PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

petes03

Lifer
Jun 23, 2013
The Hills of Tennessee
Has anyone had any problems with ordering from other countries? I know things have been crazy recently, but it was my understanding that things were getting better. I’ve ordered many things, from several countries in the past and have had very few issues. I currently have a new Ardor coming from Italy and I’ve had four “clearance delay” notifications already. All from the airport in Milan. It’s a little frustrating. I’ve ordered pipes from Italy several times in the past and had them in hand inside of two weeks.

Reactions: JOHN72

Nicolasylvain

Might Stick Around
Jun 18, 2022
France
I nervously used Ship7 for the first time to buy a pipe I had to have from a well known tobacconist in the US (which doesn't ship outside the country) and have it sent via this forwarding company's US warehouse address to France.

The tracking shows it did leave the US but has been sitting in port in France since 27 June 'not yet handed to the French postal service'. Taxes were paid beforehand so that isnt the issue.

Ship7 seemingly outsources their customer service because I am faced with their unhelpful responses in not-quite..but-almost broken English.

paulfg

Lifer
Feb 21, 2016
Corfu Greece
I tried to buy a pipe from an ebay seller in Mexico.He says he tries DHL,FedEx and TNT.
All supposedly didn’t recognise my address,even though I have used it for DHL and FedEx from Germany and Italy hundreds of times with no problem
He cancelled the order
WTF
I suspect he was quoted more for shipping than he charges me,so doesn’t want to complete the deal

• Angry
Reactions: seanv

captpat

Lifer
Dec 16, 2014
North Carolina
Shipping tobacco and pipes from overseas seems to be hit or miss, whether it's a hit or miss seems pretty random. I last ordered from overseas a year ago, that shipment from Estervals seemed to go okay, I've also purchased a few pipes from Al Pascia the were delivered very quickly -- though I haven't ordered from them in a couple of years. To avoid the uncertainty I stick with domestic suppliers, unless I stumble across something I can't live without.

mav

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 14, 2021
Chicago
I Recently bought a few pipes from the Tabaccheria Corti in Italy using DHL. I did not have high hopes because of horror stories I've heard from DHL, but both packages delivered within a week which was amazing.

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
I refuse to purchase from over seas vendors. Their prices are ok but what I hate is how long they can sometimes take. I have no patience, I want my pipe as soon as I order it. I am like a 10 year old doing the pee pee dance till it shows. This pipe took 6 weeks and I vowed to never do that again. Plenty of great American sources.

kcghost

Lifer
May 6, 2011
Olathe, Kansas
It is always a little bit of a crap shoot when you ship internationally. It matters where you live and where they are shipping from. And it is very dependent on the Customs clerk on each end of the transaction.

Mar 1, 2014
My last order from Italy was lost by FedEx somewhere in a US warehouse.
Getting out of Europe is fine, getting through the US is a problem.

May 9, 2021
Geoje Island South Korea
Generally speaking, my tobacco related shipments have been within a month, usually 2 weeks turn around. That includes USA & European shipments.
As an aside. I ordered a hat from Australia. It too k two months to arrive here!

Bob the bear

Can't Leave
Apr 2, 2022
Edinburgh UK
Has anyone had any problems with ordering from other countries? I know things have been crazy recently, but it was my understanding that things were getting better. I’ve ordered many things, from several countries in the past and have had very few issues. I currently have a new Ardor coming from Italy and I’ve had four “clearance delay” notifications already. All from the airport in Milan. It’s a little frustrating. I’ve ordered pipes from Italy several times in the past and had them in hand inside of two weeks.
I got a parcel from the states in less than 2 weeks and I sent one back in return from the UK, also in less tha. 2 weeks, no problems so far.

Reactions: huckleberry

PipeIT

Lifer
Nov 14, 2020
Hawaii
I’ve had three orders from Italy, two from LePipe.it and one from Tabaccheriacorti, all arrived very fast, no problems.

Parcel, as we all know, can always have problems, it’s just the way it is, no matter what...

P.S. Sorry to hear... :(

huckleberry

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 12, 2017
Kentucky
I got a parcel from the states in less than 2 weeks and I sent one back in return from the UK, also in less tha. 2 weeks, no problems so far.
I talked to a Customs agent [at a Lunch Spot] that works at a UPS International hub. She said they are so busy looking for illegal drugs and Trademark Infringement violations, that unless you are just unlucky that day, [or they spot cigars], odds are in your favor that your package will pass. At least at this end...