PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

didimauw

Staff member
Jul 28, 2013
Burlington WI
The picture is much bigger than that.

There's a rapidly increasing percentage of the population who grew up with search engines who haven't a clue how to do actual research.

"Ask and it appears before you" is to knowledge what ordering from a menu is to cooking.

All manner of skills aren't learned, connections lost, processes never seen, and strategies made invisible. And synthetic reasoning is impossible without them.
Heard, agreed and understood!

But I am thinking some of the members, don't actually care what the answer is. Some are more interested in the conversation on the WAY TO the answer. It's the journey, not the destination? Lol

georged

Lifer
Mar 7, 2013
I dig some of Briar Lee’s commentary, but I have to be in the mood for it. And, if you’re not in the mood for it…just use your scroll apparatus appropriately and move on. This is forum & a forum is for speaking your mind, getting educated or otherwise talking horse 💩. Anyway, keep talking @Briar Lee …I don’t get the idea a few dismissives are going to halt your colloquialistic commentary anyways… so have at it hoss. 🫡☕

I was referring to things conceptually, with no one specifically in mind.

Which is the rapidly increasing expectation by people in general---though the younger they are the more pronounced the tendency---to view a tray of "fact like" information chunks as knowledge, and all that's required to "know' the subject is sound a call for the people around you to dump it at your feet.

As I said before, there's a HUGE difference between being able to list a food recipe's ingredients and actually being able to prepare the dish in a kitchen.

The reason I started the thread was because the "Bring me what I need!" approach was becoming common on this board.

sardonicus87

Lifer
Jun 28, 2022
Lower Alabama
I was referring to things conceptually, with no one specifically in mind.

Which is the rapidly increasing expectation by people in general---though the younger they are the more pronounced the tendency---to view a tray of "fact like" information chunks as knowledge, and all that's required to "know' the subject is sound a call for the people around you to dump it at your feet.

As I said before, there's a HUGE difference between being able to list a food recipe's ingredients and actually being able to prepare the dish in a kitchen.

The reason I started the thread was because the "Bring me what I need!" approach was becoming common on this board.
I haven't seen it here, but I see this behavior from "one-and-done" types on a Harley forum I am on. They'll post the same question/thread like 5 times in a row in different sub-forums, and then after 30 minutes to an hour, will start getting snotty that nobody has answered them yet, as if it's some help desk where we're paid to watch and answer 24/7. And this happens with people of all ages and types (those that should be tech savvy and those that aren't). Or as if we OWE them an answer for them asking.

It even says quite prominently in the sign-up process that it's just a fan forum, not officially associated with the company, and is meant to be a community for Harley riders.

Last edited:

Briar Lee

Lifer
Sep 4, 2021
Humansville Missouri
I dig some of Briar Lee’s commentary, but I have to be in the mood for it. And, if you’re not in the mood for it…just use your scroll apparatus appropriately and move on. This is forum & a forum is for speaking your mind, getting educated or otherwise talking horse 💩. Anyway, keep talking @Briar Lee …I don’t get the idea a few dismissives are going to halt your colloquialistic commentary anyways… so have at it hoss. 🫡☕

I say warsh instead of wash, if I’m not careful.

Our teachers tried as hard as they could to get us to not talk like hillbillies.

But I’m so grateful at what I was taught at home, church and school.

We went to church three times a week, but never even thought of having anyone go who didn’t want to go, or follow what we believed Christ’s message was.

We called every adult either Sir or Ma’am.

When ladies walked in the room we stood up.

When we saw old people or children who needed assistance we assisted.

But most of all we were unconditionally loyal Americans, who believed America’s best days were yet to come.

There’s still Americans like Ozark hillibilies.

Not as many as formerly, though.

Zero

Lifer
Apr 9, 2021
This is the path that we are on, we will use technology to fulfill our every desire 914WGuX8bmL._AC_UF894,1000_QL80_.jpgand then one day (possibly) it will use us or destroy us the_matrix_neo_awakening.jpg I hope for the best. When I was 14 yrs old, I started framing houses ($3 an hr) back in the mid 80s with my future brother in-law. Working through my summer and winter breaks in highschool; whenever something didn't jive with the prints and caused us problems on the ground, I would make the statement that you could read about building a house or draft one up but that doesn't mean that you could strap on a tool belt and build one (my 14yr old self🙄). Experience is the best teacher... it's the gin talking. Damnit! I gotta get up in 5 1/2hrs

Zero

Lifer
Apr 9, 2021
This is the path that we are on, we will use technology to fulfill our every desire View attachment 286506and then one day (possibly) it will use us or destroy us View attachment 286510 I hope for the best. When I was 14 yrs old, I started framing houses ($3 an hr) back in the mid 80s with my future brother in-law. Working through my summer and winter breaks in highschool; whenever something didn't jive with the prints and caused us problems on the ground, I would make the statement that you could read about building a house or draft one up but that doesn't mean that you could strap on a tool belt and build one (my 14yr old self🙄). Experience is the best teacher... it's the gin talking. Damnit! I gotta get up in 5 1/2hrs
Strap on🤣 beavis-and-butthead-1024x764.jpg

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
I hate looking stuff up---the Internet and search engines make that so much more dreary than when you had to dig through a warehouse of those heavy paper things on shelves as far as you could see---but I still want to know it, right? If other people do the work of finding the information, verifying accuracy/validity/authenticity/etc., typing it out, and setting it in front of me, anyway...

