customer who will take it and give it back! I guess what I'm trying to say is that most all of my closest friends are people who I had to "work at" before they became friends. Some times you have to work through a persons defenses to get to know who they are.

portascat

Lifer
Jan 24, 2011
Happy Hunting Grounds
I am basically an reserved prick at first glance. I work Corrections, so my BS meter is in high gear all the time, and I rarely give committal answers to anyone (promises and favors can get you fired).
But, on the for real side, I am about as genial and mild mannered as anyone else, I suppose.
My response to him would be about what I would say in such a situation, had I presence of mind to think of it quickly. And I would expect a ration of crap back, and like many here imply, before it was all over me and that proprietor might be both looking forward to my next stop in. To see whom might best the other the next time.
Or, maybe he is just an asshole.

tedvig

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 21, 2011
Sorry to hear it. He sounds like a jackass plain and simple. If you've got other options, I'd patronize them.

dylan793

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 12, 2011
Buchanan, GA
Figured id chime in as someone from the other side if the counter. I don't work a B&M, but I do work in a liquor store. Very similar philosophies. Both have very low end stuff they shell out everyday, and both have high end artisanal, craft, specialty items for the connosieur.
I consider myself a spirits connosieur. Specifically in whisky. In defense of the cranky old man in the OP, sometimes I just don't feel like helping anyone. Im sure he doesn't either. Is that bad for business? Heck yeah, but we're only human. There's times where some customer will be asking ng me question about some obscure scotch whisky, and ill be all fired up in full-on whisky expert mode. Then sometimes I just want to tell people whatever will get them out the store quick enough so I can get back to playing on my cell phone :lol:
I prefer to do my own research anyway. A lot of these B&MS don't even know what they're selling as far as pipes go. I like the "back alley" mentioned a few posts up 8)

adam12

Part of the Furniture Now
May 16, 2011
PIPE SNOB ALARM
Best ignore him and take your $ elsewhere. Not much else you can do really.

billinsfl

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 28, 2010
Well, after all those years smoking a pipe, and selling tobacco stuff, he's probably got lots of valuable experience to share. He's probably seen his share of douchebags over the years (not that you're one of them) and also become just a wee bit opinionated as well.
He's probably right about the perique, too. I've been smoking English blends now for about 10 years and most of the time when I think I can detect perique, I am usually wrong. And hell, I've filled up my pipe and smoked straight perique several times before. I tend to agree with him about the 1 lb/month thing, too even though I don't think I've ever smoked that more than once or twice; I don't have the time to.
While his response to your question was not particularly "touchy-feely," next time ask him how he can tell the difference..amd listen. You can buy your tobacco from a mail-order house any time, but my guess is this fellow is a fountain of knowledge, and you just have to continue to get to know him, and learn what he has to share. He's probably not an asshole, just someone who's been around the block a few times and is careful who he shares with. Let us know what transpires.

lab1dobie

Might Stick Around
Mar 11, 2012
It doesn't make a difference if your a connoiseur or not. You had a question and had every right to receive an honest answer. He should be there to educate and not make judgements on your taste. I would take my business elsewhere. I'm sure there are other B and M's in your town or nearby or get what you need from some of the merchants listed on the side here on this site. I'm sure they would be glad to help.

fredvegas

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jun 2, 2010
Could it be that his presentation was faulty, but his facts correct? If the difference is very, very subtle, maybe it is something that you wouldn't notice, despite the experience you have. Maybe he could have found a better way to say it, though.

rigmedic1

Lifer
May 29, 2011
Maybe he was having a bad day? If he had been dealing with a couple of pipe snobs before you came in, it may have put him off. I have a boss that likes to tell me how to treat patients, even though he is not a medic and has only taken a first aid course. After a couple of rounds with him, I don't care to have another newcomer come in and tell me how to apply a bandaid. Different circumstance, but sort to the same, you know? Now if he is consistent with it, then I would suggest moving on.

steyrshrek

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 1, 2012
Life's too short to be upset about such an unimportant thing. Personally I would either find somewhere else to do business, if he makes you that unhappy with his level of service or disservice. If the store really has what you want and you can ignore his stupidity then frequent it, knowing full well the level of BS. He might just be a grumpy old curmudgeon and sometimes these guys think everyone loves their attitude and it takes awhile for you to "prove" yourself worthy to them. Anyways pipe smoking is suppose to be enjoyable and don't let one jerk take that away.

smeaton

Lurker
Dec 10, 2011
"You are right. A connesieur would not frequent this dump. Now, could you sell the poser here some of that 1Q you have renamed Misty Mountain Hop? "
Buster's advice is spot on. Cranky old dudes will warm up eventually. Be respectful, (gotta respect 60 years of pipe smoking) take his jibe, listen to and appreciate his advice. Once you know a thing or two about pipe smoking then you can give him some crap back. I love older guys, lot of wisdom, but you gotta crack that tough shell.
I TOTALLY agree! So often, they (B&M stores, regardless of what they sell) are not really great at customer service, and just come off wrong, when they don't necessarily mean it that way. I've worked at a few. Then again, maybe he's just a jerk. :lol:

mano

Might Stick Around
Nov 29, 2011
A connesieur with any class would've used the OP's questions as an opportunity to educate him. If the shop owner had any business sense, he then would've been selling him a pound of more expensive tobacco every month. I'm a small business owner who makes a point of spending my money within the community. But if the OP can't talk some sense into the guy, then I wouldn't return.
Unless the shop is really important to him, it's not the customer's job to spend more money and make nice so the owner might "warm up." Especially in this economy, the customer has what the owner wants: money. The customer wants tobacco, which can probably be bought elsewhere.

gwynclan

Can't Leave
Jan 18, 2012
Actually found a new huge pipe and cigar shop, its about 35 min further. The gentlemen there are vary customer friendly and will answer any question with a smile. They are a little more expensive but worth it for selection and comrodery.

Old guy lost my business. Owell for keeping my money close to home.
Might actually be cheaper to buy off line even paying shipping.

I have since been back to the first shop, and the older gent was still an ass.

Never again.

tomdavis

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 2, 2011
Houston TX
Arrogance by a seller when I have the money is stupid. I do not like to do business with arrogant or stupid people.

Status
Not open for further replies.