PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

georged

Lifer
Mar 7, 2013
I hate looking stuff up---the Internet and search engines make that so much more dreary than when you had to dig through a warehouse of those heavy paper things on shelves as far as you could see---but I still want to know it, right? If other people do the work of finding the information, verifying accuracy/validity/authenticity/etc., typing it out, and setting it in front of me, anyway...

So, being schooled in a schoolful way to best schoolify me on how to optimize my journey of schoolized schoolification is now your problem.

Ready, begin.

I'm in a hurry, too, so don't dawdle.

Screen Shot 2024-02-07 at 4.35.03 PM.png
Screen Shot 2024-02-07 at 4.35.22 PM.png
Screen Shot 2024-02-07 at 4.36.01 PM.png
Screen Shot 2024-02-07 at 4.36.17 PM.png
Screen Shot 2024-02-07 at 4.36.36 PM.png

didimauw

Staff member
Jul 28, 2013
Burlington WI
School me on —-

Is an Ozark Americanism expression used to politely request an opinion from somebody the learner respects.

In Ozarks society the highest and most exhaulted and honored profession is that of schoolteacher.
If everyone Google all the answers to pipe smoking, we wouldn't have much of a forum would we?

Ok Google, what's the best tobacco for me? 🤪

georged

Lifer
Mar 7, 2013
If everyone Google all the answers to pipe smoking, we wouldn't have much of a forum would we?

Ok Google, what's the best tobacco for me? 🤪

The picture is much bigger than that.

There's a rapidly increasing percentage of the population who grew up with search engines who haven't a clue how to do actual research.

"Ask and it appears before you" is to knowledge what ordering from a menu is to cooking.

All manner of skills aren't learned, connections lost, processes never seen, and strategies made invisible. And synthetic reasoning is impossible without them.

Briar Lee

Lifer
Sep 4, 2021
Humansville Missouri

There's a rapidly increasing percentage of the population who grew up with search engines who haven't a clue how to do actual research.

"Ask and it appears before you" is to knowledge what ordering from a menu is to cooking.

All manner of skills aren't learned, connections lost, processes never seen, and strategies made invisible. And synthetic reasoning is impossible without them.

All praise be to those who seek the right answer from reliable sources.

The Ozarks I grew up in was populated by old timers who thought the earth was six thousand years old, and flat. They believed in spooks, haunts, curses, all manner of superstions, planting by the Zodiac signs and 100 mile per gallon carburetors. Most didn’t vote because they believed all elections were rigged. They drank from streams and trusted folk remedies more than modern medicine.

My generation believed in the World Book Encyclopedia, the annual World Almanac and Book of Facts, and the World Publishing Edition of the King James Bible (with Concordance which we used religiously).

About twenty five years ago when Ask Jeeves and other search engines came out, I honestly believed every educated person had at their fingertips the means to overcome ignorance.

Boy howdy was I ever wrong.

Most people use the internet to reinforce their ignorance.

Auxsender

Part of the Furniture Now
Jul 17, 2022
Nashville
Aug 1, 2012
I generally ask to be taught, not to be schooled. One indicates willingness to learn, one indicates willingness to be brutally defeated. Michael Jordan was good at schooling, but he wasn't great at teaching. There is English that most of the world can understand and then there is ambiguous slang. We purport to be an international forum yet we have people being schooled instead of taught or educated. The term has irrationally irritated me for a while hence the fact that even if I have relevant knowledge,I will not respond to posts asking to be "schooled". If you really want me to school you, you may not enjoy the results.

Aug 1, 2012
I hate looking stuff up---the Internet and search engines make that so much more dreary than when you had to dig through a warehouse of those heavy paper things on shelves as far as you could see---but I still want to know it, right? If other people do the work of finding the information, verifying accuracy/validity/authenticity/etc., typing it out, and setting it in front of me, anyway...

So, being schooled in a schoolful way to best schoolify me on how to optimize my journey of schoolized schoolification is now your problem.

