PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Dmitri1516

Might Stick Around
Jul 7, 2022
Title edited for caps and brevity. Please capitalize proper names.
Hi guys, I'm not sure if it's normal for my savinelli pipe to make a wheezing noise while it's lighted up ?
May I know what could be the possible reasons why it's making such noises ?

Thanks

Last edited by a moderator:
I don't think there is a reason to be concerned too much. It's the airway. You could use it as an indicator of when you are drawing too hard to keep your draw more gentle to slow your cadence for a cooler smoke. It most likely will go away as cake builds in the shank. Or, you could ream out the shank a tad. I don't recommend this... but, if you insist, use a drill bit that just fits in a hand vice. Do not use a drill.

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
In the semi-rural NorthEastern USA
What Cosmic said plus the only issue is that it's annoying and attention grabbing. Basically the problem is just that it's noisy. If it lead to another problem you'd complain about that. (such as if the draw was bad and the pipe smoked poorly, which how well a pipe smokes is a matter of personal taste to a point).

Reactions: CoffeeAndBourbon

rmbittner

Lifer
Dec 12, 2012
You’ve already gotten solid advice. I’ll just add that if your pipe starts whistling “Colonel Bogey March,” you should smoke in public and pass a hat.

verporchting

Lifer
Dec 30, 2018
Check to see if the balsa wood filter is the culprit and/or if the plastic adapter (sometimes used instead of the filter - just a black plastic tube inserted where the filter would fit) is making the noise. If either are present just remove them and run a pipe cleaner through the stem and through the stummel while the pipe is disassembled. I don’t use either but it’s a likely place for a whistle to originate.

Reactions: CoffeeAndBourbon

OzPiper

Lifer
Nov 30, 2020
Sydney, Australia
Hi guys, I'm not sure if it's normal for my savinelli pipe to make a wheezing noise while it's lighted up ?
May I know what could be the possible reasons why it's making such noises ?

Thanks
Doing what comes naturally 😁
The German word for pipe “pfeife” translates as “whistle” (fife)

If the problem persists, enlarging the airway may help

Reactions: ThermionicScott