PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Cap

Might Stick Around
Oct 8, 2022
S.W Michigan (For Now)
Question:
My new 14 ounce can of Prince Albert has a bad chemical taste and burns my mouth and throat.

Been told its pg and just needs to sit a month or two.

Does this sound right?
Pa is my go to smoke especially in the mornings and i cant even smoke it.

Reactions: Briar Lee

crusader

Can't Leave
Aug 18, 2014
Nebraska
I have a 10 yr old pouch of Capt. Black in my desk at work, still springy and moist.

I hate the stuff and was one of the main reasons I blend my own from wholeleaftobacco.com nowadays.

Maybe it's because I used to spray it on jets when de-icing jets in my 20's. Also the absolute hatred of the smell of antifreeze burning from a car leaking coolant.

Briar Lee

Lifer
Sep 4, 2021
Humansville Missouri
Question:
My new 14 ounce can of Prince Albert has a bad chemical taste and burns my mouth and throat.

Been told its pg and just needs to sit a month or two.

Does this sound right?
Pa is my go to smoke especially in the mornings and i cant even smoke it.
Open the tub and spread it around on a baking pan, then bake at the lowest setting until it dries, if you are in a hurry.

Otherwise leave the lid off.

Reactions: Scottmi and Cap

Briar Lee

Lifer
Sep 4, 2021
Humansville Missouri
About thirty years ago I had the privilege of visiting a huge Phillip Morris cigarette factory in Louisville Kentucky.

There were 32 enormous machines, each the size of a big combine, in four rows eight deep, making more cigarettes in an hour than I could imagine the entire world could smoke in a year.

The smell was indescribably wonderful, of the tobacco.

As we were leaving, they offered all the adults two free packages of cigarettes of the production run we saw being made.

The hostess cautioned us, they were made slightly damp, and full flavor would appear in about five days when they were intended to reach store shelves.

She said the ultimate shelf life of the product was twenty or more years, but they recommended use within six months to one year.

Preservatives are good.

Without them your cellar would turn to dust or rot, depending on humidity.

NomadOrb

(Nomadorb)
Feb 20, 2020
SoCal
I may be wrong here, but isn't some form of pg on every pipe tobacco product in different amounts?

The manufacturer usually adds it on during the curing phase before sale of tobacco.

Added blender pg is probably more rare, however not as uncommon as some would expect, I think.

PipeIT

Lifer
Nov 14, 2020
Hawaii
It’s always been my understanding, that the only reason PG is being used, is to keep the tobacco moist.

If this is true, this doesn’t make sense, in this day and age of technology, that man can’t create a sealed tin that doesn’t leak, so there’s no longer a need for this.

Reactions: Cap

Cap

Might Stick Around
Oct 8, 2022
S.W Michigan (For Now)
It’s always been my understanding, that the only reason PG is being used, is to keep the tobacco moist.

If this is true, this doesn’t make sense, in this day and age of technology, that man can’t create a sealed tin that doesn’t leak, so there’s no longer a need for this.
Think if you follow the $$ trail it will come back to the gov just like that pathetic excise tax they enforce.

yaddy306

Lifer
Aug 7, 2013
Regina, Canada
I don't know where people got the idea that it is only "OTC" tobacco or aromatics that have PG.

Many highly-regarded (on this site) tobaccos contain substantial amounts of PG, such as Wessex Brigade, Dunhill Flake, Early Morning Pipe, Nightcap, Marlin Flake, Solani Silver Flake, Savinelli Punto Oro, Rotary Navy Cut, McConnell Oriental, to name a few.

Rattray Old Gowrie is 4% PG by weight!

PipeIT

Lifer
Nov 14, 2020
Hawaii
I don't know where people got the idea that it is only "OTC" tobacco or aromatics that have PG.

Many highly-regarded (on this site) tobaccos contain substantial amounts of PG, such as Wessex Brigade, Dunhill Flake, Early Morning Pipe, Nightcap, Marlin Flake, Solani Silver Flake, Savinelli Punto Oro, Rotary Navy Cut, McConnell Oriental, to name a few.

Rattray Old Gowrie is 4% PG by weight!

I don’t have the idea it’s only OTC, everyone seems to be using it.

Crap, I wanted to buy Old Gowrie, where did you see it listed with 4%?

Reactions: Scottmi and Cap

yaddy306

Lifer
Aug 7, 2013
Regina, Canada
I personally stay away from blends that are known to have higher PG content in them.

Luckily I’ve switched more to smoking only VAs/VAPers which aren’t known for having a lot of PG in them.

@ADKPiper headaches, interesting, yeah, I say stay away from this crap.

Sorry to rain on your parade, but Hamborger Veermaster by Dan Tobacco has about 3% PG by weight.

Tobacco Additives Database

Reactions: fireground_piper

PipeIT

Lifer
Nov 14, 2020
Hawaii
Sorry to rain on your parade, but Hamborger Veermaster by Dan Tobacco has about 3% PG by weight.

Tobacco Additives Database

I guess I should of said, blends I thought were higher content.

No problem with the Parade here. ;)

Is there a Tobacco Additives Database for other countries besides Europe?

I thought a lot of the European companies might be anti chemicals in their blends, I guess not.