PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ahi Ka

Lurker
Feb 25, 2020
Aotearoa (New Zealand)
With army mount:
Thanks for all the pics! Great to know where it sits in the BBB line. So glad I picked her up. The online pics were pretty poor quality but I couldn’t resist the shape and once I saw the faint outline of L.B that was visible on the band, I knew I would regret not pulling the trigger...Isaac, we may have our work cut out for us trying collect the rest of them. Haha

pitchfork

Lifer
May 25, 2012
Funny enough, the index to the catalogue has an entry for:

"'Golf' or 'Chubby' pipes....."

I'll post the Chubby pipes later, today. There's 3 or 4 pages of those as well. I don't know if Golfer and Chubby are really the same thing - I mean, this is just how they're marketed in the catalogue as far as I can tell. They're not marked in any way on the pipes themselves.

Beyond the "Own Make" designation, I think the only pipes marked in a special way are the 'Glokar' pipes, which have a P-lip style of button. (And they're marked only on the silver band or on the rubber stem.)

Reactions: jpmcwjr and Ahi Ka

Ahi Ka

Lurker
Feb 25, 2020
Aotearoa (New Zealand)
Funny enough, the index to the catalogue has an entry for:

"'Golf' or 'Chubby' pipes....."

I'll post the Chubby pipes later, today. There's 3 or 4 pages of those as well. I don't know if Golfer and Chubby are really the same thing - I mean, this is just how they're marketed in the catalogue as far as I can tell. They're not marked in any way on the pipes themselves.

Beyond the "Own Make" designation, I think the only pipes marked in a special way are the 'Glokar' pipes, which have a P-lip style of button. (And they're marked only on the silver band or on the rubber stem.)
It will be interesting to see if the chubby range also have the ‘push’ vulcanite stem

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
Great stuff! It seems the golfer series were all rusticated. Can't wait to see the others.

As a golfer of sorts, the shorter and stockier the pipe, the less likely it's to get broken, stuffing it in a pocket for a shot, for example.

I can't imagine they didn't market a shooter's series.

Ahi Ka

Lurker
Feb 25, 2020
Aotearoa (New Zealand)
Great stuff! It seems the golfer series were all rusticated. Can't wait to see the others.

As a golfer of sorts, the shorter and stockier the pipe, the less likely it's to get broken, stuffing it in a pocket for a shot, for example.

If this is the case, then potentially it is not a golfer pipe as it has a smooth finish

pitchfork

Lifer
May 25, 2012

Actually, they're all smooth -- what you're seeing is just how the illustrator depicts grain patterns on smooth pipes. I don't believe BBB made sandblasted pipes, even, until the late 1910s or early 1920s.

Reactions: Ahi Ka

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
Ah, makes sense. They sure looked liked rustications, but I guess they were working from something other than a photograph. (Jesse?)

Now my PAD has ticked up big time.

Reactions: pitchfork

pitchfork

Lifer
May 25, 2012
Same here. Looking back through the catalogue I see a ton of really cool shapes that I'd like to own some day. Lots of shapes I've simply never seen in real life before, including, until the other day, the Golfer pipe in the OP.

Reactions: jpmcwjr

Ahi Ka

Lurker
Feb 25, 2020
Aotearoa (New Zealand)
Same here. Looking back through the catalogue I see a ton of really cool shapes that I'd like to own some day. Lots of shapes I've simply never seen in real life before, including, until the other day, the Golfer pipe in the OP.
Man, I would never have posted the pics if I knew it would have caused you both trouble ?

Reactions: jpmcwjr

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
Some of the folks I play golf with are a tad chubby. But for the most part, we are a fit, if aging, group of fellas.

Ahi- Not to worry. You have stoked a long dormant (well, three months) fire, and I just have to have a "golfer".

pitchfork

Lifer
May 25, 2012
Some of the folks I play golf with are a tad chubby. But for the most part, we are a fit, if aging, group of fellas.

Ahi- Not to worry. You have stoked a long dormant (well, three months) fire, and I just have to have a "golfer".

I was waiting for the chubby golfer jokes!

Reactions: jpmcwjr and Ahi Ka
Status
Not open for further replies.