PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.
Oct 7, 2016
The last shipment of Samuel Gawith to the US left the UK mid June 2020. As of 1/15/2021, there was no order pending from Phillips & King though that might change soon. On their website, Phillips and King still lists Samuel Gawith as a line they distribute.

Tin integrity is an issue. In private correspondence, a retailer who loaded up on this current offering said this:
“we did go through a zillion tins and found 40 crushed or popped tins. The ones that were shipped in sealed Gawith logo boxes of 100 tins were perfect. What PK does is they throw a lot of mixed tins together in in a big box with no packing material. That’s the issue.”

Check the seal on any SG tins you get.

Oct 7, 2016
I thought Kendal cream was being discontinued? Another lie?
Not a lie. I posted months ago that the discontinuation list that was circulating was UK market exclusive. Gawith Hoggarth confirmed this on ther official Facebook page, and this month they joined another forum and officially said :

- No product has been de-continued as such. We have simply decided not to hold stock of certain lines that did not sell in large amounts in the UK MARKET. However, these products are still available if the retailer wishes to order the minimum quantity. In the UK this is 5kg minimum order.

- This decision effects the UK market ONLY and not export. The export market works with different quantities and each country has different requirements with regard to packaging, labels, warnings etc. All importers in all countries have the list of all products available and can order those (so long as the minimum requirements are met). So if a product is not available it is simply because the importer has not ordered it.”

Casual

Lifer
Oct 3, 2019
NL, CA
It’s a bit shocking to see so much money left on the table. Although importers in other industries are famous for underserving their small markets, so why not pipe tobacco too.

Reactions: mingc and BROBS

pauls456

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 19, 2020
Tucson, Arizona
I received some crushed tins of St James Flake yesterday. I won't mention the retailer. I blame the shipper- Its bloody disrespectful of the U.S. customer.
The tins have a slight tobacco scent, but I find that to be the case with most SG tins, so I think the seals survived.

Oct 7, 2016
I received some crushed tins of St James Flake yesterday. I won't mention the retailer. I blame the shipper- Its bloody disrespectful of the U.S. customer.
The tins have a slight tobacco scent, but I find that to be the case with most SG tins, so I think the seals survived.
The retailer I quoted in my 10:37 pm 1/27 post specifically mentioned that they received 40 popped or crushed tins from Phillips and King, the distributors. I would send them back to the retailer.

Reactions: mingc and BROBS

FurCoat

Lifer
Sep 21, 2020
North Carolina
There will be another shipment of GH before anymore SG is shipped. Everything is up to the importers as to whether the drought is eased. I am optimistic about GH.
We have seen quite a lot coming out of these blenders. I see that P&C got a shipment of SG yesterday. So my theory is...Smoking has fallen out of favor abroad for the most part and Covid probably did not do much to help, add to that the restrictions in AUS and other countries and well...its not good for business. I think we are getting more now because they need to sell it and lord knows we will buy it here in the states. I can not prove it, it is just a thought I'm throwing out there. I will also add that the smokers in Europe now have choices from the US such as C&D and GLP. I have noticed that many of our foreign forum members are smoking these American offerings which is a good thing.

BROBS

Lifer
Nov 13, 2019
IA
We have seen quite a lot coming out of these blenders. I see that P&C got a shipment of SG yesterday. So my theory is...Smoking has fallen out of favor abroad for the most part and Covid probably did not do much to help, add to that the restrictions in AUS and other countries and well...its not good for business. I think we are getting more now because they need to sell it and lord knows we will buy it here in the states. I can not prove it, it is just a thought I'm throwing out there. I will also add that the smokers in Europe now have choices from the US such as C&D and GLP. I have noticed that many of our foreign forum members are smoking these American offerings which is a good thing.
Could very well be. Also import/export restrictions and shipping problems or delays to certain areas. I know NZ added more restrictions along with many other places.

Oct 7, 2016
The availability of SG and GH in the US is very simply a function of how much the importers/distributors order and how much and wnen they decide to dribble it out to the trade. Gawith’s customers are :
(1) In the U.K., retailers who order directly through Gawith’s domestic distribution arm which also distributes other products to such retailers, such as Stanwell pipes;

(2) In the rest of the world, properly licensed importers.

To beat this dead horse once more, as I and others have posted in this thread and other threads, and on other forums as well, including official posts directly from the company on Facebook and another forum , the availability of Gawith products is strictly a function of what their customers - who aren’t individual smokers - order, and how these customers choose to distribute it to the trade. There is no need for more complex theories.

Status
Not open for further replies.