Drucquers Banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

whiskeymick

Lurker
Dec 18, 2009
London UK
I have a Savinelli 305 (Roma).

Love it - it's best features are the thick walls (so it smokes very cool) and wide, curved brim which slopes nicely into the bowl. The air flow over the bowl keeps it lit superpbly outdoors (my favorite pipe for taking the dog for a walk!).

Second only to some of my Petersons and equally, better than some of my Petersons!!

Great, great pipe!!!!

eddharbin

Lurker
Feb 17, 2010
I have the DC #310 , got it for $40 out the door at the Humidor Pipe shop here in Huntsville . I have 2 other Sav's and all three are great smokes . One is an Estella from my grandfathers collection that is at least 25 years old , maybe older . The #10 is a great smoke , looks nice and at that price a super buy . The local shop had all styles for $40 out the door .

brazz

Starting to Get Obsessed
Dec 16, 2009
I,m Looking into purchasing Savinellis' Bings' Favorite natural smooth has anyone ever

smoked,seen,held one I'm very interested in feedback It's a $100.00 pipe which is a substantial amount for me to spend on a pipe. When my sons get out of college I'm going to spend a little more on something more high end, but that won't be for another 3 years. I guess the waiting will make it that much sweeter.

python

Administrator
Staff member
Apr 8, 2009
Maryland
pipesmagazine.com
I have the Savinelli Bings Favorite Rusticated pipe:
savinelli-bings-favorite-600x192.jpg

The bowl is tall and narrow and it feels pretty good in the hand.
For some reason I don't smoke it very often. I think it might have to do with the size of the bowl. I think it is kind of small because it is tall and narrow.
It would probably make a great flake pipe if you like to fold and stuff your flakes.
I need to start smoking it more often.

dunendain

Part of the Furniture Now
Jul 22, 2009
My next pipe will be rusticated, because of the supposed cooler smoke. The look pretty damn cool as well.

dillydallydan

Lurker
Feb 26, 2010
All of the pipes shown have at least one thing in common. I want them! Beautiful pipes. I will be adding a Savinelli to my herd of pipes someday soon.

maxpeters

Can't Leave
Jan 4, 2010
I hope they do decide to become an advetiser also.

I am looking at their Cricket line. I have thought about getting a leather covered bowl for a longtime, but just never have. I hope they still make them. I've seen some on other sites, so maybe they will continue to make them until I get around to ordering one.

A week or so ago my friend and I went antiquing. She saw an old pipe in a display case and wanted to know what I thought. It was a Longchamp pipe that had really been used by whomever owned it previously.

I told her to forget it. It was interesting because it had the bowl covered in leather, but I had no intention of buying it, or even smoking something like that.

When we left the store she handed me a package. It was the Longchamp pipe. Lol. She said she knew I wanted it.

I took it home and cleaned it up as best as I could. After a couple days of a salt and whisky treatment and cleaning, I did smoke it. The leather cover did somewhat reduce the heat from the bowl, and it looked kinda neat.

So when I get the money to spare, I think I will order me a new one from Savinelli.

jcsoldit

Lifer
Mar 27, 2010
Wisconsin
I have 5 Savinelli pipes and they are all great smokers. 2-Autographs, 2-Estellas, and 1 - Punto Oro. I purchased one of the Estella pipes new back in the mid-80's and it is still one of my best smokers.

cortezattic

Lifer
Nov 19, 2009
Chicago, IL
Max, that was a great little story!
Hmmm, now if only you had sold all your tobacco to buy a comb for her hair...

That gives me a idea for a short story...

soren

Lurker
Apr 6, 2010
I was thinking about getting a Savinelli pipe, but havent found a design that really grabs me. I sorta like these but am unsure about the cap feature.
tortuga-305z.gif

tortuga-602z.gif

pstlpkr

Lifer
Dec 14, 2009
Birmingham, AL
I do not own a pipe with a cap.

I suppose it is intended for use when you "pocket" your pipe.

I think its a good idea, my concerns are that; as the cake builds, or the repetitive use of the cap when the pipe is warm the cap may no longer fit properly.
They both are beautiful pipes.

If you are considering one for your pocket, then I would have to opt for the top model.

However, my personal favorite based on style is the bottom.

You definitely have a conundrum.

python

Administrator
Staff member
Apr 8, 2009
Maryland
pipesmagazine.com
I own a Savinelli Tortuga pipe

savinelli-tortuga-1271-600x218.jpg

It came with one of those caps like in the picture that Soren posted. I have never used the cap. It has a fairly large piece of foam/rubber attached to it that goes into the bowl.
The piece of foam/rubber is about an inch long which would mean the bowl has to be at least halfway filled or smoked for it to fit. I just put it in the box and never took it out.

jonesing

Part of the Furniture Now
Feb 11, 2010
Anyone have a Sav 611?
How about any of their system pipes with the P lip type mouthpiece?
I'm eying a Sav 2611.

soren

Lurker
Apr 6, 2010
pstlpkr,
I like that second one too and think it may smoke better.
I have been looking for a new pipe. Dunhills are just awesome but I dont feel like spending the cash on them yet.
I may just buy a Savinelli. They do have a model similar in design to the second one I posted that do not come with a cap. Im not sure what the difference is beyond price.
SAV28-601Z.gif

roma-lucite-602.gif

pstlpkr

Lifer
Dec 14, 2009
Birmingham, AL
Morning Soren,
I personally have no experience with Savinelli.

I would defer to Bob or some of the other guys for advice.
As for Dunhill pipes we had a short discussion about them not long ago.

I think everyone was of a similar mind; that Dunhill pipes may be a work of art, the cost may be prohibitive, unless you buy an estate pipe or in an online auction.

bullwinkle

Lurker
Feb 23, 2010
I picked this one up from CupofJoes for $130+/-. Then a couple of weeks later I found it's twin in a local shop's estate section for $60. For a total of 3 Sav's and they all are great lookers and smokers.
Sav%20Pipe1.jpg

dudleydipstick

Can't Leave
Dec 13, 2009
Bullwinkle,
I usually avoid pipes with bands mainly due to cost and I can live with or without them.
In the case of your pipe there, it makes it look perfect. It wouldn't look nearly as sharp without the band. Nice pipe indeed.

soren

Lurker
Apr 6, 2010
I like the style of that one bullwinkle. The price range is just right for me too.
They do sell Sevinelli here, though I wonder if we can get that particular type here where Im at.

Status
Not open for further replies.