PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

rhogg

Can't Leave
Jun 14, 2011
My Savinelli's are all great consistent smokers. I have other pipes I love but I have lots of Sav's because they are 1/4-1/2 the price of others I love.
Honestly the best smoking pipe I own is an "unfinished" 601 with a vulcanite stem. The pipe was

joshremy

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 11, 2012
I know this is an old thread, but I had to say something
I LOVE my Bing's Favorites. I have 3 which each take a day in my 7 day rotation of regular pipes! A honey natural, a sand blast dark, and a two tone like sand blast with contrasting rim.
They smoke great, fairly cool, and they are light which is great since I am a clencher! I often work with my hands or type on my iPad or read with a pipe in my mouth so I need my hands free.
You can't go wrong with a Bing's Favorite!

englishdave

Starting to Get Obsessed
Dec 31, 2012
Denver, CO
I have just finished a bowl of GLP Blackpoint in my Savinelli Bing's Favorite (rusticated), and I'll agree with all the fellows here: a lightweight, good smoking pipe. I picked mine up a few years ago and had not smoked it for quite a while. It is now in my regular rotation, and I can't imagine why it was not before. I was just browsing for another Sav only a few minutes before I jumped on the forum. PAD is kicking in.

wildcat

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 1, 2012
I know this is an old thread, but I had to say something

Glad you bumped it!
I love Bing Crosby! One (or two!) of these pipes are on my wishlist!

bjarketn

Lurker
Sep 24, 2013
Denmark
I own a Bing's Favorite, and I thoroughly enjoy smoking it.
I'm a little skeptical of this claim, Checotah. This has been discussed before, but I'm not sure that smoke would be noticeably cooler after travelling an extra inch (at most) of stem.
Any physicists out there?

As a matter of fact, I study physics :P Fourier's law of heat conduction states that the heat flux (the amount of energy transferred per unit time per unit of surface area) depends on the physical characteristics of the ''barrier'' through which the heat is conducted, and is proportional to the temperature gradient across the barrier.
Let us assume (just for a 'back-of-the-envelope calculation') that you draw smoke so that it travels with the same velocity regardless of the length of the pipe. Let us also assume that the stem maintains the same average temperature regardless of length (this is, of course, only approximately true). In that case, the total energy transfer per unit of time ("power", in the technical sense) is proportional to the area of the pipe stem, and thus proportional to the length of the stem. In that case, the energy dissipated through a 14cm stem is 1.4 times that of a 10cm stem (just rough measurements of my two nearest pipes).
My personal experience is that long-stemmed pipes smoke somewhat cooler, even if it's only a difference of a few centimeters.

Reactions: telescopes
May 3, 2010
Las Vegas, NV
I did acquire a rusticated Bing's Favorite back in February of this year from my dad as a birthday gift. It's been a good smoker. I've thoroughly enjoyed it and can't wait to pick up the Clarke and Ginger.

jupiter457

Lurker
Oct 31, 2013
I was considering this pipe also, as my first "real" pipe. I'm new to pipes and wondered if it will be hard to clean this pipe considering its length. Is it hard to push a cleaner all the way down the stem? Apologies in advance for such an amateur's question.
Jupiter

gtclark

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 3, 2013
I have a Bing's Favorite, and have no problem cleaning it - a regular pipe cleaner will make it to the end with just a 1/2 inch to spare.
It's a great pipe - you won't go wrong getting one. Just be forewarned the bowl is quite deep, so you may have a tough time burning to the bottom of the bowl if you're just getting started as a pipe smoker.

papipeguy

Lifer
Jul 31, 2010
Bethlehem, Pa.
jupiter, you shoud also know that the Bing's Favorite comes with a balsa wood filter. Frankly, I took it out and never looked back and never had any issues.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Savenelli's Bing's is an all-time favorite by all accounts. I have four or five Savs, no Bing's, but a Sav churchwarden

601 that is at terrific smoke. It's just right, not too long, well bent for holding. A favorite among favorites.

Status
Not open for further replies.