PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipeIT

Lifer
Nov 14, 2020
Hawaii
I posted an article last year on PG, to really try and find some legitimate information and research on.

Some of the information I found was quite interesting.

I don’t see this at all as a completely 100% safe product, not at all.

In fact, the FDA lists it as ‘Generally’ safe.

I personally stay away from blends that are known to have higher PG content in them.

Luckily I’ve switched more to smoking only VAs/VAPers which aren’t known for having a lot of PG in them.

@ADKPiper headaches, interesting, yeah, I say stay away from this crap.

rmbittner

Lifer
Dec 12, 2012
Every time I hear "school me.. ", it reminds me of my old friend who dropped out of highschool due to getting tired of his ass kicked my monks in his catholic school.
I don’t have the Catholic school imagery in my head, but I always want to say, “You’re an intelligent adult with libraries and the Internet at your disposal. School yourself!”

• Haha
Reactions: yohanan and jpmcwjr

rmbittner

Lifer
Dec 12, 2012
but any idea when it was first widely used in tobacco?
I can’t speak directly to PG, but some form of similar hygroscopic substance has been in use in America since at least the 1940s. Writing in 1954 (in his book The Gentle Art of Smoking), Alfred Henry Dunhill notes that the previously popular glycerine was currently being replaced by Diethylene Glycol, which seems like a precursor to today’s PG. At that time, this was entirely an American process—such additives were not allowed by British law—and was done, in part, to ”increase the moisture-holding properties of the leaf.” In other words, it allowed the leaf to retain more of the added aromatic flavorings while protecting against the warmer temperatures in America (at a time when air-conditioning here was not at all common).

A cynic might also point out that this combustible, odorless additive also increases the weight and volume of a product that is sold by weight/volume.

If the “protection against America’s warmer temperatures” was truly a significant factor in the introduction of additional humidification, it begs the question: Now that the majority of Americans live in climate-controlled environments, isn’t it time to stop using hygroscopic additives?

Briar Lee

Lifer
Sep 4, 2021
Humansville Missouri
Propylene glycol is cheap, but it’s not free. Big evil giant American tobacco companies never wasted one mil, much less a penny.

The reason that Prince Albert exploded in sales and popularity in 1907 had a great deal to do with the pocket tin, that helped keep it fresh and moist.

I have a package of Carter Hall in my Yamaha Rhino at the farm so old it was made by RJ Reynolds.

It’s still tasty, moist, fresh, and free of mold.

They added propylene glycol to sell more good tasting, moist and fresh tasting pipe tobacco

Reactions: Scottmi and Cap

MattRVA

Lifer
Feb 6, 2019
Richmond Virginia
Pipe&Tobak on YouTube did a recent video on some of the ingredients in popular blends, I’d recommend checking it out. I tried to post the video here but it didn’t post. Here is the website he used… I couldn’t figure it out but the video is good.

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
In the semi-rural NorthEastern USA
I can’t speak directly to PG, but some form of similar hygroscopic substance has been in use in America since at least the 1940s. Writing in 1954 (in his book The Gentle Art of Smoking), Alfred Henry Dunhill notes that the previously popular glycerine was currently being replaced by Diethylene Glycol, which seems like a precursor to today’s PG. At that time, this was entirely an American process—such additives were not allowed by British law—and was done, in part, to ”increase the moisture-holding properties of the leaf.” In other words, it allowed the leaf to retain more of the added aromatic flavorings while protecting against the warmer temperatures in America (at a time when air-conditioning here was not at all common).

A cynic might also point out that this combustible, odorless additive also increases the weight and volume of a product that is sold by weight/volume.

If the “protection against America’s warmer temperatures” was truly a significant factor in the introduction of additional humidification, it begs the question: Now that the majority of Americans live in climate-controlled environments, isn’t it time to stop using hygroscopic additives?
I think it's now about shelf life and stability. I remember that at one time some brands had bagged and tinned versions and while not explicitly scientific the fact the tin versions would dry out at more normal rate says..... A big part of it is product consistency even if it sits on the shelf for years or if the bag gets some micro tears.
At least it is an additive that does something. Cigarette tobacco is sometimes air fluffed so it takes up more room. And fakes tar and nicotine levels in the machines that test that stuff.

PipeIT

Lifer
Nov 14, 2020
Hawaii
This article I found online is at least open minded, mentioning;

Is Polyethylene Glycol Toxic to Humans?

Then saying it’s complicated and listing 3 reasons.

Hmm 🤔

I wonder, in good sealed tins, is this really necessary?

Seriously, I admit, I’m not the tin engineer here, but sealed tins like C&D uses on their blends, it just doesn’t make sense to me, that PG needs to be added to blends sealed up like this.

Briar Lee

Lifer
Sep 4, 2021
Humansville Missouri
As my hair turns to silver, I’m ever the more grateful to have been raised among the Campbellites.

There were hundreds upon hundreds of books in our home, and thousands more at the Humansville Public Library, and if you asked about something like propylene glycol the first place your Mama would take you was by the World Book Encyclopedia.

The World Publishing Company is gone, but Wikipedia is about the same idea:

—-
Propylene glycol (IUPAC name: propane-1,2-diol) is a viscous, colorless liquid, which is nearly odorless but possesses a faintly sweet taste. Its chemical formula is CH3CH(OH)CH2OH. Containing two alcoholgroups, it is classed as a diol. It is misciblewith a broad range of solvents, including water, acetone, and chloroform. In general, glycols[5] are non-irritating and have very low volatility.[6]
—-

More reading reveals an almost miraculous property of propylene glycol.

—-
Propylene glycol is a colorless innocuous liquid, which has two extremely favorable characteristics for its use in humidors. Firstly, the formation of mold as well as bacteria is actively prevented. Secondly, propylene glycol forms a thin layer on the surface of the humidifier, which absorbs humidity at humidity levels of over 70% and which emits humidity at humidity levels below 70%. In this way, the humidifier is self-adjusting and will automatically stabilize the humidity level at an optimum level of approximately 70%. It might take a few days in the beginning until the propylene glycol forms a surface layer and an optimal humidity level is reached.

——

So propylene glycol is in the same class of miraculous products as a Thermos botttle.

Not only does it attract moisture to humidify tobacco, it also can keep tobacco from being too wet.

But like the little boy said about the Thermos bottle keeping hot coffee hot and iced tea cold,,,,

How do it know, how do it know?.:)