PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

adam12

Part of the Furniture Now
May 16, 2011
1. Destroyed the nomenclature on a nice billiard in order to create an unnatural "shine" and overbuffed the pipe so badly it altered the shape of one side of the bowl. I don't know what process they were using in order to attain a finish they thought would be palatable to buyers, but I have simply never seen a seller who knew so little about pipe restoration try and mask flaws so aggressively that it required damaging the pipe. To their credit, they (reluctantly) refunded my money, but took my valid criticism of their poor restoration practices far too personally and ignited an eBay "message battle" with me that went beyond the purchase/refund into areas that had nothing to do with a business deal. It was bad enough that I'm not buying from them or recommending them to others.
2. There have been several blatant and documented cases of them using photo-altering techniques to blur out and alter photos to hide the true condition of their pipes for sale. This is, in my opinion, as close to outright criminal conduct (aside from maybe intentionally misidentifying pipes as one seller or another in order to make a sale) as one would expect in our community.
3. They used coercive methods, statements, eBay messaging, etc. towards me and others in order to affect transaction feedback. This includes, and I probably could find the messages if I looked, trying to make it seem like it would me the buyer's (my) fault if their business was affected by my leaving what I thought was appropriate negative feedback. I backed down only because I got my money back. I decided to leave no feedback at all.
In my opinion, one of the most intentionally dishonest and ridiculous groups of people I've ever dealt with in the pipe selling world.

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
As I mentioned in the last thread, I'd love to see any recent altered pictures.
My Digby 9438
Shinypipes Picture, every nick, fill (yes, Digby's have fills, I knew that going in)

My picture, no surprises.

mustanggt

Dec 6, 2012
Adam12, You describe my exact experience. I agree 100% with what you said. I too backed down but just gave neutral feedback. I kick myself in the ass every time I see one of their pipes up for auction that I should have given very, ultra negative feedback. What stopped me was my unwillingness to shut down their business. Seeing how they have duped so many people I wish now I would have contributed to their demise by given negative feedback. After all they are the ones who would be responsible for their demise not their duped customers.

seacaptain

Lifer
Apr 24, 2015
I've been on ebay for years and have had a few bad experiences. If you guys are withholding negative feedback on a negative experience, then you're nicer people than me.

mustanggt

Dec 6, 2012
The best of us have been snookered by that unscrupulous woman. Since I am never going to buy from her again I won't get my chance to nail her with well deserved negative feedback.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Can't do ebay. Forums members get some beauties on ebay, by gaining experience and being shrewd and sufficiently suspicious. The disappointment factor just costs more than the sometime success, for me. I guess if you keep your bids aggressively low you can write off the clunkers.

okiescout

Lifer
Jan 27, 2013
"Thanks very much Al, for showing another side of the issue."
I agree.
There have been a number of issues over the years I have had with e-bay sellers. Some we agreed to work out and others

I elected to let go and do no further business with that seller.
A seller makes up the public record one sale at a time. It is not an easy thing dealing with the public, but reputation is all you really have.

lochinvar

Lifer
Oct 22, 2013
You pays your money, you takes your chances.
There are a few people I trust implicitly on ebay, and will often bid a premium if they have a specimen I want. Otherwise, I assume there may be some hidden problem (it is a used item, and in some cases the seller may not even be pipe savvy). Shiny pipes has a reputation so tainted, I usually don't bid as my margin for safe buying takes the amount I'm willing to pay for one of their pipes well below what it goes for.
They would be better off, with me anyway, if they were honest and showed the flaws. I buy used pipes, I don't expect them to be pristine. With honest depiction, a willing buyer and a willing seller will always find each other.

okiescout

Lifer
Jan 27, 2013
" I buy used pipes, I don't expect them to be pristine. With honest depiction, a willing buyer and a willing seller will always find each other."
Absolutely, Lochinvar.
The problem comes in with the pics. I am going to equate price to condition each and every time! An e-bay seller that uses fuzzy pics (come on) or glosses out blems is being dishonest! You cannot ascertain the later until you hold the pipe. I have seen people go to grate links disclosing blems. I count this to their integrity. The other thing is they can verbally draw your attention to a problem. I do not expect them to be perfect, but "pipes in top condition draw top money for their class. Fool me once shame on you........

tuold

Lifer
Oct 15, 2013
Beaverton,Oregon
I just had an agonizing month long episode that tonight finally motivated me to cancel my ebay account. I suppose I should actually thank Shiny Pipes for that.
My expectations are low. I win the item. I pay my money. I get the item. Not so much this time.
The last message was a threat to open a case against me. All I did was contact her before leaving the feedback as the instructions on ebay say. Contrary to her bizarre accusations, I was not trying to extort a "free pipe" from her. I told her I would settle for an apology. Didn't get that, just the threat. I count myself lucky for at least getting a refund.
There are some other issues complicating this that might be better off left off the record because I can't prove my suspicions.
What I can say for certain is that I was not exactly treated like a valued customer. Not by a long shot.
My advice is to stay far away from there. (And just cancel your Ebay account)

