PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

sparrowhawk

Lifer
Jul 24, 2013
Who makes straight, short churchwardens without a bend that you can cletch? I noticed Robert Downey Jr smoking one on a couple of occasions in his Sherlock Holmes films, and they looked cool.

Reactions: ofafeather

ofafeather

Lifer
Apr 26, 2020
Where NY, CT & MA meet
Clenching a short churchwarden is awkward I find. What length are you thinking? Some makes sell them with 2 stems. Here’s the pipe locater from SPC filtered by length to 7-9”

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Big Ben makes a Lectura churchwarden that has no bend and is somewhat shorter than a full length 'warden. If it were really short, it wouldn't be a 'warden. EWA, a good French pipe sold by Iwan Ries, and quite low priced, makes some really short, small churchwardens, 7" I think, but they are bent, but they might fill the bill, just not straight. With the EWA pipes, I'd suggest using flake/coin/plug/rope cuts to lengthen the smokes. I think they are about Group 2. They seem nicely crafted to me.

olkofri

Lifer
Sep 9, 2017
The Arm of Orion
Yep, the Savinelli Bing's Favourites are the closest to a 'stubby' churchwarden you could find. Ditto the Clark's Favourites, but the latter seem to be all bent ones.

If you're into cobs, you could also transform a Morgan or Eaton into an impromptu Canadian by switching the short bit they come with with a standard size bit. That's what I did:

Alberichs_Pfeifen_04AD18.jpg

Both cobs, but mostly the Eaton, are roughly half the length of the churchwarden on the left.

georged

Lifer
Mar 7, 2013
As cool as they are, short(ish)-stemmed cw's are almost impossible to find.

I imagine it's the, "If a little is good a lot must be better" mindset, so anyone who makes a cw wants it to be as long as possible. Why else bother, right?

Wrong.

Trim them to a manageable length and they get smoked a LOT more.

P1030647 copy.JPGP1030663 copy.JPGP1020483.JPGP1020488.JPGP1020491.JPG

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
Aug 1, 2012
Forget modern pipes, you can find a lot of older 6+ inch stem pipes that are light as a feather if you go older USA make "regular guy" pipes. For example I found a "Mcguffy's Reader" pipe (an old teacher's reference there) for next to nothing and while it's not the most beautiful, it smokes alright but is so light it feels more like a cob in weight.

Reactions: ofafeather

davek

Part of the Furniture Now
Mar 20, 2014
I stick a reed stem in my cobs and that's what I'm smoking at least 50% of the time. It's what I'm smoking in my avatar. Yes, a medium length is more comfortable and more commonly reached for.

Pierre1965

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 6, 2020
I have a Savinelli "Gandalf"; it's 8 inches long. Savinelli got in trouble for using the name without permission so they rebranded the pipe as the "Qandale". Go to Smokingpipes.com and search Qandale; they have several styles to choose from. It's a lite pipe at only 1.8 oz, so other than length it probably wouldn't be a bad clencher. Studio_20200705_105646.jpgStudio_20200705_105521.jpg

Last edited:

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
If the complaint you have with churchwardens is their unwieldy length, you just have to remember, they are best smoked seated. Needless to say, they are not good for clenching, nor for most peoples' purposes, not very portable. Seated reading a book, resting your elbow on the arm of a chair, you can smoke in the most relaxed lazy way imaginable, which can be good.