PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

dmcmtk

Lifer
Aug 23, 2013
Yes these drugs are being used/tested in live time here in NY.
And just so you understand what's going on in the Greater Metro NY area (I live in Westchester County) from earlier today, quoting myself from another post,

Latest update fron COVID central,

New York City 14,904
Westchester 3,891
Nassau 2,869
Suffolk 1,880
And current testing data by State,

The COVID Tracking Project - https://covidtracking.com/data/

Reactions: jpmcwjr

docrameous

Can't Leave
May 6, 2019
Colorado
Yeah, there have been some reports since Friday of last week of it helping and others saying it isn't. Speculation has spread enough that people are buying this up and pharmacies are running out.

If this isn't it, I am hopeful that there will be a breakthrough like this with some existing treatment or medicine. There is also speculation that warmer weather might slow this down. If this is true, it might also help with keeping the spread at bay in nations at the equator that have already struggling medical systems. (i.e. west Africa)

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Excellent if true. One trial does not settle the case. Public pressure can bring along efficacious drugs and vaccines, but also raise false hope. This puts immense pressure on the gatekeepers for drugs. A big trial for everyone.

condorlover1

Lifer
Dec 22, 2013
New York
I read somewhere or other that Leeches are excellent for treating Covid19 and that one should take 2 a day and let them dissolve slowly under the tongue for maximum results. Also according to my copy of Bald's Leech Book published 970 people are simply not giving leeches the attention they deserve. rotf

georged

Lifer
Mar 7, 2013
Taken collectively, Big Pharma is an international criminal organization that does not hesitate to let people die today to make more money later. Example: when a medicine is banned from a country because its health authorities declare the side effects kill too many people, it has low efficacy, or is no better than older, less expensive medicines, the manufacturer never removes it from other countries where it is sold. In fact, they double down on marketing to recover their investment in that drug. Why? Because hedge funds have invested billions in Big Pharma and they order its CEOs to make more money each year. The long term result of that pressure---since drug developers have been largely unable to find any new useful medicines for decades---is the creation of new generations of old medicines with cosmetic molecular modifications which are deemed to be more efficient than the old drugs by the studies they themselves fund (peer review means virtually nothing when everyone involved is part of a closed system that makes its living from the same golden goose). Even more outrageous from a reality standpoint, they "invent" new illnesses, both physical and mental, by bribing experts and journalists to create an awareness of it in the collective mind of the public. Complaints that they take to their doctors who are 1) unwilling to bite the 900 pound gorilla hand that feeds them; and 2) loathe to lo$e a patient when no harm can be done by indulging him (plus he'll just go next door, anyway).

What does all that have to do with the current Corona situation?

Let's just say anyone who thinks the Big Pharma people haven't bee holding non-stop $trategy $e$$ion$ for the past few months is naive. And the character of those people has been selected for for decades. Amoral, greedy, and self-interested being a pretty good resume.

You do the math.

adui

Can't Leave
Aug 26, 2019
Mesa Arizona
Population density is a bitch, innit?

Yet these planners keep insisting that in order to 'save' the planet everyone must be crammed in compact cities. :rolleyes:
Probably the same crowd that swears humanity is killing the planet. [insert conspiracy theory] The real reason they want us all packed together is that its easier to wipe out the majority of us that way. [end conspiracy theory]

Reactions: dmcmtk
Oct 7, 2016
Let's hope that this works and that sufficient amounts can be made to meet the need. Potential problems are that 83% of medications aren't made in the US, so good luck with supply, and that our medical infrastructure isn't designed to handle a pandemic, so good luck getting treatment even if supply becomes available.
Last week , Mylan and Teva both announced increased production of these anti malaria drugs.

Here

Mylans plant is, unfortunately, in a country foreign to California. West Virginia. ?

This is old news, guys. This drug was used to protect health care workers in China in the worst hit areas. I saw reports on that in mid January. My neighbor’s brother is a semi retired, for real, epidemiologist who spent his career in the US Public Health Service and still consults for them. He has been on the ground during this crisis in several Asian countries. On the Saturday before the Super Bowl, my neighbor was here and I asked him for his brothers view. It was appropriately down beat, to say the least. I asked, short of the development of a vaccine, what could be done to help in mitigation ? He said, “ some of the old anti malaria drugs are promising. “.

Billions of dollars are being spent chasing de novo drugs. Fact. These are generic drugs. Fact. If they in fact work, fewer billions of dollars will be spent in big pharma research labs. Fact.

Draw your own inferences.

olkofri

Lifer
Sep 9, 2017
The Arm of Orion
Probably the same crowd that swears humanity is killing the planet. [insert conspiracy theory] The real reason they want us all packed together is that its easier to wipe out the majority of us that way. [end conspiracy theory]
Hit both nails right on the head.

It's no conspiracy theory: it's conspirary FACT. We're seeing it already: 1) countries and/or cities with the highest population densities are the ones being hit hardest—Italy, Germany, Spain, NYC, Seattle, &c.; 2) it's much easier for the enforcers to keep tabs on the people when they're crammed in a tight geographic spot—much more difficult to enforce curfews where you have hundreds/thousands of square miles of countryside to patrol and not enough cell towers for triangulation.

I saw it coming way earlier: My urban planning instructor was one of those leftists who was always pushing on us students the 'progressive' planning ideas of intensification, war on cars, endless zoning and housing regulations, war on suburbia, walk to work, and ride transit everywhere. Being environmentally 'conscious' was one of the excuses given for all that red crap. How about riding transit now, huh? Yet, I don't think the ominous pall the current epidemic is casting on crowded buses is gonna make her change her mind, or the minds of all the reds that think like her, on all that

Status
Not open for further replies.