PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

reniaeats

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jun 4, 2014
United States
@Davet the ranking I'm referring to is Google Search engine rankings. We live and die by the "Google Gods" and we live to serve them in the ecommerce world, particularly in pipes where we are extremely limited in what we can do for online advertising. Every once in awhile Google throws something at websites that forces them to update or drop out of search.
Think of a website like most other forms of technology, once a new version comes out the old version stops being serviced after awhile. For instance, you'd have a hard time finding someone who can repair a VCR anymore or a computer that can read a floppy disk. Websites work the same way, the nuts and bolts of them become obsolete quickly and need constant updating.

Mar 1, 2014
Ok, if Google is determining homepage content then that makes things an order of magnitude more complicated.
I would love to have an exhaustive list of manufacturer names the moment the page loads, but I'm guessing that may not go over so well other places.
Prime example, I'm betting that's why there's only nine links in the "fresh pipes" column on the homepage.
Can they just make two homepages?

Right now I have two shortcuts for the website that go straight to the pipes and tobacco sections so that I have my manufacturer list from square one.

deathmetal

Lifer
Jul 21, 2015
@reniaeats:
Reddit is a hostile place filled with trolls. Guess only a very certain type of male is welcome there and the rest of us are left scratching our heads.
I second this analysis. In fact, it's one of the more perceptive ones of that particular site that I have seen. It's a clubhouse and echo chamber.
For those of you who don't work in ecommerce, we live and die by search engine rankings and some of their old setup was hurting their rankings.
There are many ways to implement SEO, and in my experience, the best also make for an easily navigated site. Sometimes -- often -- the less tricked-out methods work better.
I hate skinny jeans and pretentious behavior as much as the next person (see comments on Reddit experience), but I'd have a hard time kicking hipsters out of the pipe club.
I haven't suggested "kicking out" anyone, but I think there's something to be said for the idea that the audience you attract takes over, and alters the product. The easy dollars of today can bring tears for tomorrow.

Aug 14, 2012
I have given up on them. I was once a very good customer. They are overpriced, understocked and write mendacious sales messages. They also have trouble sending the correct order. Overall, full of it.

Mar 1, 2014
Hokey Pow would you look at that!

(Big long list of fresh pipes on the homepage, including dates with alternating colors. Very nice.)

May 3, 2010
Las Vegas, NV
The only complaint I have so far is that you can't search by specific models under a certain brand anymore. They're just all listed together. Other than that I love the new site.

Mar 1, 2014
http://www.smokingpipes.com/pipes/new/savinelli/index.cfm?tag=121
Like this?
(I agree that the "Tags" label for pipe selection within brands should be changed.)

aggravatedfarmer

Part of the Furniture Now
Sep 9, 2015
I've never used SP. seen some of their pipes on showcase and thought they were out of my price range.
On the topic of hipsters. They will never admit they are hipsters. They eat the healthiest food, but drink the cheapest beer. Smoke weed and get tattoos. They are always seeking a vintage look and are as pretentious as they come. They love to try to debate politics, but have never been able to defeat any logic in a debate. Otherwise they are a symbol of pop culture. The hipsters that dabble in pipe smoking may end up giving up their hipster roots and become outstanding citizens.
Neck beards make you Amish.

May 3, 2010
Las Vegas, NV
like this?
(I agree that the "Tags" label for pipe selection within brands should be changed.)
Before it listed the models like Autographs, Punto Oros, Oscar Lucites etc. under the brand and you could click that model name and it'd show all the shapes they had in that model from Savinelli. I don't see a way to do that with the new site.

elpfeife

Lifer
Dec 25, 2013
If you click on Savinelli on the left hand column you bring up all their Savs. At the top is a Tags doohickey. If you click on that you can choose the model you wish to see.

Mar 1, 2014
lordofthepiperings:

Before it listed the models like Autographs, Punto Oros, Oscar Lucites etc. under the brand and you could click that model name and it'd show all the shapes they had in that model from Savinelli. I don't see a way to do that with the new site.
Yes, that is exactly what the "Tags" drop down menu does. It's between the grid of individual pipes and the "Pipe Locator" button that's also just above the grid.

Mar 1, 2014
Like I mentioned in another thread, sometimes understanding technology requires exhaustively clicking on everything that can possibly be interacted with.

It's the "carpet bombing" method of understanding interfaces.

drwatson

Lifer
Aug 3, 2010
toledo
Amazing. As we all sit here, members of a dying breed and dwindling ranks, we are going to shit on the very people who are helping fuel the upswing in pipe smoking? Get over the hipster hatred. I find it ironic that we claim to be such a open, calm, welcoming community, when in reality, it appears quite the opposite.
:clap:

jollyroger

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 10, 2015
You know, I never did get people's need to segment and categorise others around them, as if that shallow and unscientific categorization would somehow provide them, by power of induction, with supreme insight regarding what to expect and how to deal with their surroundings. As if a proper definition of a hipster will better help you avoid something you do not like.
Well let me tell you, that's absolute and utter bullshit.
I might not have a neckbeard, but I do have a beard and quite a few tattoos, I make it a point to be visually appealing, and if that means keeping an open mind with regards to what both looks good and is being sold and therefor in fashion, what else could possibly be inferred about me?
I listen to every type of music I can get my hands on. I laugh at funny reddit posts.

But I also happen the be a husband and father of a brilliant 4 year old boy. Ex military infantry, ex commercial beer brewer, current software engineer.
Stop trying to alienate people by differentiation. You're just harming your own cause.
I am a smokingpipes customer. So far their responsiveness, professionalism and customer service have been very accommodating.

I also dig the new site but would like a greater variety of search filters.

Status
Not open for further replies.