PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

mparker762

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 1, 2021
Houston, TX
do they trap spit
no. I've never seen any evidence that drool can make it down the bore. whenever I've gotten liquid out of the mouthpiece it's always been tobacco juice not drool.
do they trap condensed water from the smoke stream
yes. they leverage the ideal gas law (Ideal gas law - Wikipedia - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ideal_gas_law) to cool the smoke stream and condense moisture, which then is collected in the bottom of the trap. gourd calabashes do the same thing, as do "reverse calabash" designs. how much this helps is up for debate, personally I find it's roughly as effective as say a savinelli balsa filter, except that it has the advantage of not needing filter replacement and the disadvantage of a more involved cleaning process instead of just throwing the filter away. There are some tobaccos that I prefer smoking in a calabash or peterson system pipe, either because I think the condensation process improves the taste, or because it reduces the red virginia bite enough to make the tobacco enjoyable.

Reactions: Briar Lee and BROBS

BROBS

Lifer
Nov 13, 2019
IA
On most days, I keep a pipe clenched, and I've never drooled down the stem. I am not even sure how I'd do that, since my teeth are above any water line... and, I've not drooled since I was a baby, IF I drooled back then even. I am not sure what to think about grown men drooling. I know, I know... it's not your fault, just happens. Try to keep your dirty knuckles off my carpet, and breathe through your nose once in a while.

My apologies to about half the forum that I've just insulted. Feel free to punch me in the face. puffy
You must not ever look down?

Fine, I’ll admit I sometimes have a saliva problem. On a straight pipe a quick flip of the wrist expels it.