PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

karam

Lifer
Feb 2, 2019
Basel, Switzerland
Very fine tobacco yes. but might a been a tad lighter on the nic, I also like the taste profile on Peterson Irish flake but that one seems to be even stronger than this S&G
Hmmm, odd. Irish Flake is stout but nowhere near 1792 in strength in m experience, just merely stronger than a lot of others. For me 1792 hits almost as hard as HH Rustica and a few other nic/DFK bombs.

ChonkyTonks

Part of the Furniture Now
Jul 14, 2022
Philly
I have not yet tried the boxed version. I will give that a go tomorrow.
Hokay. I tried it out. First thing I noticed is that the flakes are far more moist than the tinned flakes. I assume that has something to do with the lack of seal on the tins. I tend to like my tobacco not bone dry, so I went for a ten-fifteen minute dry and then packed it in the pipe. Initial thoughts after I got it going was "more mellow" than the tinned. As I got through the half-way mark, it was more like the tinned in that is maintained its flavor, but had more depth than when it was first lit. Overall, I think the biggest differences will be the look and moisture. I did not notice anything terribly/drastically different b/w the two.

Reactions: eljimmy

Piping Rooster

Can't Leave
Jun 29, 2022
Champa Bay
Hokay. I tried it out. First thing I noticed is that the flakes are far more moist than the tinned flakes. I assume that has something to do with the lack of seal on the tins. I tend to like my tobacco not bone dry, so I went for a ten-fifteen minute dry and then packed it in the pipe. Initial thoughts after I got it going was "more mellow" than the tinned. As I got through the half-way mark, it was more like the tinned in that is maintained its flavor, but had more depth than when it was first lit. Overall, I think the biggest differences will be the look and moisture. I did not notice anything terribly/drastically different b/w the two.
Just had my second bowl in my 106 billiard spigot and that is now deficated to 1792. A totally different experience! Delicious! So good I bought a box as well. From my experience with other bulk packaged tobacco, they seem to be more moist, which I think is due to package type. Idk if SG uses PG or notor whether they just add more topping. Most of my purchases of GH&Co are bulk so I cant compare. But 1792 is yummy.

grimpuffer

Can't Leave
Aug 29, 2016
You know, I can’t speak on how much SG blends have changed, but one of the funnier reviews on TR said, “A fresh tin has a smell reminiscent of a barnyard.”

Let me wife smell the tin today and she said, “Vanilla, and definitely tobacco, but leathery tobacco.”

Not sure what this barnyard smell was but I’m glad that’s gone if it was ever an issue :LOL:

Also, the first two boxes I got of 1792 were very moist, but the last one I got was soaking wet. Definitely variations in that even in the boxes.