Drucquers Banner

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

danimalia

Lifer
Sep 2, 2015
San Francisco Bay Area, USA
The pipe is only 5 1/2" long, right where I like 'em, and the stem work cant be beat. Maybe I'll take a chance.
At 5.5" I doubt it would feel too unbalanced. I've had a couple of Canadian variants between 5.5-6" and both are comfortable to me, though I'm not much of a clencher. I really like the shapes though it's more of an aesthetics thing than any superior smoking characteristics in my experience.

UncleRasta

Lifer
Sep 26, 2019
Monterey, CA
Sorry, man, but I don't buy the "cooler smoke" thing. At all. At the rat smoke travels through the shank, it's not in there long enough to cool anything. I consider this Pipe Myth #1. I'm more concerned with how the pipe FEELS in the clench.
I certainly have to be more cadence-aware when smoking a nose-warmer, so I believe there is something in the shank length "myth"

beefeater33

Lifer
Apr 14, 2014
Central Ohio
I love the Canadian shape and for some reason only reach for them in the winter. l do clench some but not all the time. The older Brit wood is what you want if you’re looking for lightweight.
Here’s a few of mine, the tanshell is 33 grams, the one above it is 37 grams. The rest are 26-28 grams and well balanced. The shorty in the bunch is 6-1/4”.....,.,

Attachments

• E1DACC3A-0551-4CB7-A915-AF1B062132A8.jpeg
    E1DACC3A-0551-4CB7-A915-AF1B062132A8.jpeg
    171 KB · Views: 5

briarbuck

Lifer
Nov 24, 2015
I bought from an estate and then had Anthony refinish an XL Comoy's Blue Ryband extraordinaire that turned out nice. It's not my normal shape but I like it quite a lot and use it often.
135209721_10160081114412573_3509501313314266789_o.jpg

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
My first Lovat that I can remember owning is my first Rad Davis Lovat. It is barely 6" long and it is a large group 4-small group 5. I was blown away by his stem work. I had smoked pipe that were thousands more and not a none had a stem like this. I also was amazed at the balance and the pipes ability to smoke itself and to never need a pipe cleaner to get any moisture out of it. It smoked bone dry and I live in SW Florida. The pipe began an obsession as besides how incredibly well it smoked, it looked pretty good as he had a deft touch on the sand blaster machine. I am at 22 Rad's and am always looking for a great deal on another. My criteria for buying a pipe these days is very strict and I don't go ojut side my zone for any pipe. I ended up buying 2 more Lovats from Rad and a couple of others from another maker (?).

I do have a rule of never going past 6.5 inches as that length unbalances the pipes look and it's feel. I am a picky piper, there are probably way more people not nearly as picky as myself. I like what I like and make no excuses for my choices. Most of the people at this site know what a picky guy I am and don't try to kick me out so I think I am ok for now.
First Rad Davis and first Lovat. I purchased this in August of 2012 from Marty Pulvers . It was 395.00 brand new, not sure if I paid shipping. It was the pipe that made all my Danish,English and Italian pipes seem second rate. I was blown away at how the pipe performed. I began collecting new and estate American pipes and I have never regretted it.
Here is where the obsession began.

The next two, both Rads were like a brother and sister as they were almost the exact same size and I smoked 2007 Stonehaven only in the for a number of years. Here are those two.

tschiraldi

Lifer
Dec 14, 2015
Ohio
My first Lovat that I can remember owning is my first Rad Davis Lovat. It is barely 6" long and it is a large group 4-small group 5. I was blown away by his stem work. I had smoked pipe that were thousands more and not a none had a stem like this. I also was amazed at the balance and the pipes ability to smoke itself and to never need a pipe cleaner to get any moisture out of it. It smoked bone dry and I live in SW Florida. The pipe began an obsession as besides how incredibly well it smoked, it looked pretty good as he had a deft touch on the sand blaster machine. I am at 22 Rad's and am always looking for a great deal on another. My criteria for buying a pipe these days is very strict and I don't go ojut side my zone for any pipe. I ended up buying 2 more Lovats from Rad and a couple of others from another maker (?).

I do have a rule of never going past 6.5 inches as that length unbalances the pipes look and it's feel. I am a picky piper, there are probably way more people not nearly as picky as myself. I like what I like and make no excuses for my choices. Most of the people at this site know what a picky guy I am and don't try to kick me out so I think I am ok for now.
First Rad Davis and first Lovat. I purchased this in August of 2012 from Marty Pulvers . It was 395.00 brand new, not sure if I paid shipping. It was the pipe that made all my Danish,English and Italian pipes seem second rate. I was blown away at how the pipe performed. I began collecting new and estate American pipes and I have never regretted it.
Here is where the obsession began.

The next two, both Rads were like a brother and sister as they were almost the exact same size and I smoked 2007 Stonehaven only in the for a number of years. Here are those two.

Shoot, you want picky??? All my pipes are either Billiards or Dublins. That's it. They have to be between 5 1/2" to 5 3/4" long, period. The bowl must be between 1 1/2" to 1 3/4" tall with an inner diameter of 0.73" to 0.78". Other than 2 glove compartment emergency pipes, all my pipes are from only 3 makers. See why this is so difficult for me??? This pipe would be different, and I dont do different! (Sigh)

ashdigger

Lifer
Jul 30, 2016
Vegas Baby!!!
Shoot, you want picky??? All my pipes are either Billiards or Dublins. That's it. They have to be between 5 1/2" to 5 3/4" long, period. The bowl must be between 1 1/2" to 1 3/4" tall with an inner diameter of 0.73" to 0.78". Other than 2 glove compartment emergency pipes, all my pipes are from only 3 makers. See why this is so difficult for me??? This pipe would be different, and I dont do different! (Sigh)
You probably never let your peas touch your mashed potatoes, or you separated the peas from the carrots, before you ate them when you were a kid. Just saying.

Status
Not open for further replies.