PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

tschiraldi

Lifer
Dec 14, 2015
Ohio
There are very few pipe shapes / styles I haven't owned and smoked, however, I have never owned (or smoked) Canadian or Lovat, you know, pipes with long shanks and short bits. They always look heavy and unbalanced to me. It's odd, I guess, because I love Billiards. There is a Canadian pipe that has really caught my eye (a first). I would like experienced opinions on this. Are Canadian and Lovat pipes as heavy and unbalanced as they look to me? Is a short bit uncomfortable, or do they feel similar to a Billiard in the clench?

Reactions: Casual and scloyd

tradition

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 27, 2018
Connecticut, USA
A Comoy's Canadian Tradition (#298) is one of my favorite pipes. The long shank makes for a cooler smoke.

Comoys_Tradition_298_Tobacco_Pipe_Smooth_kit__82017.1452783383.jpg

OzPiper

Lifer
Nov 30, 2020
Sydney, Australia
Some shapes push the right button, and others don't.

I have more straight Bulldogs and billiards than any other shape, but only 3 Rhodesians and no Canadians/lovats/lumberman - those shapes just don't appeal to me, despite being somewhat similar to the Bulldogs and billiards I love

Reactions: fjc623

lraisch

Part of the Furniture Now
Jul 4, 2011
Granite Falls, Washington state
I have 5 or 6 Canadians or Lovats and they are little different from a billiard or any other shape unless taken to an extreme. I do have a Brebbia Iceberg which is about 7 inches long with a large bowl and that is hard to clench though it is an excellent smoking pipe.

IMO, the overall length and weight as well as the comfort of the bit is far more relevant than the proportion of stem and shank.

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
There are very few pipe shapes / styles I haven't owned and smoked, however, I have never owned (or smoked) Canadian or Lovat, you know, pipes with long shanks and short bits. They always look heavy and unbalanced to me. It's odd, I guess, because I love Billiards. There is a Canadian pipe that has really caught my eye (a first). I would like experienced opinions on this. Are Canadian and Lovat pipes as heavy and unbalanced as they look to me? Is a short bit uncomfortable, or do they feel similar to a Billiard in the clench?
More like a Bing, but effortless clenching.

img_20160221_173205-11.jpg

scloyd

Lifer
May 23, 2018
Here's a link to my $2 Savinelli Canadian. It's 7.5" in length and weighs 50g...too heavy to clench, but still a nice looking pipe. You might find this interesting.

stokesdale

Part of the Furniture Now
Apr 17, 2020
Stokesdale
I own two canadians and a lumberman...three of the best pipes I've owned. Clenching isn't an issue because the weight of the pipe is spread out over the entire shank, that's why the bowls of canadians tend to be slightly smaller in size. Mine weigh somewhere just under 2 ozs; I have a Savinelli spring billiard that weighs the same but doesn't clench as well as my canadians do because it's shorter and all the weight is in the bowl.

Status
Not open for further replies.