PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Tar Wheel

Lifer
May 23, 2020
Winston-Salem, North Carolina
There were 2 guys that stopped me and approved of my cart's contents and one of them recommended an additional bottle. That's where the Barrel Dovetail came from.
They were correct. You need at least one cask strength bottle. I haven’t tried the Dovetail, but I’ve gone through a few Barrell selections and all have been very good to great.?

shanez

Lifer
Jul 10, 2018
Las Vegas
There were 2 guys that stopped me and approved of my cart's contents and one of them recommended an additional bottle. That's where the Barrel Dovetail came from.
I have the Dovetail and really like although I've just started on the bottle. With more complex stuff I like to get through about half a bottle before making judgement.

Good call on the Angel's Envy, BTW. I consider it a necessity for any bar.

If you enjoy that Four Roses small batch look for their single barrel.

One more bottle to keep an eye out for (it sells out fast here) is Eagle Rare.

I consider the Eagle Rare and Four Roses single barrel to be on the same level. Neither is better than the other but one might agree with your palate. I lean towards the Eagle Rare but will take a glass of the Four Roses anytime.

Briar Lee

Lifer
Sep 4, 2021
Humansville Missouri
The title pretty much says it all...

I have been playing with Whiskeys and Bourbons for a while now (yes, I know all bourbons are whiskeys) and I have come to the conclusion that I really like the sweetness corn brings to the table. I have also concluded I really don't like peaty whiskeys.

I am looking for 2 things I am hoping some of you can help with.

1. I am retiring at the end of this year and would like to buy 1 exceptional bottle of Bourbon for that event. Price is not much of a factor.
2. I am also looking excellent Bourbons to stock for regular consumption and price plays no role as I know some bourbons are reasonably priced but are exceptionally fine. I would like to narrow down the field by using your experiences so I don't end up with a bunch of mistakes in the cabinet.

Help a brother out with some suggestions?
I own a farm near Humansville and keep excellent bourbon on hand for my visitors and friends. Occasionally I even have a snort myself.

Many years ago in college several of us made a study of fine bourbon whiskey, and came to the conclusion that any bourbon that was bottled in bond is such a high grade of booze that which brand is purely a matter of individual taste.

There are many excellent bourbons, at a wide range of prices. But my last few bottles have been Evan Williams Bottled in Bond. There’s really no bourbon any better, just different by small degrees.

Enjoy with moderation, or else….. you could wind up like Ira Louvin:

Tar Wheel

Lifer
May 23, 2020
Winston-Salem, North Carolina
So based on a few additional Recommendations, I did a little more shopping. I found an incredible liquor store in my area.

View attachment 133982
Now that’s my kind of liquor store. Were the Taylor’s and Stagg Jr. on the shelf or ” in the back”? Either way, you’ve found a honey hole! Make friends and reap the rewards.