SmokingPipes.com Updates

Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Nice score!

I still haven't come across Batch 15 of the Stagg Jr. I'll be curious to hear what your tasting notes on it are.
I am told it's the least favorite out of 14,15 and 16, but I will let you know my thoughts. Do bear in mind I will have no other Stagg to compare it with. Well, probably not... puffy

Brewfan

Part of the Furniture Now
Jul 5, 2021
Louisville, KY, USA
It was given a brief mention. Any of the Jim Beam small batch bourbons are very good: Booker's, Baker's, Basil Hayden and Knob Creek. Very good values imo.
Interesting tidbit on Beam products - they all use the same proprietary yeast, which was apparently captured in the wild in the late 1800s from the master distiller's back porch. Some, like me, perceive a strong peanut taste from it. Not peanut butter, but peanut right out of the shell. It's off-putting to me, so I stay clear of all things Beam. Others love it.

I couldn't figure out why my coveted 15 year Knob Creek tasted so terrible to me, so I had to look it up.

Jun 18, 2020
Wilmington, NC
Interesting tidbit on Beam products - they all use the same proprietary yeast, which was apparently captured in the wild in the late 1800s from the master distiller's back porch. Some, like me, perceive a strong peanut taste from it. Not peanut butter, but peanut right out of the shell. It's off-putting to me, so I stay clear of all things Beam. Others love it.

I couldn't figure out why my coveted 15 year Knob Creek tasted so terrible to me, so I had to look it up.
I'm the same unfortunately...

brian64

Lifer
Jan 31, 2011
I hadn't had Jim Beam in a long time but I never disliked it. I was at the store yesterday looking for Buffalo Trace which is hit and miss and they were out this time, so I ended up with Baker's single barrel, and I can definitely tell what you mean by the peanut taste...but I guess I'm one who doesn't mind, at least for a change of pace, because I'm really liking the Baker's.

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
In the semi-rural NorthEastern USA
Liquor prices have gone nuts.
my suggestion is instead of buying what you've heard of buy something you never heard of before at the same price or slightly less. The savings are in them not putting money into you finding the product or hearing about it. Works pretty well. Aficionados are often like how'd you find this? Just shopping by price and lacking of brand loyalty.

Streeper541

Lifer
Jun 16, 2021
Spencer, OH
I've become partial to Irish Whiskey over the years, but if I'm not sipping on spirits from the Emerald Isle then you bet I'm drinking bourbon. Below are a few suggestions;

Western Reserve Distillers 15 yr Cask Strength Bourbon

Booker's Bourbon, a higher end offering from the Jim Beam distillery... always excellent

Blanton’s Single Barrel Bourbon, offered from the Buffalo Trace distillery

Four Rose's Small Batches are usually pretty good, and I've often celebrated special occasions with friends over a bottle.

If you're willing to try an Irish Whiskey, Red Breast 27 yr... you won't be disappointed!

Congrats on your pending retirement!