PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

warren

Lifer
Sep 13, 2013
Foothills of the Chugach Range, AK
My Walmart carries Ruger, Levis, Dickies, Perrier, Hamilton Beach, Tim Tam(A grand Australian biscuit/cookie) etc. lots of quality names and merchandise. They have changed shopping habits though. Give you that.
We, Anchorage, lost a few of the "mom and pops" locally owned with the appearance of the "big box" stores. But, more than a few adapted and are still doing quite well. Poorly run or merely eking by businesses are usually the first to go when the sleek, low overhead companies come to town. They do employ a lot of locals though, some at minimum wage and others making decent salaries and packages.
No can of worms. Just plain old economics. New styles v old. The "old", usually in-a-rut, never had competition shops gotta look 'em in the eye and blink, figure out how to compete or close. It's a cold, hard reality out there. Competition is generally good for the customer though.

hobie1dog

Lifer
Jun 5, 2010
Cornelius, NC
From the Urban Dictionary
"race to the bottom"-
The current push by businesses to drive down the standard of living in America, as a result of businesses fighting to sell there products at the lowest possible cost in the marketplace. In order to achieve the lowest cost workers pay and benefits are reduced or eliminated. Wal-mart leads this race.

warren

Lifer
Sep 13, 2013
Well, coldly assessing, not everyone is supposed to be rich or even lower middle-class. There is supposed to be some incentive to improve one's self as it were. Some people are content to simply exist. Others? They want it all and are willing to compete for it. When Walmart can't find employees they'll have to adjust. Much as they are now, taking on Amazon. I see people crowded into the employment area, filling out employment paperwork, most every time I enter the local Walmart.
The most important objective for a business is profit. Walmart does that exceedingly well. They even help the upwardly mobile with great products are decent prices. I do not shop them often but, there are things I only purchase from them. Tim Tams being one and Lee jeans the other. Their purchasing power and the ability to negotiate with suppliers and manufacturers is better than even Costco. Of course they have Sam's Club in the mix for bargaining. Probably one of the best managed corporations in America. They're agile and rich, have brilliant people in corporate and never seem to lose focus on the "brass ring."
I do own stock so, I am a fan. I probably do better by them than they do fr9om me.

May 4, 2015
Walmart bashing always felt like sour grapes to me. Would be be "better" to patronize local businesses? Sure, I guess for them... I'm not a fan of making 6 different stops because I need a shower head, a prescription, a loaf of bread, windshield washer fluid, suspenders and and oil change, though. As a time saver when time with family is already limited, I'll take the one-stop shop every time. Sorry, mom and pop.

warren

Lifer
Sep 13, 2013
Walmart pours moneys into local economies through local taxes and employing locals. Successfully fending off the unions probably causes the most resentment as they put more moneys back into the local economy than the wee "mom and pops" did/do. Unions would dearly love a piece of the Walmart pie even as they realize "going union" would cripple, then likely kill off Walmart. If a union ever gains a solid foothold it'll be time to sell the stock.
Wallmart stores are, point of fact, great for local economies. Deadly to some less agile competitors of course. But, generally a boost to the local economy and good for savvy consumers in general.

philobeddoe

Lifer
Oct 31, 2011
East Indiana
The richest men I've ever met have all been farmers, they dress like they're worth fifty cents, but in reality they are multi-millionaires, not just in land and equipment either, in real money. But they would never let on to an outsider.

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
Ha. Most of the blue-collar "rednecks" I know make WAY better money than I do at my "white-collar" job.
You know it. :wink:
The richest men I've ever met have all been farmers, they dress like they're worth fifty cents, but in reality they are multi-millionaires, not just in land and equipment either, in real money. But they would never let on to an outsider.
The very definition of my dad's side of the family.

mawnansmiff

Lifer
Oct 14, 2015
Sunny Cornwall, UK.
"I think the camouflage clothing is the first identification."
But Hobie, how can you know that? Surely if they are wearing camouflage you wouldn't see them :rofl:
Regards,
Jay.

pappymac

Lifer
Feb 26, 2015
Small independent grocery stores and two chain grocery stores in the small town I live in have survived two Super Walmarts and 2 of those "Neighborhood" Walmarts that are mainly grocery stores. We have 3 Winn-Dixies, 2 Rouses (Local Louisiana chain) and 4 small independent stores. They survive not by beating Wal Mart prices but with better selection and with people actually working at the registers to check you out, take your money and say thank you. Our Walmarts have gone heavily into self-checking. Last time I was in the nearby one, they had two people working registers and really long lines at the self check because people can't get the hang of it.

deathmetal

Lifer
Jul 21, 2015
The current push by businesses to drive down the standard of living in America, as a result of businesses fighting to sell there products at the lowest possible cost in the marketplace. In order to achieve the lowest cost workers pay and benefits are reduced or eliminated. Wal-mart leads this race.
Too much competition can be ruinous just as not enough can.
@chasingembers:
That's a literal "or." Impoverished or redneck = two categories. These are terms that people use to complain about Wal-mart in Texas, where impoverished is code for minorities and "redneck" is code for white people who are not urban. As someone frequently accused of being redneck because of a refusal to adopt urban codes of behavior and attire, I use the term with quotations because I think it unreliable.
As far as Wal-mart, Costco and other bulk stores go, I am in favor: they are more efficient. Most of the abuses attributed to these stores are in fact artifacts of American law, made by silly people and voted on by idiotic herds. As I said elsewhere, stockpile tricorner hats and ammo, but never forget that the real melonfarmer is the voter.
Melonfarmer is slang for a vernacular term with a similar rhythm and initials (M.F.).
Now, if you want to talk about ruinous competition, we should mention Amazon here, who through creative accounting have managed to demolish American retail. 40% of dollars spent online go to Amazon, and the company does not actually make a profit. Something to think about.

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
"I think the camouflage clothing is the first identification."
But Hobie, how can you know that? Surely if they are wearing camouflage you wouldn't see them :rofl:
Regards,
Jay.
So this is invisible?
306250bf0611178980a4af72072e8d55--country-women-country-girls.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.