PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

piperl12

Part of the Furniture Now
Apr 7, 2012
My old man used to say better to be judged by 12 than carried by 6. Your families safety is your responsibility. With police response averaging 7min in the city ill deal with it myself and they can do the paperwork! ;)

billinsfl

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 28, 2010
I would never ever ever take a tactical shotgun over a hard-hitting revolver for home defense. A. 357 magnum is a proven man-stopper as it has been for over 60 years. That's why it was made. Shotguns are fine for people who can't shoot or who have a relative who owns a remodeling company that can repair the damage a shotgun does should it need to be discharged. No stovepipes or jams in a wheelgun. Safer than an autoloader. Common sense tells you a pistol is far more handier in close quarters than a shotgun. And you can shoot with one hand.

phred

Lifer
Dec 11, 2012
I still believe most people are safer with a revolver and a flashlight! No disrespect meant to any other forum members.
When it comes down to it, the best choice is the one you've practiced with the most. A shotgun you've never fired is probably not as good a choice as a pistol you're very familiar with - and vice versa.
Which reminds me - I need to get out to the range sometime this month for a refresher. :D

zonomo

Lifer
Nov 24, 2012
So I was a afaird this thread would spiral into a general discussion about home defense and other options, such as revolvers vs semi autos. Many of you know me and my situation with guns so I'll go ahead a repeat it here.
- I am very well armed with hand guns and .223 style weapons

- We spend a heck of a lot of money each year training, preparing, thinking about this kind of this. I am also well trained in martial arts (Instructor for almost 19 years)

- My ammo budget is WAY bigger than my tobacco budget per year (shame on me!)

- My wife and I are both Diamond life members at FrontSight training facility in Nevada, she is an excellent shot with hand guns, rifles, knows how to handle them well

- Both of us has an increased threat level due to 2 incidents that have occurred in our lives

- Although I am a gun nut and have a pretty deep knowledge of handguns, ARs, edged weapons, I don't know much about Shotguns, havent owned one, so this will be my 1st purchase

- I know the benefits of revolvers but we are not interested in them hand have gone down another path for our hand guns.
Some great advice here. I thank you.

zonomo

Lifer
Nov 24, 2012
When it comes down to it, the best choice is the one you've practiced with the most. A shotgun you've never fired is probably not as good a choice as a pistol you're very familiar with - and vice versa.
Exactly right. +1. :puffy:

zonomo

Lifer
Nov 24, 2012
Shotguns are fine for people who can't shoot or who have a relative who owns a remodeling company that can repair the damage a shotgun does should it need to be discharged.
:rofl: Don't police and SOCOM use them? The 590A1 was made specifically for the military.

instymp

Lifer
Jul 30, 2012
+1 duckfat, for a woman, sometimes a short barrel 22 rifle or pistol is the best. As long as she is familiar with it.

zonomo

Lifer
Nov 24, 2012
My wife had an XD9 and I carry the P97 on me.
I have tried to get my wife to like the XD9 but she prefers the Glock 19. I like the XD trigger much better but she doesn't care for it.

billinsfl

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 28, 2010
I have been an NRA certified instructor for almost 20 years and it is my opinion most law enforcement officers are poor shots. Same goes for most military. Sorry.

locopony

Jun 7, 2011
I hate the trigger on the Glock, and the ergonomics for the Glock cause me to tend to shoot low. The XD is a better fit. Jewels prefers it too. I prefer above all the P model Rugers. The P97 dc is a gem. A 45 cal beast that will stop any living thing, and feels good in my hand. Plus the customer service from Ruger is tops.

effektor

Might Stick Around
Aug 4, 2013
I'm in the carbine camp when it comes to home defense but if you really want a shotgun, all of the big 3 are great. I had a 590 but sold it because I never shot it and as I mentioned, prefer a rifle for home defense. It was rugged and reliable but I have had some ammo that the brass swelled after firing and was impossible to extract. It happened in a friends 870 as well so it was ammo, not gun related. I prefer the top mounted safety of the mossberg and would go with a ghost ring sight or optic. I believe the current version has the ghost ring.
As for over penetration, check out the box O truth web site. Lots of penetration myths are busted there.

cavendish

Jan 22, 2013
You're talking right up my alley lol. Personally i like the Remy 870 12ga with a 3" chamber. I had a Mossberg and I didn't like it. The Mossy is lighter than the Remmy however it is aluminum and wouldn't stand up to the heavy use I put into it. Remington 870 is the most popular shotgun on the planet and us trusted by police and military units because its so reliable and durable. If i were in your shoes, I'd go with the Remington.

cavendish

Jan 22, 2013
Igloo nailed it however I have the Sure Shot stock on my turkey gun and I love it. Some line the pistol grip style and some don't

bigvan

Lifer
Mar 22, 2011
Moosberg shotguns are only good for defending your home from home-invading moose. And maybe some elk. :)

dread

Lifer
Jun 19, 2013
@ Philo: I do agree with your choice of handgun and caliber for a newbie, that is exactly the combo I tell people to start with.

locopony

Jun 7, 2011
I like the 22 for home defence. No exit wound , they tend to bleed inward more than out, and they are way under estimated. I have killed hogs with a 22, if it will kill a hog a human has no chance.

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
An interesting discussion fellows. We have a few pistols in the house and the main defense weapon is a Ruger SP101 with 38's (two other Ruger .22's) I've been meaning to pickup a pump shotgun as well and the 870 sounds like it is the right choice.

checotah

Feb 7, 2012
As usual, I'm the odd duck. I like my Judge with the first round of .410 #6 shot, followed by two rounds of .410 #000 buckshot, and two rounds of .45 Colt. I find it to be a great inside the house first weapon because of its easy mobility. Then, because we shoot Cowboy Action Shooting, the 1897 sits ready with 5 rounds of #00buckshot, with the S&W M&P with 10 rounds of .45 ACP Hydroshock sitting backup. FWIW, my wife also keeps a can of wasp spray by her side of the bed. Shoots a 25 foot stream of really nasty stuff if you get it in your eyes, and it is not considered a deadly device.

Status
Not open for further replies.