PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner

EvertonFC

Starting to Get Obsessed
May 5, 2020
Philadelphia
EDIT: Fixed Capitalization in Title (See Rule 9)

I'm finding that as a I get closer and closer to the bottom of the bowl, the tobacco seems less and less interested in taking a light and subsequently staying lit. I would assume that's because moisture has built up in the bottom of my bowl. For what it's worth, it doesn't feel like my tobacco is too moist prior to packing or that I'm smoking too hot (based on the feel of the bowl).

Any thoughts on what I'm likely doing wrong? I believe I've read that some folks pass a pipe cleaner through the stem half way through the bowl to collect excess moisture. Is that something most people do?

As always, thanks.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: Pipelady20
May 2, 2020
Louisiana
How are you packing the bowl?
Also, do you tamp throughout the bowl at all? How are you doing it?
Sorry for the questions, it’s just that it could be multiple things.

EvertonFC

Starting to Get Obsessed
May 5, 2020
Philadelphia
@EvertonFC, absolutely, you can pass a pipecleaner through the stem with unfiltered pipes ,yet It might be advisable You better leave your tobacco air dry for about half an hour prior to loading up,also avoid packing the bowl too tight,
Even when my tobacco feels dry enough to load straight from the jar, I'll let it sit for 30 minutes, just to err on the side of dryness. Thanks for your help.

EvertonFC

Starting to Get Obsessed
May 5, 2020
Philadelphia
How are you packing the bowl?
Also, do you tamp throughout the bowl at all? How are you doing it?
Sorry for the questions, it’s just that it could be multiple things.
Basically I'm using the classic 3-step. But definitely looser on the bottom, firmer on top. As for tamping, I'd say I tamp whenever I feel the ember is no longer in contact with the tobacco. I'll also dump the ash about half way through. Thanks for the help.

Reactions: stevecourtright
May 2, 2020
Louisiana
Maybe try a bit firmer pack towards the bottom than you are currently using. Don’t cram it in, but it’s okay to give it a light tamp before putting the next pinch full in. At least this has been my experience.

Reactions: Pipelady20

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
Come on, you Spurs!! I am still waiting on the resumption of EPL. I'd be fine with the season being cancelled, mainly 'cause my Spurs would be in Champions League based on last year. YMMV!

npod

Lifer
Jun 11, 2017
I would assume that's because moisture has built up in the bottom of my bowl.
Took me a few years to learn that this is usually the case. Do a little experiment and when the bowl goes bad and you are fighting the tobacco and simply getting frustrated, dump the bowl and call it quits and look at the tobacco on the bottom and the moisture in the bowl. It is probably wet.

Using pipe cleaners during the smoke will help. Ultimately, smoking slower is the best solution. If you are like me then you probably don't have 1-1.5 hours to "sip" the tobacco properly. In that case try a smaller pipe like an Eltang Basic and enjoy a quicker smoke. I almost guarantee you will have better results.

EvertonFC

Starting to Get Obsessed
May 5, 2020
Philadelphia
Dry a little more than you think, pack a little looser than you think, tamp lighter than you think, and smoke slower than you think you should.
Looser and lighter is something I've been doing as of late. Pace is where I struggle. Still trying to find that appropriate cadence where the smoke stays cool, but the bowl stays lit. Thanks for the suggestion.

Reactions: jpmcwjr and Casual
May 2, 2020
Louisiana
When I had just started, I always heard to pack it looser than you think you should. Well, I was packing it so loose that a stiff breeze could’ve probably blown the tobacco right out of my bowl. Needless to say, that was a no-go. I wonder if that’s what’s happening here. If it is indeed a moisture problem, the above advice on going slower and using a pipe cleaner periodically is well-warranted.

EvertonFC

Starting to Get Obsessed
May 5, 2020
Philadelphia
Took me a few years to learn that this is usually the case. Do a little experiment and when the bowl goes bad and you are fighting the tobacco and simply getting frustrated, dump the bowl and call it quits and look at the tobacco on the bottom and the moisture in the bowl. It is probably wet.
I will definitely do that.

Using pipe cleaners during the smoke will help. Ultimately, smoking slower is the best solution. If you are like me then you probably don't have 1-1.5 hours to "sip" the tobacco properly. In that case try a smaller pipe like an Eltang Basic and enjoy a quicker smoke. I almost guarantee you will have better results.
I'm fortunate in the fact that the wife doesn't care if I smoke in the house. And given that I'll likely be working from home for the better part of 2020, time is on my side. I just need to figure out my cadence. When the world returns to normal, I'm definitely going to make it out to the Philly Pipe Club events. I really think it would be a tremendous help if I could watch the cadence of others; how often they sip, how deeply they sip, how much smoke they expel, how often they tamp, etc. Thanks for your help. Very much appreciated.

Reactions: jpmcwjr

EvertonFC

Starting to Get Obsessed
May 5, 2020
Philadelphia
When I had just started, I always heard to pack it looser than you think you should. Well, I was packing it so loose that a stiff breeze could’ve probably blown the tobacco right out of my bowl. Needless to say, that was a no-go. I wonder if that’s what’s happening here. If it is indeed a moisture problem, the above advice on going slower and using a pipe cleaner periodically is well-warranted.
LOL. I think I did the same. I'm guessing I've had every degree of packing one could have. I am going to figure this out... some day. :ROFLMAO:

stogie37

Part of the Furniture Now
Mar 24, 2012
Southport, North Carolina
One other thought could be palate fatigue. Whether due to personal ph or maybe letting temps rise above optimum, I occasionally experience a bit of this - even after having been at it for almost 30yrs. I know white burley, and large doses of Latakia both can trigger this for me personally. As a 2-3 bowl a day piper, I make sure blends with these components fall later in my smoking day. While rarely does anything taste as good as the first half of the first bowl of the day with a cup of fresh coffee, often the final portion of a bowl is incredible and the final quarter of a bowl of a deep oriental blend is nirvana!

Reactions: jpmcwjr

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
LOL. I think I did the same. I'm guessing I've had every degree of packing one could have. I am going to figure this out... some day. :ROFLMAO:

If your tobacco is at the right moisture level, no packing "technique" is required (plug, rope and flake not rubbed out excepted) whatsoever. I cringe at the time wasted by folks taking more than ten seconds to load a pipe.