PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

EvertonFC

Starting to Get Obsessed
May 5, 2020
Philadelphia
One other thought could be palate fatigue. Whether due to personal ph or maybe letting temps rise above optimum, I occasionally experience a bit of this - even after having been at it for almost 30yrs. I know white burley, and large doses of Latakia both can trigger this for me personally. As a 2-3 bowl a day piper, I make sure blends with these components fall later in my smoking day. While rarely does anything taste as good as the first half of the first bowl of the day with a cup of fresh coffee, often the final portion of a bowl is incredible and the final quarter of a bowl of a deep oriental blend is nirvana!
Although I've dabbled with pipes on and off (mostly due to frustration) for about ten years, it's only been these last six months that I've dove head first. And it's only been since this madness broke out that I've been smoking two bowls a day. So tongue fatigue seems like a definite possibility. Thanks for the insights.

Reactions: jpmcwjr

EvertonFC

Starting to Get Obsessed
May 5, 2020
Philadelphia
If your tobacco is at the right moisture level, no packing "technique" is required (plug, rope and flake not rubbed out excepted) whatsoever. I cringe at the time wasted by folks taking more than ten seconds to load a pipe.
Huh. I'm surprised to see someone put so little emphasis on packing. That said, I do feel like I'm guilty of overthinking packing.

By the way, I love the avatar update. Cheers.

To me, Pipe smoking is not a nicotine delivery system. It's a sort of meditative process that slows down the world, gives me time to think, recenter and ground myself. Whatever time I take in preparation for this process is part of the process, hence not wasted time. I even weigh out my tobacco before packing. ?

I am still young to this hobby (coming up on 1 year) but my smokes are relaxing and require minimal effort to keep going.

I have learned there are many factors to a "Soggy Bottom" (wet bowl):

1. Relative humidity and temperature of where you are smoking. You could actually be drawing in the moisture.

2. Humidity level of the tobacco is, as mentioned above a big factor

3. Type of tobacco you are smoking. Some Aromatics are more prone to soggy bottom than say, a dry English.

4. The actual pipe makes a big difference. Construction is a big factor.

5. The type of pipe you use for various tobacco types. i.e. Aromatics like wider bowls as do English/Balkans. Virginias like narrower, deeper bowls. Burleys like damn near anything you put them in except cube cut which takes a special skill to smoke that I haven't figured out yet.. puffy

6. Cut of the tobacco. I grind my flakes to a uniform consistency.

Reactions: jcarne

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
Absolutely. Whatever process/ritual/approach one takes to smoking a pipe, all good. (Except when it's wasting time and mental energy).

Another example is the so-called "charring light", which is gospel to some, ritual to others, and a waste of time for me. Yeah, sometimes the first light doesn't stick, so I have done a charring light accidentally! :)

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
Huh. I'm surprised to see someone put so little emphasis on packing. That said, I do feel like I'm guilty of overthinking packing.

By the way, I love the avatar update. Cheers.

You wouldn't be the first!

Speaking of Everton, do you watch Men In Blazers? One of the hosts is a die hard fan.

EvertonFC

Starting to Get Obsessed
May 5, 2020
Philadelphia
4. The actual pipe makes a big difference. Construction is a big factor.

6. Cut of the tobacco. I grind my flakes to a uniform consistency.
On #4, I've not yet been able to discern too much difference between pipe construction quality. I have a pair of Savinellis, a pair of Petersons, a Boswell, a Neerup, and a Butz-Choquin. Aside from how they feel in my mouth, I don't think I could tell you yet that one's better then the next.

On #5, It's funny you mention that. I was actually wondering if anyone grinds their tobacco.

Thank you.

EvertonFC

Starting to Get Obsessed
May 5, 2020
Philadelphia
I believe that lighting the tobacco too vigorously can affect how the rest of the smoke goes -- especially that last third.
I'm curious about this. You think there's a link between vigorous lighting and a soggy finish? And if so, any theory as to why?

On #5, It's funny you mention that. I was actually wondering if anyone grinds their tobacco.

Thank you.

I grind my Ready rubbed flake as well as any Kake, flakes, or plug slices.

I use one of these. 8 bucks from Amazon:

Note the Pyramid shaped blades. This is VERY different from using a Pot grinder which has rectangular shaped blades and holes in the bottom so that everything is VERY small and RUINS the tobacco IMHO.

Some will tell you that a pot grinder works but it doesn't. I have first hand experience. Wasted 10 bucks on one before I found this one. If anyone wants it, let me know as the only thing I smoke is Tobacco in a pipe.

TheFall

Might Stick Around
Mar 20, 2020
Alberta, Canada
I'm curious about this. You think there's a link between vigorous lighting and a soggy finish? And if so, any theory as to why?
I have found that a less aggressive lighting technique also helps with the bottom of the bowl, especially when using butane. I will canvas with I am not new to pipes, but I am not experienced enough to be giving tips so the below are personal observations YMMV.

If you think about it on a chemical level, combustion has byproducts of carbon dioxide and water (among other things). This is why gas ovens are considered to cook juicer meat and not as good for crisping up things. If you are using a butane lighter and you are pulling the whole flame into the bowl or touching the tobacco with it, it is likely that you are pulling more moisture from the combustion reaction into the bowl. As opposed to pulling the heat into the bowl and letting some of the moisture escape.

For myself, when I started smoking pipes again a couple weeks ago, I was lighting the hell out of the tobacco and then I remembered about charing, holding the lighter a half inch above the bowl to light, ext and I noticed an improvement in flavour (from the start and not sour upon relights near the bottom of the bowl), a more even burn, and a reduction in relights. I did change other things as well but I noticed that the less aggressive technique helped as well as drying more than I thought I had too.

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
Just to note that the heat applied to the tobacco from any source can be adjusted by both distance from the tobacco and duration. Thus hotter butane can ignite just as softly as matches or a Zippo.

The superheated air past the tip of the flame is what gives a less torched application of heat.

Reactions: TheFall

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Like the former post said, tamping is one key. Also, if the flavor peters out, that's a good indication that there isn't viable tobacco for an proper ember, whether it is all burnt to ash or not. When relights last only a puff or three, the bowl is used up. Most would suspect I want to get every last nickel out of a blends, but when it's over, it's over.

Reactions: marconi and jpmcwjr

bullet08

Lifer
Nov 26, 2018
RTP, NC. USA
Some blends are more moist then the others. Don't just dry them. Pinch the tobacco between thumb and index finger to see if it's really dry or still damp and cold. Some tobacco will get crisp on the edge, but if you pinch it, it will still feel wet. After you empty out the chamber, look at the heel to see if there's any moisture. That will tell you if the tobacco was dry. Don't blow into the stem before you check. The moisture from the stem is not from tobacco.

Reactions: marconi