PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Spavilla

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jul 6, 2020
Gulf Coast of Florida
Who makes straight, short churchwardens without a bend that you can cletch? I noticed Robert Downey Jr smoking one on a couple of occasions in his Sherlock Holmes films, and they looked cool.
I believe he (RDJ) is smoking a Genod Petite Churchwarden. I possess a similar pipe and find the stem too delicate for clenching. You should check out the Savinelli Gingers Favorite or Bings Favorite. They are sturdier versions of the Demi-Churchwarden.

Magpiety

Part of the Furniture Now
Dec 7, 2019
Kansas City
As cool as they are, short(ish)-stemmed cw's are almost impossible to find.

I imagine it's the, "If a little is good a lot must be better" mindset, so anyone who makes a cw wants it to be as long as possible. Why else bother, right?

Wrong.

Trim them to a manageable length and they get smoked a LOT more.

Do you have a name for those cutty models? I really like them.

Reactions: ofafeather

Spavilla

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jul 6, 2020
Gulf Coast of Florida
As cool as they are, short(ish)-stemmed cw's are almost impossible to find.

I imagine it's the, "If a little is good a lot must be better" mindset, so anyone who makes a cw wants it to be as long as possible. Why else bother, right?

Wrong.

Trim them to a manageable length and they get smoked a LOT more.

Georged I agree wholeheartedly. Here is my Demi-

View attachment 35355View attachment 35356View attachment 35357View attachment 35358View attachment 35359
Hard to find, but not impossible and very manageable, especially when most of your smoking is done on your arse from a balcony watching the palm trees sway. ?Here is my collection of Demi-CW’s for what it’s worth...EBFEA576-3727-46A9-846D-61FDD6670A2D.jpeg

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Good point Dimitri makes. I have a Savinelli Prince of Wales that is exactly that, a long-stemmed prince that amounts to a short churchwarden. I think they're not being offered new, but Sav sometimes brings pipes back, like the recent re-emergence of the Oscar Lucite line.

Reactions: jpmcwjr and Dimitri

Spavilla

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jul 6, 2020
Gulf Coast of Florida
Good point Dimitri makes. I have a Savinelli Prince of Wales that is exactly that, a long-stemmed prince that amounts to a short churchwarden. I think they're not being offered new, but Sav sometimes brings pipes back, like the recent re-emergence of the Oscar Lucite line.
I hope they do. Beautiful pipe. I am a Savinelli fan and partial to smooth finishes. I just picked up this Chacom Berlingot 1513. Working on the break in as we speak...berlingot 1513.jpg

shanez

Lifer
Jul 10, 2018
Las Vegas
I have a Savinelli "Gandalf"; it's 8 inches long. Savinelli got in trouble for using the name without permission so they rebranded the pipe as the "Qandale". Go to Smokingpipes.com and search Qandale; they have several styles to choose from. It's a lite pipe at only 1.8 oz, so other than length it probably wouldn't be a bad clencher. View attachment 35399View attachment 35400
I have several Qandales and I love them!

Spavilla

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jul 6, 2020
Gulf Coast of Florida
+1! I have a Quandale 626. It’s my longest pipe and enjoy it in my regular rotation. Almost bought a “Gandalf”, but couldn’t justify the extra $$$ just to watch it “appreciate”. Smoking is verb.

--dante--

Lifer
Jun 11, 2020
Pittsburgh, PA USA
I'd say you can't go wrong with the Missouri Meerschaum Cobbit line. I clench 'em (they're very light as they are cobs) , and you don't even need the special long churchwarden pipe cleaners for them, provided you remove the stem first.

Spavilla

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jul 6, 2020
Gulf Coast of Florida
I'd say you can't go wrong with the Missouri Meerschaum Cobbit line. I clench 'em (they're very light as they are cobs) , and you don't even need the special long churchwarden pipe cleaners for them, provided you remove the stem first.
I agree, but unfortunately I've noticed the Cobbit line (and many other MM models) are "Out of Stock" on a lot of retailers as well as MM website. I wanted to buy a couple of burners for trying out some heavier blends and found my choices limited. I wonder whats going on over there.

Reactions: jpmcwjr

alaskanpiper

Enabler in Chief
May 23, 2019
Alaska
Mine include a Savinelli Qandale 315KS, and a Morgan Bones Rhodesian Churchwarden, as well as a few artisan pipes that run 7 or 8 inches. I know the Savinelli Bing's and Clark's favorites are popular "Demi-Churchwarden" options, there also seem to be quite a few meers available in these lengths. Some higher end makers like ashton definitely have some, as well as more affordable options like Genod, Chacom, Ropp, and Nording.

Using the pipe locator tool on smokingpipes and setting the length to 7-9 inches gives you 6 pages of options!

--dante--

Lifer
Jun 11, 2020
Pittsburgh, PA USA
I agree, but unfortunately I've noticed the Cobbit line (and many other MM models) are "Out of Stock" on a lot of retailers as well as MM website. I wanted to buy a couple of burners for trying out some heavier blends and found my choices limited. I wonder whats going on over there.
Check back on the MM site periodically -- They seem to sell out but restock. I picked up a "Pot O' Gold" from them last week, and that was always "sold out" every time I checked.

georged

Lifer
Mar 7, 2013
Do you have a name for those cutty models? I really like them.
Sorry, I missed this earlier.

No model names. The top one is a re-worked Bonaquisti (a carver in upstate New York), and the bottom one an Ashton. Both were re-stemmed after the fact to make them less of a "special occasion smoker." (Original stems are in a drawer)

They're not available as shown, in other words.

Magpiety

Part of the Furniture Now
Dec 7, 2019
Kansas City
Sorry, I missed this earlier.

No model names. The top one is a re-worked Bonaquisti (a carver in upstate New York), and the bottom one an Ashton. Both were re-stemmed after the fact to make them less of a "special occasion smoker." (Original stems are in a drawer)

They're not available as shown, in other words.

Thanks for this!