PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

olkofri

Lifer
Sep 9, 2017
The Arm of Orion
He said, “ some of the old anti malaria drugs are promising. “.

Billions of dollars are being spent chasing de novo drugs. Fact. These are generic drugs. Fact. If they in fact work, fewer billions of dollars will be spent in big pharma research labs. Fact.

Draw your own inferences.
Cinchona has been in the medical repertoire for centuries. Then all of a sudden it became 'dangerous' and was highly controlled by the FDA (surprise?) and then contraindicated by the WHO (WHO knew?). Yea, let us draw our own inferences.

Reactions: brian64

pappymac

Lifer
Feb 26, 2015
It is also being tested in New Orleans.

"A treatment protocol developed by doctors from Tulane Medical Center, LCMC Health and Ochsner Medical System to guide treatment of COVID-19 patients suggested using hydroxychloroquine — an anti-malaria drug used to treat lupus — and remdesivir, which was developed to treat Ebola.

The drugs, one of which was touted by President Donald Trump as a potential therapy, haven't yet been shown to work in any major clinical trials. Still, supplies appear to be strained across the U.S. as hospitals and other health care providers turn to the experimental therapies in an effort to battle the quickly spreading virus while full trials begin."

I find that reason to have a little hope.

Reactions: Bengel and dcon

aquadoc

Lifer
Feb 15, 2017
New Hampshire, USA
My wife (she has SLE, among other things) has to take this daily to maintain functionality. It pisses me off that the assholes are going to buy all of this up and hoard it ......

Oct 7, 2016
I'd wait for followup studies to corroborate the findings of this single, low sample size study (with graphs that don't even have error bars) before risking your or your family's health.
If a family member had Covid 19, was in the hospital, and you were told they needed a ventilator which wasn’t available, but you were asked to sign a release for the doc to give one of these anti malaria drugs, would you sign it based on what you know now?

This disease is going to kill a lot of people. That was baked in the cake when China “disappeared” doctors and health care workers who tried to get the word out, actively hid this outbreak from the rest of the world in spite of binding international treaty obligations to repor it, and failed for weeks to shut the region down.

Bit that, too, is old news. The only question now is how many of these lives could have been saved but for the big pharma “ we must wait on blinded clinical trials”.and ignore clinical experience stance that the media parrots? Clinical experience is a real thing. Anecdotal evidence is evidence.

“It is interesting that using penicillin for the treatment of infections like pneumococcal pneumonia and bacterial endocarditis never had a randomized, controlled trial because the difference with treatment was so clearly apparent that no one even thought of doing a randomized controlled trial.”Source here

Last edited:

dmcmtk

Lifer
Aug 23, 2013
The long term result of that pressure---since drug developers have been largely unable to find any new useful medicines for decades

That's just not true. For people with MS for example, there have been several newly approved drugs in the last decade, Gilenya, and Tecfidera are the two that come to mind. Cladribine showed efficacy as far back as 2010. I remeber talking to one of the doctors who was working on trying to get it approved at that time. It was finally approved in 2019.

There are other things in your post that are unfortunately true.

Just saying.

Reactions: anotherbob

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
Let's just say anyone who thinks the Big Pharma people haven't bee holding non-stop $trategy $e$$ion$ for the past few months is naive. And the character of those people has been selected for for decades. Amoral, greedy, and self-interested being a pretty good resume.
Alex Azar, current Secretary of Health and Human Services, is a former Big Pharma lobbyist.

Reactions: NomadOrb

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
In the semi-rural NorthEastern USA
Do everything you can to avoid infection. Here's a sobering statistic. Number of ICU beds available per 10,000 people averages out at about 3. We have nothing approaching the capacity to handle the load if people get cocky and it turns out they were wrong.
that's the real danger. Is the medical system being overwhelmed which can also kill people who don't get the virus too. Fun stuff.

Reactions: NomadOrb

georged

Lifer
Mar 7, 2013
An increasingly relevant question in the 21st century:

If a criminal organization is so good at what it does---becomes so successful---that after a while it has enough power (money) to make its activities legal (by influencing lawmakers), is it still a criminal organization?

greeneyes

Lifer
Jun 5, 2018
If a family member had Covid 19, was in the hospital, and you were told they needed a ventilator which wasn’t available, but you were asked to sign a release for the doc to give one of these anti malaria drugs, would you sign it based on what you know now?
No I wouldn't. I'm a biomedical researcher, and in fact our lab has diverted emergency resources to testing some of our group's compounds on mice to evaluate whether they can reduce the 'cytokine storm' on exposure to mouse coronavirus and increase survival. Except in cases of 'compassionate use' I wouldn't trust my family's health to anything that is relatively untested.

The impact of this hydroxychloroquine story in the media around the world is frightening and somewhat disheartening. I searched all of the literature and what I found was a whirlwind of speculation and only *1* publication providing any evidence in humans. Another "source" was something that a Chinese researcher claimed in some press conference while speaking to the press. Not a valid source.

Most of the literature shows that these compounds are effective in cells only, and the only study I could locate in animals demonstrated that it was ineffective in mice (while interferon therapy was effective).

Another fact is that 24 clinical trials involving use of hydroxychloroquine in cases of COVID-19 were registered in China in 2020. Of these, 6 have already been canceled (no reason was given).

That having been said, there is currently a clinical trial underway at the University of Minnesota [1] with a large sample size that will corroborate (or not) the findings from the French group. Naturally, I hope it works. Sadly, people (and in particular, health professionals) have been unethically hoarding the drug in anticipation of a positive result.

This article below represents what I consider to be the best compilation of facts regarding where we currently are with drug trials [2]. I hope it gets updated regularly.

[1] COVID-19 Clinical Trial Launches at University of Minnesota - https://med.umn.edu/news-events/covid-19-clinical-trial-launches-university-minnesota
[2] Coronavirus: Some Clinical Trial Data - https://blogs.sciencemag.org/pipeline/archives/2020/03/19/coronavirus-some-clinical-trial-data

Dec 6, 2019
AL/GA

If a criminal organization is so good at what it does---becomes so successful---that after a while it has enough power (money) to make its activities legal (by influencing lawmakers), is it still a criminal organization?

What now?

olkofri

Lifer
Sep 9, 2017
The Arm of Orion

Technically, yes: legal doesn't mean 'right'. In the praxis, no: just look at the UN and the WHO.

Nowadays, and in the present time and situation, with the laws being so fluid...

Status
Not open for further replies.