PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

roadqueen

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 9, 2013
The Ruger SR40C is my choice for Home Defense. While I'm very handy with a shotgun and can use one effectively, they're too big to fit under my pillow or carry on my hip.
I use 175 grain Hornady Critical Duty Hollow Point ammo in my 15 round extended mag, and it is ALWAYS loaded and at the ready. I'm the sole protector of my castle, and my child. If there's an intruder in my home, I feel that the .40 bullet is big, heavy, and the hollow points allow enough expansion that outer wall penetration would not be an issue, and neither would deadly force.

My thoughts are, if you're in my home. Uninvited...you don't deserve a warning shot, nor bird shot. That's just my opinion, I have no qualms with others wanting to use other than deadly force.

barleynbaccy

Can't Leave
May 31, 2013
My thoughts are, if you're in my home. Uninvited...you don't deserve a warning shot, nor bird shot. That's just my opinion, I have no qualms with others wanting to use other than deadly force.
Unfortunatly Roadqueen some of us live in states where even a warning shot can be used against you as intent to harm. The theory of bullet escelation is that you can claim he kept coming even after I "warned" him with this #7.
They tried to put a lady in jail here in southern maryland for shooting into the floor of her house, to frighten her would be abusive boyfriend off.

roadqueen

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 9, 2013
barleynbaccy, that is really sad. I'm not sure what I would change about my home defense strategy if I were faced with laws like that. Honestly, I don't know that I'd change a thing.
I'd rather be in jail knowing that my child is alive and well, rather than free and have to live with the fact that he was harmed or killed in a situation that could have been prevented with a well-placed bullet. I have martial arts training as well, so perhaps I'd attempt to rely a little more heavily on that? The only problem is, hand-to-hand combat has a 1,000,000 more variables thrown in than a weapon used by a trained and experienced individual.
It is a sad time indeed, when it is illegal for innocents to defend themselves from harm.

zonomo

Lifer
Nov 24, 2012
barleynbaccy is 100% right. If you fire a "warning shot", the perp could make the case that THEIR life was in danger and kill the home owner. Depending on the sanity of the sate, he may get away with it. If my weapon comes out, that means that I feel my life or that of my family is in danger. No warning shots for me. To me, the very act of pulling out a gun is a VERY high bar and would only be used in extreme situations (like a home invader).

morton

Part of the Furniture Now
May 3, 2012
Regina, Saskatchewan, Canada
In Canada there is now some sanity when it comes to home defense. A person is allowed to defend and protect one's home and life and meet force with equal force including deadly force, and if one is afraid for one's life, deadly force is an option. That said, any weapon that the defender has some training with, is better than no weapon at all. I choose a short pump shotgun in Remmy 12 gauge and buckshot or buck/slug combo or my .40 cal Glocks for the point and shoot option. And, as other posters have mentioned, if you are bad person and if you're in my house uninvited, you MAY pay the ultimate price for your mistake in judgement.

locopony

Jun 7, 2011
Warning shots are a horrible idea!

Light loads that can harm but not kill are worse!

You can cause yourself more harm by injuring them as they can and likely will file civil suit against you . You will then take care of a criminal for the rest of your life.

No you need to decide now what the line is and what your conscience can bear. Are you a martyr for the virtues of peace or are you a survivor?

This is a serious matter and the decision should be made before a person kicks open your door.

If I fear for my life and or the life of my wife and children enough to take up a weapon a home invader is a dead man. That decision is made. So if you come snoopin around my home possing a risk to the sanctity of my home .......this is your warning!

zonomo

Lifer
Nov 24, 2012
any weapon that the defender has some training with, is better than no weapon at all.
Well said. I feel pretty good that I've made the right investments in training with my handgunds and AR so this shot gun idea is really meant to round it all out for me. BTW Morton, I thought it was illegal for Canadian citizens to own firearms. I am pretty shocked by this (in a good way :) )

tbradsim1

Lifer
Jan 14, 2012
Southwest Louisiana
I read this column and find everyone has good ideas on self protection, but I will not quibble with one thought, women can"t do this women can"t do that, let me tell you them little black pajama gals in the jungle could kill you in a New York Second.

shaintiques

Lifer
Jul 13, 2011
Georgia
So back to Mossberg vs. Remington. Remington makes a better quality firearm in my opinion. They seem to use better quality materials and I have always found the slide to be smoother. Just my 2 cents. I am an NRA shotgun coach and I prefer the Remington 870.

zonomo

Lifer
Nov 24, 2012
I think thats where I am landing too shaintiques. It looks like they are much easier to field strip too and are probably made better. I guess the trade off is cost and weight. I think they are both fine firearms though.

locopony

Jun 7, 2011
I have had the 870 and now have the mossy its hard to go wrong with either. Advise go test them out for ya self and see what ya like best.

morton

May 3, 2012
Regina, Saskatchewan, Canada
@ Zonomo,
Nope, it is not illegal for Canadians to own firearms, either handguns or black rifles (restricted licence) or long guns(non-restricted, in Canadian rules). We have a different and some say rights-infringing system for determining who can own those guns but for the most part, I can legally own most of the same stuff my American neighbors can. Which is cool because I've got a black RobArms XCR-L in .223 waiting to get picked up at the post office and I'm STOKED! :D

instymp

Lifer
Jul 30, 2012
Dr. sold my 870 & kept my side by side because it was a waste hanging on the wall.

I loved the 870 & recently saw that a branch of our military is using Mossberg. One great thing about either pump, is that when a bad guy hears you chucking one in, they are out the door before any shots fired. That sound makes a dumb man smart.

tjameson

Lifer
Jun 16, 2012
Honestly I think it's all about personal preference when it comes down to the Remington vs. Mossberg debate. Personally I'd be happy to own either I've shot both and like both equally. I prefer the controls on the Mossberg for a stress situation. Slide release location allows you to use your middle finger and keep your pointer in trigger position and safety couldn't be much easier to use, forward for fire. Remington has a more solid feel with less play in the action bars, solid machined steel bolt vs anodized aluminum in the Mossberg. Single extractor in the Remington vs dual in the Mossberg. The mossberg becomes a PITA with a pistol grip try reaching the safety or release with a pistol gripped mossberg, no way in hell I'd want that in a stressed situation, but the remington is layed out exteremly well if you wanted a pistol grip. Both are absolutely solid reliable weapons with real world proven experience. So I'll reiterate what others have said and get out there and handle each weapon and shoot them if you can and see what works better for you. I think whichever one you feel most comfortable handling from the first time you pick it up will prove to be your go to. Good luck with your decision Zo!

Status
Not open for further replies.