So, being schooled in a schoolful way to best schoolify me on how to optimize my journey of schoolized schoolification is now your problem.

Ready, begin.

I'm in a hurry, too, so don't dawdle.

View attachment 286401
View attachment 286402
View attachment 286403
View attachment 286404
View attachment 286405
There seems to be a pattern here, I think.

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
This is something I don't understand. OK I graduated high school in 2005. Now when I was in middle school, we had a "computer class" where we learned Microsoft Word and making a basic HMTL website, but I believe that class was an elective that not everyone took.

Then in high school, we had a computer class that I think was compulsory, but the main focus was typing.

Later in high school, there was more computer education, but it wasn't a class, and it was compulsory and everyone had to do it. They had this charging cart full of IBM Thinkpads (the one with the red button cursor) that they pushed around to all the classes. This was training specifically and only about how to use a search engine and do research.

Did they not do this at all high schools? Because people my same age and within a few years of my graduation year seem to be clueless as to the fact that search engines even exist, let alone how to use them. Hell, I remember when Google and others had power searching where you could use the dash/minus (-) to exclude terms to refine your searches better (now long deprecated, much to my dismay).

Further compounding the issue with forums is that I assume most people find them by way of a search engine, especially niche forums like this. Do they even try to search for their question, or just jump straight to searching for boards onto which to foist their horribly redundant and already answered 100 billion times a day questions? And did everyone just collectively forget how to use search engines? Like wtf.

Now I understand people currently graduating high school might not have had such training, having grown up with it, it's often presumed they know how to use it (the Internet). But they often don't because they still need to be taught, just because it existed before their birth doesn't mean they intrinsically know how to use it.
My education, to the extent that I had any, was based on necessity. For example, in the early '90's I helped 4 wall a VFX studio to be an alpha site for the Flame System. Of course there was no IT so I taught myself enough UNIX to handle various networking issues between Silicon Graphics workstations, as well as integrating my Mac to be able to talk to them.

I taught myself various applications as the need arose, but boy, the proliferation of sites, apps, and various forms of bullshit over the last couple of decades is astonishing!
To bad that boolean instructions were removed from search engines. I didn't know that that had happened.

The idea isn't to be helpful, like it once sort of was. The idea is to consume you, or force you to pay for search services. Everything online is monetized. Google Images is garbage compared to what it was 15 years ago.

The computer nerds I knew in high school certainly had the last laugh. Some of them went on to found tech companies, make multiple millions in a few years by getting bought out, and for the most part are just having a ball, following their passions.

Joke's on me.

Zero

Lifer
Apr 9, 2021
My education, to the extent that I had any, was based on necessity. For example, in the early '90's I helped 4 wall a VFX studio to be an alpha site for the Flame System. Of course there was no IT so I taught myself enough UNIX to handle various networking issues between Silicon Graphics workstations, as well as integrating my Mac to be able to talk to them.

I taught myself various applications as the need arose, but boy, the proliferation of sites, apps, and various forms of bullshit over the last couple of decades is astonishing!
To bad that boolean instructions were removed from search engines. I didn't know that that had happened.

The idea isn't to be helpful, like it once sort of was. The idea is to consume you, or force you to pay for search services. Everything online is monetized. Google Images is garbage compared to what it was 15 years ago.

The computer nerds I knew in high school certainly had the last laugh. Some of them went on to found tech companies, make multiple millions in a few years by getting bought out, and for the most part are just having a ball, following their passions.

Joke's on me.
Well, if not for you we wouldn't have this most awesome font..if my memory serves me right. (and other works that I enjoyed while growing up)Screenshot_20240208-003037~2.png

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: sablebrush52
Jul 12, 2011

Joke's on me.
Computer nerds everywhere respond ~ "The rise of Quantum computing + AI/ML = Game Changed / Game Over!" Find a nice spot somewhere, go off-grid and enjoy not being put into "The Games"...just yet - puffy
1707374810808.png

HawkeyeLinus

Lifer
Oct 16, 2020
Iowa
School me on —-

Is an Ozark Americanism expression used to politely request an opinion from somebody the learner respects.

In Ozarks society the highest and most exhaulted and honored profession is that of schoolteacher.
My wife and youngest daughter are both too humble to agree with that, so I’ll just say there are no professions more important, IMO.