Reactions: ram74
Jan 8, 2013
Thanks for that post, Tuold. Every so often while browsing pipes on ebay, I come across a real looker at Shiny Pipes. And then I get to thinking.... Shiny Pipes can't be that bad, really, can it? Despite all the negative things I've heard about the seller, I see something nice, and I'm tempted to give the benefit of the doubt. Usually, when I see a pipe, I'll leave ebay and browse the forums or watch a show or two while I try to make up my mind to make the purchase or not. Once again, I get on the forums and I hear another horror story of why I shouldn't give that seller my money. Thanks for the heads up and the smack on the back of my head, Tuold. Sorry to hear about your bad experience too.

tuold

Lifer
Oct 15, 2013
Beaverton,Oregon
adam12 wrote:
....took my valid criticism of their poor restoration practices far too personally and ignited an eBay "message battle" with me that went beyond the purchase/refund into areas that had nothing to do with a business deal.
That's pretty much what was going on with me too. I said that I was very disappointed with the turn of events and was going to leave feedback to that effect. That's when the threats started. She even let me know she had my phone number. Messages alternated between pathos and paranoia. She even accused me of taking advantage of her because she was a woman trying to run a business and I was a big male bully. Anyone who knows me would laugh out loud at that one. That was a cheap shot.
Anyway, the last message I sent was that I give up. The aggravation isn't worth any pipe. More nasty messages followed. I cancelled my account.
I'm trying to keep from venting more here. I'll call ebay in the morning....if she hasn't found me by then.

pagan

Lifer
May 6, 2016
West Texas
Consider Shiny Pipes as any other dealer on Ebay, carefully, ask questions and for photos if you dont see what you want, remember the ol saying Buyer beware

I'm sorry to hear that. One more (of many many) Shiny Pipe horror stories that I've heard. I just look at Shiny Pipes as being off limits for myself when pipe browsing. Just seeing that name on a pipe while searching gives me anxiety, and I skip over it. My one dealing with them was enough, and even seeing their name on here makes my stomach roll. They must just be a very, very miserable person.

mcitinner1

Lifer
Apr 5, 2014
Missouri
I've stopped buying pipes on EBay, and seldom even look at them any more. Not because of any bad experience; I just got tired of it.
I trust Al's opinion on SP. Last time this subject was being pushed around, he spoke to the woman on the phone, and reported that she was basically a good person.
Then I read Tuold's post. Huh :cry:

tmb152

Can't Leave
Apr 26, 2016
I've had very good luck on eBay and very few minor bad experiences and gotten great deals. But I never bought any pipes from Shiny Pipes. One bad deal was my fault for not reading closer and turned out to be a great pipe anyway, and the other was just too minor for such a nice pipe to send back! And I accepted the guy's explanation of it being an honest oversight. Or I could pay 4-6X the price for new. Lots of indicators if you look closely, you gotta read the FB closely! :puffy:

ashdigger

Lifer
Jul 30, 2016
Vegas Baby!!!
I've purchased two pipes from Shiny Pipes.
The first was many years ago and it was a train wreck of a transaction. I wasn't threatened but it left a bad taste in my mouth.
So I was very wary when a specific pipe shape and manufacturer appeared on their ebay listings. I let is set on there for a month, I relived the past transaction and thought I'll never do business with her again. Then the price dropped to bargain status and I cautiously pulled the trigger. The pipe and transaction were fine. So did I get lucky on the second go round? I think I did.
I've sold a few pipes on eBay and it can be a tricky deal. I had an issue with a pipe I sold recently. The buyer told me it had hairline cracks in the bowl and he was going to open a return ticket. I told him not to bother, but to keep the pipe and I immediately issued a full refund. He never opened a ticket and sorta complained PayPal was too slow on the FULL refund. He still hasn't left feedback.
I understand it can be tough, but the buyer is always right. Learned that years ago in my days as a chef.
As for getting your phone number. You give your phone number when you sign up and verify your account. A seller has that and any email you have on file.
Oh yeah, as for ebay in general, I'm done too.

It makes my blood run cold to hear someone come back and say that they talked with the lady and apologize to the forum for bad mouthing them. Chills, hairs standing up on end, because after my own dealings, I am pretty sure something terrible, evil, wicked has happened to force that member to post such things under duress. First born chained to a chair and held at bay with a chainsaw. Hacked bank accounts, leans on property, etc...
I mean... maybe, maybe I am wrong, and the lady just writes in a tone that... naaaaaa... too many other people have had similar experiences.
I've been lucky with all of my other ebay experiences. I've never had another vendor act like they do, or fake pictures as badly.

Status
Not open for further replies.