PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

sallow

Lifer
Jun 30, 2013
I don't see how you can compare gun stocks to briar. You don't put tobacco into gun stocks and light it thereby heating the wood. And if you think your pipe is absorbing so much of the oil, cut it in half and look at a cross sectional view. I suspect it will have penetrated a minimal amount. Every time you smoke a pipe, you're exposing it to moisture from the tobacco as well.

I doubt the relative humidity makes much difference to the briar especially if it isn't at either extreme.
If you cut a two star by Lee pipe in half, does that make it a four star?

peregrinus

Lifer
Aug 4, 2019
Pacific Northwest
I like how the OP of your post's ramble all over the place, so that people can post about loose tenons, the way they store their tobaccos, their cigars, without once touching on the cracked briar question. Ha ha.
There are about two thousand hours in the average work year, today.
@cosmicfolklore
Funny, good observation.
I got stuck on wondering who these people are that get by only logging 2k hours a year.
They certainly aren’t self-employed.

@Briar Lee , I appreciate the short trips to Yoknapatawpha County.

Jimmy_Jack

Can't Leave
Jun 24, 2021
There is more to firearm storage than the stock alone. Swings in temp will cause swings in humidity, causing condensation to form on metal and wood parts...both...not just the wood. Quality binoculars are hermetically sealed and have gas injection...humectants are not needed.

Like cigars conversations from my past life, it would seem that sometimes we are over thinking this hobby. Its a pipe...made of wood. There are all sorts of factors that may play into the humidity of said wood/briar...how many inclusions, what is the physical finish (sand blast or clear)...what is the stain finish...how often is it smoked?

I would rather think its more important to consider the humidity of the tobacco.

georged

Lifer
Mar 7, 2013
I like how the OP of your post's ramble all over the place, so that people can post about loose tenons, the way they store their tobaccos, their cigars, without once touching on the cracked briar question. Ha ha.

The board laughed when I said that every word "typed" by the OP was the output of an AI conversation bot. An early-version, real world H.A.L. A more serious version of this sort of thing, programmed to talk about pipes:

A couple months on and a lot fewer are laughin'... nnnn

When enough becomes enough, the real world version of this will go down, of course (substitute the name "Kevin" for "Dave"):

The board laughed when I said that every word "typed" by the OP was the output of an AI conversation bot. An early-version, real world H.A.L. A more serious version of this sort of thing, only programmed to talk about pipes:

A couple months on and a lot fewer are laughin'... nnnn

When enough becomes enough, the real world version of this will go down, of course (substitute the name "Kevin" for "Dave"):

So like an Silicon Valley Ozarkian? Artificial Rumina-ton? A blow-hard-bot? A geria-maton? Old-timer-cyborg?
cyberzarkian... but, if you mean to say that this is the best that someone can come up with for artificial intelligence, then we are all doomed, ha ha.

Briar Lee

Lifer
Sep 4, 2021
Humansville Missouri
There are just so many things to consider and discuss about pipe smoking.

Aside from cobs and meerschaums and a few exotics like morta, a pipe has been the same hunk of briar with a hard rubber stem in the same shape, for over a century. The tobacco we smoke in them hasn’t changed much, either. Choose between aromatics and English, and straight Virginias sometimes with added perique. One can clean a pipe with water, if short of booze.

But if you’d like your pipe to be the perfect humidity, I discovered you only need to be able to store and smoke it, in a climate and humidity controlled home, or office..

I mean, if it’s is good enough for your guitar, you pipes are at least as precious, if not more so.

But the question remains, how to store used cheering gum.

DOES THE SPEARMINT LOOSE IT’S FLAVOR ON THE BEDPOST OVERNIGHT?

Somebody needs to think about these weighty matters, you know?

georged

Lifer
Mar 7, 2013
Anyone notice that's it's coming up on two hours, and the BotTest hasn't been answered yet?

Hmmmmmm?

----

Regarding Mr. Brando, the backstory on why he was so "hidden" in his scenes in Apocolypse Now---just a murky, shadowy figure with a voice---is because he'd gained a shit-ton of weight (i.e. didn't look remotely military), stayed blasted on coke and alcohol, and couldn't memorize his part so had to read it from an off-camera legal pad.

It's all that Coppola could think to do with him, in other words.

But instead of a disaster, Kurtz's iconic character and imagery are what most people remember best about the movie. "Accidental magic" is real. puffy

georged

Lifer
Mar 7, 2013
Another thing about "Mr. Lee"...

He's supposedly from HUMANsville.

That's a town deep in the Missouri backcountry with a population of, like, three. Maybe ten if you count the dogs. (That's even smaller than the crossroads in Canadisia where Sas comes from)

Hmmmmm...

I've met Kevin a few times---enough to know he has a keen sense of humor---and, well, Imma gonna guess that claiming his experimental NON-human chatbot is from "Humansville" was simply too delicious to resist.

Status
Not open for further replies.