PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

grimpuffer

Can't Leave
Aug 29, 2016
What do you do?
Would you get that 1 really nice pipe you’ve been eyeing for some time but never could bring yourself to spend that kind of money?
Or...
Do you buy a couple or several cheaper pipes to add to the collection?
Or...
Buy 1 decent pipe and the rest on tobacco?
Asking for a friend 8)

lasttango

Part of the Furniture Now
Sep 29, 2012
Wilmington, De / Ithaca, NY
If I had to use the credit today I'd get:
A nice Musico pipe (been wanting one) and assortment of burley flakes (tins).
here's a nice one: https://www.smokingpipes.com/pipes/new/musico/moreinfo.cfm?product_id=234557
or
A really nice British Lovat and thirty tins of Royal Yacht.

mikethompson

Lifer
Jun 26, 2016
Near Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Depends on how I got the credit. I can't seeing myself paying out of pocket for a $500 pipe, but if this credit was gifted to me, hmm.
Probably a nice $200ish pipe and the rest on quality tobacco for the cellar

dochudson

Lifer
May 11, 2012
I would go to P&C and take serious advantage of their buy 3 get one free for Dunhills.

tslex

Lifer
Jun 23, 2011
To answer the original question:
I like the idea that we're talking store credit, so it's not like one could redirect the funds to something more practical. I think in that case I'd find a $500 pipe I wanted.
It's not impossible that I would spend $500 of actual funds on a pipe. But it would be pretty unlikely. It's not even a question of means, but of inclination. But if I had $500 that HAD to go to SPC or similar, I think I might.

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
T-man above nailed it for me. In fact, I am thinking of an expensive pipe for my Christmas present± The one I give myself!

bassbug

Lifer
Dec 29, 2016
Couple of hundred on a decent meerschaum, cuz I don't have one and the rest on burley blends :)

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I'd look at the store's pipes at that price, first. An ostentatious pipe would be first choice, but not arbitrarily. I'd look at what they had and decide if I liked it enough. Plan B would be to look at the next lower level of pipes, and spend the rest on tobacco. Or do two pipes if there were two I wanted. I'd probably keep the tobacco down to no more than half the amount. Or if they had a shoot-the-moon pipe beyond the store credit, I'd see if they'd take some of my pipes in trade, though no gift pipes or pipes treasured for other reasons. Often I've found that price alone is not the index of how good a pipe you're getting.

warren

Lifer
Sep 13, 2013
Foothills of the Chugach Range, AK
If a pipe caught my eye, the pipe. Otherwise blends, cleaners, a tour of the humidor could result in a few cigars, a fistful of Czech tools, possibly a card of MMS, and such. Just whatever I was short of at home.

mikethompson

Lifer
Jun 26, 2016
Near Toronto, Ontario, Canada
I would share it with the first ten people in this thread.
stock-photo-good-idea-stamp-72111112.jpg

stickframer

Part of the Furniture Now
Apr 11, 2015
A lifetime supply of pipe cleaners, because after those are taken care of, the rest is gravy! :puffy:
Seriously, I would use the majority for tobacco.

Status
Not open for further replies.