PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

pappymac

Lifer
Feb 26, 2015
I have sometimes saved the dottle into a tin can along with the ashes from the bowl.

That mix was then dumped on an outside flower pot or tomato plant. Someone once told me that this would help control some bugs and pests.

Reactions: ThermionicScott

Choatecav

Starting to Get Obsessed
Dec 19, 2023
Middle Tennessee
I would imagine smoking dottle would be similar to smoking a cigar that was put out and relit. To me it has a stale, old smoke flavor that completely takes away from what the tobacco is supposed to taste like.
I save my dottle for the garden. I have a tub that I dump my ash trays in and once week I toss that tub into the compost or sprinkle it throughout the garden to keep bugs away. Not sure how well it works for bugs, but it at least contributes to the compost.
I agree with this assessment.

With a cigar, if I have a good portion left, I will blow back through the stick to remove as much of the lingering essence and then take a guillotine cutter to cut off the end. If it is a really good stick, I will then place the remaining portion in a baggie. It is fairly decent upon re-light, but never as good as a fresh one.

I just pitch the dottle.

Reactions: jdlander

Chalaw87

Can't Leave
Apr 21, 2021
Northeast TN
I use meer chips in the bottom so there really isn’t enough to harvest. I probably would try it if there was but Im not gonna go to that much trouble. If I were that concerned Id put some cheap neutral tobacco in the bottom and let that be my waste…or a boring blend I know I wont smoke.
How many bowls can you smoke before you replace the meerschaum chips?

jdlander

Lurker
Jul 6, 2024
Salem, OR
The main draw of the dottle mixture isn't that it is dottle, it's the mixture of it. I enjoy being able to light and ponder a bowl that starts off as a stout VaPer, then hits a patch of cavendish before rapidly transitioning to the dark fired of black twist for a while then comes what seems to be a mixture of tonquin topped burley and latakia then back to DF but different now, sweeter and richer more like dark plug, then out pops grosemoor and finally finishing off as a mutt of haunted bookshop with the light ghost of all that came before. It's a wild ride and always unique.
This actually sounds somewhat pleasant... Smoking a pipe is always an adventure, but this pushes it into a whole new level... I'm intrigued.

Reactions: lukifer

lukifer

Might Stick Around
Dec 10, 2022
Minnesota, US
This actually sounds somewhat pleasant... Smoking a pipe is always an adventure, but this pushes it into a whole new level... I'm intrigued.
If you try it, be warned, the nicotine content will be significantly higher and not all combinations are always pleasant ie: just because you like x, y and z doesn't nescessarily mean you will like an xyz combo. But rest assured if you hit a bad patch it will leave quick as it came.

To be clear, when i refer to dottle i mean unburnt, not crispy or blackened tobacco. I separate and toss the ash and burnt bits. And do make sure you dry out the dottle a bit and let it cool before adding it to the jar lest you run the risk of growing mold.

Reactions: jdlander