PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

jdlander

Lurker
Jul 6, 2024
Salem, OR
I was reading a different thread here on the Forum, and someone said this:
If the bottom 1/3 of my bowl goes out I toss the dottle in the "mystery jar" and give it a stir. Every once in a while when I am significantly vitamin N deficient I will pack up a bowl of dottle mixture. Always provides a heavy, intriguing and rather pensive smoke.
WHAT?! Is this a thing?

Do you toss your dottle into a jar to let it dry out with all the other dottle so that you can eventually smoke it later?

Last edited by a moderator:

lukifer

Might Stick Around
Dec 10, 2022
Minnesota, US
I was reading a different thread here on the Forum, and someone said this:

WHAT?! Is this a thing?

Do you toss your dottle into a jar to let it dry out with all the other dottle so that you can eventually smoke it later?
Yep, I do, that was my post.

I very well might be the only one. Not for everyone I will admit. Always an interesting smoke though.

Auxsender

Part of the Furniture Now
Jul 17, 2022
Nashville
No. Would never. In places like Canadia and Australia where pipe tobacco is like 50 times more expensive than in the states I think I…still wouldn’t do it.
Hard no for me, dawg.

• Haha
Reactions: BrightDarkEyes

Copperhead

Lurker
Jun 4, 2024
If it was the same tobacco? I'd try a half-pipe full, I don't think I could get through a full pipe of dried dottle...

Nor could I mix blends together, but to each his own.

When I was a teen, I'd scrape my bowls for resin all the time....but that had a payoff.

Maybe you could press it into a tobacco/resin cake...lol

Feb 12, 2022
North Georgia mountains.
I would imagine smoking dottle would be similar to smoking a cigar that was put out and relit. To me it has a stale, old smoke flavor that completely takes away from what the tobacco is supposed to taste like.
I save my dottle for the garden. I have a tub that I dump my ash trays in and once week I toss that tub into the compost or sprinkle it throughout the garden to keep bugs away. Not sure how well it works for bugs, but it at least contributes to the compost.

Pipeh

Might Stick Around
Feb 28, 2023
Southern California
I've collected it. After a smoke, I would just dump the dottle and ash into a jar. After a few months, I would put the contents into a sieve, and get rid of the dusty ash, then jar up the remainder. I've only smoked a couple bowls, however. It wasn't bad at all, and I wouldn't have much objection to doing it again, but I have too much tobacco that I've been trying to make my way through, and lately I haven't been collecting it. But it wasn't a bad experience.

lukifer

Might Stick Around
Dec 10, 2022
Minnesota, US
I would imagine smoking dottle would be similar to smoking a cigar that was put out and relit. To me it has a stale, old smoke flavor that completely takes away from what the tobacco is supposed to taste like.
I will admit it does have a certain resin-y and heavy quality to it kind of like cigar leaf all the way through. But its not too bad. Its very similar to relighting a bowl you smoked half of and let sit for a few hours. The flavors meld and kind of evolve because you essentially lightly stoved the tobacco. Toppings do drastically diminish but I don't do too much with aros.

I have found that quite a few blends get better in the last half of the bowl, most make a lateral change, admittedly some get worse and very few don't change at all. If it's a blend that gets drastically worse in the last half of the bowl I won't add any of it to the mystery jar or smoke more than a tin of it. Roughly only 1 in 12 fresh bowls aren't smoked in their entirety, so I don't always add to it.

Also worth noting that I smoke what I am assuming is wetter tobacco than most. The only things I will regularly even think about drying before packing are gawith blends and even then, no more than 10-15 min at most. If its wet I just take my time getting a good light and take it slow throughout. I would also assume that the moisture content of the smoke sort of "cases" the tobacco at the bottom of the bowl which somewhat prevents it from being stale like a relit cigar.

I enjoy a variety of blends and hardly ever repeat the same blend twice in a row. I keep about a half dozen tins in a rotation, all different, and smoke 2 to 5 of them per day. The contents of the jar are always changing.

The main draw of the dottle mixture isn't that it is dottle, it's the mixture of it. I enjoy being able to light and ponder a bowl that starts off as a stout VaPer, then hits a patch of cavendish before rapidly transitioning to the dark fired of black twist for a while then comes what seems to be a mixture of tonquin topped burley and latakia then back to DF but different now, sweeter and richer more like dark plug, then out pops grosemoor and finally finishing off as a mutt of haunted bookshop with the light ghost of all that came before. It's a wild ride and always unique. Definitely not for everyone though.