PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

wnghanglow

Part of the Furniture Now
Mar 25, 2012
I find it funny people won't share there pipes but I doubt the same person bates an eye at using a cup or fork while dining out. I know I clean my pipes better than a diner cleans there silverware. To answer the question, if anyone shows interest in starting to smoke, I have a couple cheap briar and new cobs I would gladly give to them. I even have a rack that's half full of my friends dedicated pipes :)

pjhicks

Lurker
Nov 16, 2010
No. I work with some folks who are using the vapor- smoker-thingys and they pass them around each time a new flavor is introduced. As my Dad used to say I don't "swap spit" with anyone other than my wife(poor woman)! Back in my cigar days, the guys at gatherings would pass a cigar around, BLECH!! As for the comparison to eating utensils and glasses in public, I would like to live in the world in which those items are thoroughly cleaned after each use! I used to wash dishes in a restaurant, I know that this may not be entirely true but ignorance is bliss.

kris

Can't Leave
Sep 16, 2012
I recently went to a school reunion and EVERYONE wanted a puff on my pipe... So I passed it around, we called it the "Pipe of Peace", which was ironic because I pretty much hated everyone in school. They're all pretty cool now though...

northernneil

Lifer
Jun 1, 2013
If you say yes to one person, then you'll have to say yes to them all. It's been said already, but a couple fresh cobs solve the problem of sharing.

briarfanatic

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jul 27, 2013
i have only shared with my wife. She is a nonsmoker and wanted to see why I am so "obsessed" with pipes and tobaccos. After she smoked a bowl of Amphora full aroma red in a full bent Peterson system pipe, she said "I can see why you like this. It is very relaxing."

brian64

Lifer
Jan 31, 2011
I find it funny people won't share there pipes but I doubt the same person bates an eye at using a cup or fork while dining out.
You just had to mention that...now I'll have to bring my own fork next time.

dalby

Lurker
Aug 17, 2013
I'm quite new to the hobby, but in short order everyone was asking to try my tobacco.

I would respond with a "sure where's your pipe?" taken by surprise that I was meeting fellow pipe smokers.

they were not pipe smokers, and wanted to smoke one of my briars that I had not even broken in yet.

I ordered some MM legends, and let folks keep them!

bogie

Starting to Get Obsessed
Dec 10, 2010
I have been asked if someone could smoke one of my pipes on more than one occasion. I let one guy smoke a medico pipe, I cleaned it and put it back in rack just for this occasion.
My father asked to smoke one and I just GAVE him four or five pipes. I will not drink after another guy family or not, and I prefer to not share a pipe either.

phred

Lifer
Dec 11, 2012
Having worked as a dishwasher before, I can tell you that the industrial dishwashers used in most restaurants use hot water and sanitizing solution in addition to detergents - pretty much the whole process is automated, so the "dish dogs" simply have to load up a tray, slide it into the enclosure, hit a button, and repeat for however many hours they're able to get out of the kitchen manager on a given night...
So yeah, on average, I trust a random cup or fork at a restaurant to be properly clean/sanitized more than I trust a random person's mouth. Friends and loved ones, I'll consider sharing a sip of something or a bite of food with. All others pay cash. :D

murf

Can't Leave
Mar 1, 2013
I'm not a germ-o-phob, so I would share a pipe, depending on the person. Just like I wouldn't mind passing a bottle of bourbon back and forth between a good friend, or having a sip of beer that one of us hasn't tried before. It's not like my friend is asking to kiss my wife

wyfbane

Lifer
Apr 26, 2013
Tennessee
Ya, I have, but not with just anyone. But as I learn more and am poised to spring for a retort system, I would be more aware of doing it in the future.

metalmilitia

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 14, 2013
Seems to be a touchy subject with some. Most of my Marines are like my kids almost. And if any of u know anything about Marines (or kids for that maturer) you would know that we aren't known for having clean mouths. I think I'll get some extra cobs

pchitti

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 26, 2013
Central Texas
I spent way to many years of my younger life passing pipes, cigs, or anything else around to even bother starting to care about germs.
Close friends and or family no prob. Random dude not so much, just a general lack of respect for other peoples possessions now days.

dennisfbird

Lurker
Aug 25, 2013
Probably not..... but you folks that keep extra MM around, PLEASE invite me over..... I'm trying to build up my collection.

Jul 11, 2013
Looks like I fall into the middle category. Random people is an immediate no. With close friends I couldn't care less. Course my group of friends has narrowed down to where I only have a couple and I've known them for 10+ years. We've accidentally grabbed each others drinks when we all worked together and watched each other get some bad injuries where we had to grab the bleeding wounds to slow the blood flow while making trips to the hospital. We are basically brothers so they get special treatment.
I leave my nicer briars for myself (not that I have very many being a rookie) but will toss them a cob or cheaper briar in a heart beat if they wanted to smoke also. I have one friend that I smoked cigars with for years that takes me up on the offer frequently. Figure if the liquor I clean the pipe with doesn't kill the germs then it was coming and would have gotten me anyway just from being around the person.

Status
Not open for further replies.