PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

bookn3rd5

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 29, 2012
Hello everyone,
I have come down with a case of PAD recently and have decided to purchase two Savinelli pipes in the near future. After cruising through various websites and models of Savinellis, narrowed my preferences down to three models: the 316 (KS), 606 (KS), and 614 shapes. I really have come to love the appearance of the 316 model and will get a pipe of that model for sure (although I initially found it a bit odd, something about it calls to me; odd how certain shapes are able to do that). However, I'm a little torn between the other two models. I like the appearance of both of these shapes - they are both bent pipes, with the 614 being more extreme. I can't seem to decide which one to take the plunge with. So for those of you who have smoked either (or both) of these shapes - the 606KS and the 614 - what were your experiences? Are there any pros/cons that you think others should be aware of? Would you care to provide any advice or suggestions? I am concerned that the 614 may be more prone to gurgling/excess moisture due to the extra bend, but I am by no means ruling it out yet.
For a bit of background - I've been smoking pipes for a little over two years, mainly during the spring/summer/fall. I have grown to love the relaxing nature of the hobby and appreciate that perspective is everything - what one person might love, another might hate. I was just hoping that some of your reflections might tilt the scales one way or the other for me. Any and all feedback is of course appreciated! Thank you in advance!

elbert

Part of the Furniture Now
Mar 10, 2015
I don't have a Sav, but I expect that won't be the case for much longer. Except I keep finding Stanwell's that call to me! I've been thinking about the tandem series, since I don't have a churchwarden yet--As a Tolkien fan, I just don't feel right about that!
Love the look of that 614, but its gotta be a nightmare getting a pipe cleaner through that thing!
-Josh

tarak

Lifer
Jun 23, 2013
South Dakota
I'm a huge fan of Savinelli and own multiple, including the 606. It's a great smoker, but I find i don't often reach for it because the bowl is just huge! So, if you like a really large bowl, go for it. Something a little more average in bowl size/smoke length- Id shoot for the other one.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
bookn', your problem is, you won't go wrong with any of these. Any pipe can gurgle, but I don't think any of these are more susceptible. This frees you up to follow your heart and choose the one that speaks to you at the moment. I have six or seven Savs, some of them well over 30 years old that I bought new, and none have ever let me down. Just be sure you are happy with the balsa filters, or the adaptor they offer, or buy one of their pipes without a filter, of which there are several series. Other than those hurdles, I believe it is just a matter of choosing the one that speaks to your eyes and heart. Savs are just remarkably dependably good smoking pipes.

brass

Lifer
Jun 4, 2014
United States
The 316 is a fabulous shape with some interesting finis options. Think I got a PAD attack just looking at the pics. I'll try to sleep it off.
For my money, the pot shapes smoke terrifically and I love all my pots.
The 606 appears to be able to take a pipe cleaner more easily than the 614. Personally, if I can't decide between two pipes, I'll buy both or wait until I find a pipe that I can't refuse.
Pax

Mar 30, 2014
wv
I have 8 or 10 Savinelli's and they all smoke great. Never had a Sav I didn't like. I have a 316 and love it. Don't forget the 320. Out of all I have, my 320's are my favorite to smoke.
9DLBCKmm.jpg

elbert

Mar 10, 2015
"Personally, if I can't decide between two pipes, I'll buy both..."
Now that sounds ruinous! Typically for me I'm looking to go after a specific style and finish, and its just a matter of finding the 'right' execution of that style. My last big pipe crisis was my quest for a straight, sandblasted or rusticated black billiard (...oh, you're a fan of the RDJ/Jude Law Sherlock Holmes films, too? ...Yeah...). So I narrowed it down to two or three that all looked almost the same, and made a decision based on length, weight, and other subtle differences. For some reason its seldom a matter of deciding between two really different pipes in my world.
-Josh

agnosticpipe

Lifer
Nov 3, 2013
In the sticks in Mississippi
I like Savinelli pipes, and have 10 of them. I think they are some of the best smoking pipes around, and represent a great value. I don't have any big buck Autographs, but the pipes I have I love.