Ready, begin.

I'm in a hurry, too, so don't dawdle.

View attachment 286401
View attachment 286402
View attachment 286403
View attachment 286404
View attachment 286405
-1000 points for using my least favorite word..."dawdle". Ya b*****d!

Reactions: Briar Lee

sardonicus87

Lifer
Jun 28, 2022
Lower Alabama

This is something I don't understand. OK I graduated high school in 2005. Now when I was in middle school, we had a "computer class" where we learned Microsoft Word and making a basic HMTL website, but I believe that class was an elective that not everyone took.

Then in high school, we had a computer class that I think was compulsory, but the main focus was typing.

Later in high school, there was more computer education, but it wasn't a class, and it was compulsory and everyone had to do it. They had this charging cart full of IBM Thinkpads (the one with the red button cursor) that they pushed around to all the classes. This was training specifically and only about how to use a search engine and do research.

Did they not do this at all high schools? Because people my same age and within a few years of my graduation year seem to be clueless as to the fact that search engines even exist, let alone how to use them. Hell, I remember when Google and others had power searching where you could use the dash/minus (-) to exclude terms to refine your searches better (now long deprecated, much to my dismay).

Further compounding the issue with forums is that I assume most people find them by way of a search engine, especially niche forums like this. Do they even try to search for their question, or just jump straight to searching for boards onto which to foist their horribly redundant and already answered 100 billion times a day questions? And did everyone just collectively forget how to use search engines? Like wtf.

Now I understand people currently graduating high school might not have had such training, having grown up with it, it's often presumed they know how to use it (the Internet). But they often don't because they still need to be taught, just because it existed before their birth doesn't mean they intrinsically know how to use it.

Briar Lee

Lifer
Sep 4, 2021
Humansville Missouri
It

That must be why the MO legislature loves slashing public school funding.

The most exulted and honored profession in all of Ozarks society, Missouri society, and all of The United States of America is “donor”.

I can distinctly remember people bragging about how high their school tax levy was, and how they had a perfect life long record supporting every school tax levy.

Not only was the position of schoolteacher the highest of the high in society my mother earned $200 a month when a field hand earned a dollar a day, in 1945.

When he could find work.

Our family owns twenty acres of timber in Cedar County Missouri.

In the last fifty years the annual tax has decreased each year from twenty some dollars to last year, it was $7.90.

Missouri is now dead last in teacher pay.

Reactions: Bbailey324

Piping Abe

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 27, 2021
Georgia, USA
The Ozarks I grew up in was populated by old timers who thought the earth was six thousand years old, and flat. They believed in spooks, haunts, curses, all manner of superstions, planting by the Zodiac signs and 100 mile per gallon carburetors. Most didn’t vote because they believed all elections were rigged. They drank from streams and trusted folk remedies more than modern medicine
We all know they were mostly right.

Reactions: Chasing Embers

Briar Lee

Lifer
Sep 4, 2021
Humansville Missouri
We all know they were mostly right.

I always thought that when they died of old age, their ignorance would die with them.

America was on a constant, steady, path to a better world.

That was before we could envision cable television and social media, and digital fuel injection.

Instead of 100 mile per gallon carburetors I hear claims of 60 mpg diesel pickups in the babershop.

The same men in black suits come and get the wrong chip that swapped out the 100 mpg carberators.

I used to think they knew, deep in their hearts that was all sheer bullshit.

Not any more.

They are true believers.

Last edited:
Reactions: Bbailey324
May 2, 2018
Bucks County, PA
I dig some of Briar Lee’s commentary, but I have to be in the mood for it. And, if you’re not in the mood for it…just use your scroll apparatus appropriately and move on. This is forum & a forum is for speaking your mind, getting educated or otherwise talking horse 💩. Anyway, keep talking @Briar Lee …I don’t get the idea a few dismissives are going to halt your colloquialistic commentary anyways… so have at it hoss. 🫡☕