SmokingPipes.com Updates

New Cigars

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner

Your dog sniffs a lot of worse things than pipe smoke..........
True, things like yard pesticide is probably/most-likely worse than tobacco smoke. Although, something being more unhealthy doesn’t make the unhealthy not unhealthy; but perhaps, my logic here is flawed. I guess your point is that pipe smoke should be the least of my concern.

Mar 1, 2014
I just googled and it said that dogs get cancer at the same rate as humans, so I guess not. But I just googled that so take that with a grain of salt I guess. But if I had a dog and it liked being around me smoking I wouldn't worry.
Exactly.
How many pack-a-day smokers die of cancer within 10 years?
Moreover how many dogs are pack-a-day smokers?

Dogs will never die of exposure to tobacco smoke, they just don't live long enough for symptoms to show.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I'm a one or two bowl a day pipe smoker, so I haven't given this much thought. When they were kittens, our two Maine Coon lookalike rescue cats were fascinated with the pipe smoke, and they still seem to enjoy watching the smoke rise.

Cats are nose breathers, only breathing through their mouths when in distress. (The reason I prefer cats not overbred with short pug noses.) They are breathing through narrow passages, and they don't cough, sneeze, or leave the room, which indicates to me that they are not bothered by a limited amount of smoke.

Their sense of smell is more acute than humans', so they may be getting a lot more out of my blends than I am, flavor wise. They would appreciate the breadth of flavor discernment in jiminks' reviews. I think dogs would read an even wider range of flavors.

dctune

Part of the Furniture Now
I just asked my dog. He said it doesn’t bother him. Said he likes the smell of the non-aromatics. Then he said he was sorry but had to run. Something about how aggrieved he was that this other dog was out on a walk with his person, and they had the audacity to use the sidewalk in front of our house. He gets really bothered by silly stuff like that.

Streeper541

Lifer
Jun 16, 2021
Spencer, OH
Relatively safe? Pipe smokers with dogs, do you smoke around your dog? Has this ever directly affected your dog’s health?
My 10 y/o Mastiff lays at my feet most days while I smoke my pipe. The pups do as well. They've never complained and the older one hasn't developed a smoker's cough, so I'm sure it's fine.

In fact... they are all three laying by my feet, in my office, as I type this, while I'm smoking a pipe. puffy

Donb1972

Can't Leave
Feb 9, 2022
Erie, PA
My Yellow Lab died of cancer at 14. At the time, I smoked cigarettes. Whether Dogs can get cancer from pipe tobacco or not, I don't know. But I'm not taking the chance. I converted my dining porch into a smoking area, and only smoke there while inside. Outside, my Dogs sometimes sit by and watch the smoke, though.

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
In the semi-rural NorthEastern USA
well second hand smoke is bad for you. How? That's a big question without a good answer as far as I know. Smoke tends to rise and pets tend to be more down low nearer the ground. If they get cancer or not though... it still might impair their ability to breath and they have tiny little lungs compared to ours. And here is one thing they don't show illness as much as people do. To me the bottom line is they can't really make informed consent on the matter. They don't understand what's at stake or what effects it has on them. I'd say best not to. At the same time I don't feel like it's the biggest concern and I am not looking at anyone who does smoke around their pets as being bad pet parents. Me I wouldn't risk it though. Rather be too cautious then not cautious enough.

Merton

Jul 8, 2020
Boston, Massachusetts
Wow, sixteen years, I wish my pup lived to be sixteen. I worry because my eleven year old recently passed after a year long battle with heart failure; I wonder all the time if my habit of smoking had something to do with it. Since then, I have adopted another english bulldog pup who is eight weeks old. I want her to live to be sixteen like your pup. :)
My heart goes out to you. My Bulldog died 2 years ago next week on the eve of my 65th birthday. I miss him every day. We had to give him so many different heart pills over the years, I remember the pharmacist just shaking his head. There is something different about English Bulldogs. Perhaps they ought not be bred, but they are wonderful dogs. Good luck. Please get insurance. It will save you from making a decision that you don't need to make.

PoplarWight

Might Stick Around
Feb 13, 2022
Trapped in the root ball, Alabama
All the secondhand smoke research was pretty sketchy to begin with, and currently the anti-smoker groups are talking about how wood smoke is 12x more dangerous than cig smoke (and trying to get that banned too).
If you aren't worried about your dog being around a campfire, I'm pretty sure he'll be okay around the little bit of smoke coming out of your pipe.
1647993886692.png

HawkeyeLinus

Lifer
Oct 16, 2020
Iowa
My 4 year Setter is a squirrel - outside on the deck if the gas grill is hot he avoids it like the plague, can't stand smoke, doesn't like a lit match, and only approaches me if I have a pipe if I'm outside. Inside you can sense the resentment because he wants to sprawl all over me but "can't", lol. Yet he'll cosy up by the gas fireplace in the basement or the old fashioned normal wood fueled one in the living room all winter long (loves that heat). The just turned 15 year old Golden could care less, wherever me or the missus are is where he wants to be, either lying beside us or just standing there wanting some lovin' - pipe is intriguing to him, like "whatcha doing now", sort of like the kitchen which is now his favorite place to hang out just to observe if anyone is doing anything.

Reggie

Aug 22, 2020
Gardendale, Alabama
True, things like yard pesticide is probably/most-likely worse than tobacco smoke. Although, something being more unhealthy doesn’t make the unhealthy not unhealthy; but perhaps, my logic here is flawed. I guess your point is that pipe smoke should be the least of my concern.
No. I don't think your logic is flawed. I was being a bit of a comic. Your dog does inhale things like Anthrax that is naturally in the soil and anything else that we humans decide to pollute our planet with. Sorry if my comment seemed a little insensitive to your inquiry.