Here are the last 3 I bought, all estate pipes from ebay, and all under $30. Hard to beat...

img_0239-600x493.jpg

bigpond

Lifer
Oct 14, 2014
The 316 is a lovely, elegant pipe. I can see why you're set on that one. Between the other two I would probably go for the 614 because it had the least in common with the 316. The 614 is a no holds bard bent. I don't have any of these so take this for what it's worth.
I gotta agree with Daniel. The 320 is an awesome, life altering pipe. I would recommend one to anyone unless they clenched exclusively. Best bang for the buck pipe I've ever bought.

brass

Lifer
Jun 4, 2014
United States
Elbert is correct. This thread has cost me $200+.
I really fell in love with the Savinelli 316 shape. Sort of like a prince pot. Or is a prince a pot?
Couldn't make up my mind between the Porto Cervo or Alligator Brown. So ordered both. May return one on inspection. Color is particularly hard to render in Internet pics.

This is why I don't have a lot of artisan pipes, except a couple of estates. I find so many handsome Savinellis, Stans and other factory pipes that smoke great, that I haven't had to go that way - yet.
Probably will sell some of these to get at least one artisan collectable. Or maybe one of those Todd Johsnon briar Calabashes.

Pax

elbert

Mar 10, 2015
Ha! If it's any consolation, Brass, those are a couple of beautiful pipes. That first one is especially stunning.

brass

Lifer
Jun 4, 2014
United States
Thanks, Elbert. I'm partial to the Alligator brown as well. If my wife makes me choose between one or the other, I'll likely keep the Alligator over the Cervos.
Shhh. Don't tell her. If I really, really want one pipe, I sometimes buy two. Reasoning is if I only buy one and keep it, I can't make her happy at all. If I buy two and HAVE to return one, I can at least make her partially happy. :twisted:

bookn3rd5

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 29, 2012
Thanks a lot for the feedback everyone! Haha, we must have similar taste Brass - I ALSO ordered the 316 KS model in the Porto Cervo finish. Something about the shape and the finish of that pipe just calls to me! It will be my first pot shape too - can't wait to get it!
And I have heard a lot of good things about the Sav 320, but it's just not a shape that calls to me I guess. I'm not saying that I think the shape is ugly by any means - just at this point, it's not a shape I'm interested in pursuing. But I do love shopping for pipes - sometimes you end up with shapes that you had never even considered before, like me choosing the 316. I appreciate all of the suggestions regardless :)
I also love the shape of the 606 pipe as well, so I took the plunge on that one. I got it in a relatively new (to me) finish for Savs - the Columbus line. Anyways, I do have two other Savinellis with smaller bowls (a Duca Carlo bent bulldog and a Clark's favorite) so these two pipes, which have very large bowls, will allow me to mix it up more often.
I'm very excited about these pipes! I will try to include the pictures below! If they don't work, I will just post the link. Very excited!
The 606 I got in the Columbus Santa Maria finish:

moreinfo.cfm

http://www.smokingpipes.com/pipes/new/savinelli/moreinfo.cfm?product_id=170610
And the 316 I got in the Porto Cervo Rusticated finish:

moreinfo.cfm

http://www.smokingpipes.com/pipes/new/savinelli/moreinfo.cfm?product_id=171711

bookn3rd5

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 29, 2012
Let's try this again for the pictures:
The Sav 316 KS in Porto Cervo Rusticated finish:

Savinelli%20316%20KS_zpsahmofuce.jpeg

The Sav 606 KS in the Columbus Santa Maria finish:

Sav%20606%20view%202_zpsd57k0rky.jpeg

Savinelli%20606_zpsyh3ovl1q.jpeg

dmcmtk

Lifer
Aug 23, 2013
The 606 is a great shape, the slightly smaller 602 is an excellent smoker also. You got two great looking pipes.

maxx

Apr 10, 2015
If I were to get a Savinelli, here's what I'd choose, not wanting a filtered pipe, and liking sandblasts.
002-033-20264.jpg

elbert

Mar 10, 2015
Lovely pics--I think I've concluded that Savinelli does a great job of Sandblasting and Rustication. *drool...*

brass

Lifer
Jun 4, 2014
United States
Lovely pics--I think I've concluded that Savinelli does a great job of Sandblasting and Rustication. *drool...*
and they're AFFORDABLE... and they SMOKE great... and they come in CLASSIC shapes
not that I'm really a fan. :wink:
Pax

bookn3rd5

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 29, 2012
Agreed, I am gradually turning into a fan of savinelli. I am drawn to their shapes/finishes and they have a price range that can fit to a variety of preferences. For some reason I doubt the two I ordered will be my last ;)

Reactions: Dandy Pipesmoker
Status
Not open for further replies.