• IMG_3774.JPG
    IMG_3774.JPG
    140.8 KB · Views: 7

Ahi Ka

Lurker
Feb 25, 2020
Aotearoa (New Zealand)
Here's the "Chubby" series.
Fascinating. Would I be correct in assuming that the chubby series was only released under the ‘own make’ line? If so, this would mean that my pipe is indeed a golfer. I am also wondering about the ‘push’ stem, as during the restoration we noticed that the shank was too tight for the tenon to be corkscrewed in, but could easily be inserted with a gentle forward push. However the catalogue does mention that the screw stems could be changed for a push one.

pitchfork

Lifer
May 25, 2012
Fascinating. Would I be correct in assuming that the chubby series was only released under the ‘own make’ line? If so, this would mean that my pipe is indeed a golfer. I am also wondering about the ‘push’ stem, as during the restoration we noticed that the shank was too tight for the tenon to be corkscrewed in, but could easily be inserted with a gentle forward push. However the catalogue does mention that the screw stems could be changed for a push one.

Does your tenon have a bone screw, or is the mortise grooved for one?

The BBB catalogue is downright baroque -- it has every conceivable permutation of stem type, mount, size, etc. on offer. And yet, I've seen pipes with original parts that aren't listed exactly that way in the catalogue.

My guess is that you (the retailer) could pretty much order what you wanted, and so I wouldn't put too much stock into whether the stem is push or screw. I'm pretty sure yours is a Golfer, based on the shape and dimensions.

Reactions: Ahi Ka and jpmcwjr

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
Are there grooves on the tenon? I've not encountered a pipe that won't allow the "unscrewing" of the stem. And I never push or pull without twisting.

Sorry, can't answer your question.

Reactions: Ahi Ka

Ahi Ka

Lurker
Feb 25, 2020
Aotearoa (New Zealand)
No grooves on either tenon or mortise. Stem is all vulcanite - actually included a pic of the tenon earlier. Yeah I always twist when inserting/removing stem, and it is possible to do this as per normal for the first 2/3 of the process, but this pipe needs a little knack for getting the stem inserted properly. I just assumed it was due to being an old pipe etc and needed a bit extra work, but after reading about the golfer on pitchforks first catalogue pic, I noticed the ‘push stem’ reference and I gently tried inserting the stem without a twist and it went in perfectly with ease.

either way I will continue to be extra careful as to preserve the condition of the pipe.

am I reading too much into the whole ‘push stem’ thing, and it is more a reference to not having a screw tenon?

Chur

pitchfork

Lifer
May 25, 2012
"am I reading too much into the whole ‘push stem’ thing, and it is more a reference to not having a screw tenon?"

That's my understanding. Push stems were the exception when screw-in stems were the rule.

Reactions: jpmcwjr and Ahi Ka

michail

Starting to Get Obsessed
May 7, 2015
Paros, Greece
That's an amazing finding and we'll executed restoration.

I love those early 1900's compact shapes. Most pipes of the era were like this until the prince shape came and changed the game

Reactions: Ahi Ka
Status
Not open for further replies.