PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

kenbarnes

Can't Leave
Nov 12, 2015
Here are a couple of photos showing the first eight blocks that I have cut on my old bench saw and prepared ready for turning yesterday. The grain on these blocks will become tighter after they are turned. When I cut plateau blocks, I do not to cut the block on the grain, I cut it just off the grain so that when they are turned to the shape required the grain appears - hopefully. Does that make sense? These blocks are so white and clean and lovely to work with.

Hopefully, when the Dublin on the bottom row – third one along is turned, it will become a real stunner, right up there in the XX or Charatan Achievement level – we will see. Sometimes, it isn’t to be and that is one of the challenges of pipe-making.
dsc05061-600x450.jpg
dsc05063-600x450.jpg

wyfbane

Lifer
Apr 26, 2013
Tennessee
Wow, Ken. Those blocks are amazing! I cannot wait to see update photos of those. I hope they turn out perfectly for you!

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
Hi Ken,
I can't begin to express how thrilled i am to see you cutting and shaping once again. I'm very happy to see the master at work. Please keep the images coming as you go through the process of making these pipes! This is exciting!

cortezattic

Lifer
Nov 19, 2009
Chicago, IL
Thanks for having the forethought to post those pix! As Jesse said, it will be exciting to see these blocks come to life, through future progress reports. Great thread! :clap:

carver

Part of the Furniture Now
Mar 29, 2015
Belgium
very interested to see how they turn out, these blocks look very promising. Keep the photos coming :)

bluegrassbrian

Your Mom's Favorite Pipe Smoker
Aug 27, 2016
Louisville
Super cool. I'm always on the lookout for a smaller group 2ish Upshall... but no luck just yet.

Looking forward to seeing how these stummels turn out.

kenbarnes

Can't Leave
Nov 12, 2015
Thank you all for your inspiring feedback.

It was on this forum 2 years ago when tarheel1 posted a topic 'James Upshall- a discussion' and when I replied to it I felt very welcome and the excitement started from there.

Yes, what I could do is to take these 8 pieces through the processes and take photos of each main stage of their journeys.

That would be fun for me.

tslex

Lifer
Jun 23, 2011
I really enjoy these process posts from talented guys, showing the steps along the way. I'm tagging this post so I can watch for updates.
Agreed that you have some amazing first steps there. That large bent apple in the top row is going to be amazing -- well unless it isn't. (That is something I admire about pipe carvers, and potters like my wife. You have not only the skill to make these amazing things, but the temperament to accept that there is a lot of serendipity at play, and things may not work out as you plan, despite all your efforts.)

londonmake

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 11, 2016
Ken, thanks for sharing and I'm excited by your new venture back into pipes!

Lovely blocks beginning to become lovely pipes I hope.

Status
Not open for further replies.